FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Guest made to leave UA club when I left (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1616427-guest-made-leave-ua-club-when-i-left.html)

cbrown5294 Sep 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Guest made to leave UA club when I left

For 10+ years I have often times taken an earlier flight by an hour or so than my companion but as we entered the club in SEA the agent asked if we were on separate flights and I said yes....the agent said when I leave my guest must exit and if I did not like it we both could just not enter (total attitude) I know the rules on the website say member must accompany the guest but to kick them out when I go? Is this a common thing or just a SEA lounge dragon thing?
If this is common or occurring more often I doubt I will renew since very often we are on different flights back home

Baze Sep 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Technically the guest has to leave when you do as when you leave they are no longer your guest, they are just using the club. Is it enforced? No so much. But with all the crowding I think it is a good thing.

mahasamatman Sep 28, 2014 6:33 pm

This is very good news! Finally something pro-customer.

worldtrav Sep 28, 2014 6:46 pm

A change I like!

DWFI Sep 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 23595642)

Given that the OP, a customer, finds this very anti-customer, I would assume this statement is intended to be quite sarcastic.

mgcsinc Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm

It's the policy, but should not be enforced, and it probably means the agent was just feeling like being a horrible mean person.

When I walk in with companions, I don't expect the agent to ask anything at all about my companions or their plans, and I would be taken aback if they did.

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 23595703)
Given that the OP, a customer, finds this very anti-customer, I would assume this statement is intended to be quite sarcastic.

Indeed. Alienating actual club members is completely idiotic.

SunLover Sep 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 23595607)
If this is common or occurring more often I doubt I will renew since very often we are on different flights back home

While rarely enforced this policy has been around for a while, and is clearly stated in the United Club membership Terms & Conditions: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...nitedClub.aspx

Admittance - United Club members may bring their spouse and children under 21, or as many as two guests, into a United Club location. Members must accompany their family and guests during their United Club visit.

I think under normal circumstances at hub locations the member could kind of drift out of the club and no one would be the wiser. But depending on the dragons and at the smaller less busy clubs it might cause an enforcement issue.

SunLover

mahasamatman Sep 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Not in the least.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 23595706)
Alienating actual club members is completely idiotic.

What about the customers who can't even get into the club because it's so crowded? I guess you think they have no rights? What about liability issues for having someone in the club who is not a member and has no member to accept resposiblity? Companies have the right to determine which customers are worth keeping. If customers have unreasonable expectations and are flaunting and abusing the published rules, they deserve to be alienated.

iluv2fly Sep 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 23595642)

Here's my take:

It's customer friendly to those customers who pay for the use of the club and follow the rules. Less crowding when all parties leave.

cbrown5294 Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

I forgot to add he made the comment "if you leave and he gets drunk then it's your fault and you will loose your membership" I have no idea where the hell that one came from..just downright nasty. I get there are rules and the more I think about it if he would have approached it in a different way it would have been better. Oh and considering there were about a dozen people in the club it's certainly not for lack of space.

mgcsinc Sep 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 23595758)
Not in the least.

What about the customers who can't even get into the club because it's so crowded? I guess you think they have no rights? What about liability issues for having someone in the club who is not a member and has no member to accept resposiblity? Companies have the right to determine which customers are worth keeping. If customers have unreasonable expectations and are flaunting and abusing the published rules, they deserve to be alienated.

My guests have as much a right to be there as I do, and as far as I'm concerned, another member doesn't have more of a right to be there than my guest. Guests of UC members are not second-class citizens.

The liability issue is pure make-believe. It has zero basis in law.

Pretending like bringing in well-behaved guests is somehow breaking the rules is so ridiculous I can't even.

blug Sep 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 23595773)
I forgot to add he made the comment "if you leave and he gets drunk then it's your fault and you will loose your membership" I have no idea where the hell that one came from..just downright nasty.

If you didn't say anything rude first, then yes, that's a bit nasty. And IMO that should be the complaint in your original post, not the agent enforcing the rule. :)

Baze Sep 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 23595785)
My guests have as much a right to be there as I do, and as far as I'm concerned, another member doesn't have more of a right to be there than my guest. Guests of UC members are not second-class citizens.

The liability issue is pure make-believe. It has zero basis in law.

Pretending like bringing in well-behaved guests is somehow breaking the rules is so ridiculous I can't even.

Yes, the guest has a right to be there, when you are there. Once you leave they have no rights to be there. And as noted above, the rules of the club state that the guest must be accompanied by the member. So if you leave, how are you still with the guest. The guest is not a member, you are. If the member is not there, the guest ceases to have rights to be there. Don't like the rules of the club, you don't have to be a member anymore. But as said above, it seems to be rarely enforced. I for one would love it if they enforced it. During peak times it can be extremely crowded in the clubs and having people in the clubs that are not entitled to be there makes the situation worse. Once you leave, your guest needs to leave.

DeterminedToUpgrade Sep 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 23595773)
I forgot to add he made the comment "if you leave and he gets drunk then it's your fault and you will loose your membership" I have no idea where the hell that one came from..just downright nasty. I get there are rules and the more I think about it if he would have approached it in a different way it would have been better. Oh and considering there were about a dozen people in the club it's certainly not for lack of space.

I don't disagree with the rule that a guest who is not otherwise entitled to use of the lounge should leave when the passenger he/she accompanied leaves, but this is a ridiculous comment and I'm surprised by the rude way the agent broached this subject with you.

mre5765 Sep 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by blug (Post 23595790)
If you didn't say anything rude first, then yes, that's a bit nasty. And IMO that should be the complaint in your original post, not the agent enforcing the rule. :)

Do you think it is normal for a service provider to commence a transaction that the customer has paid for with a threat?

"Flyer Friendly" indeed.

I'm happy to let my membership lapse.