Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 10, 22, 11:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 747FC
Wiki Link
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, well check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • Youre connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Youre traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 24, 14, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
No. As long as your bags are tagged to the final destination, only you the pax need to reclear security.
Old Oct 24, 14, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt explorist
Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
yes, yes.....but will i have to deal with or re-checkin my bags?
You have to find that out yourself at CCU.

I don't understand what is that big of a deal for you even if you can't check thru to ORD, personally even I can check thru, I would still ask to be short checked to HKG only if I have that long of a layover, as the longer your checked bags stored in the airport, the higher the risk items inside your bags would be stolen.

There is no transit hotel airside in HKG, no airlines operated lounge open 24 hours, in a matter of fact, the airport itself doesn't run 24 hours, it does have a pay lounge open 24 hours, but it is not cheap.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 24, 14 at 12:54 pm
Old Oct 24, 14, 10:20 pm

just heard back from thai airways via email...they said that because it was a continuous one ticketed journey and that my int'l layover in hong kong was less than 24 hours, no need to deal with bags! sahweeeeet!
Old Oct 25, 14, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
i have a 17 hr overnight layover in hongkong on a united one way award economy ticket. the ticket is from kolkotta to chicago.
will i need to recheck my luggage in hong kong?
it is one continuous ticket, i.e not pieced together one ways...
thx
cb
It does not matter if it is one ticket or multiple tickets put together.
If you can convince the check agent at your first departure airport to check your bag/s through to their final destination, that is all that matters.
We have done this many times BOM-SIN-USA or vice versa.
Our layover at SIN used to < 24 hours about 23 hours on the outbound and < 18 hours on the return.

You have a 17 hr overnight layover in HKG/ hongkong on a united one way award economy ticket. the ticket is from CCU/kolkotta to ORD/ chicago.
Yes, you can request the check in agent at CCU to check your bags through to ORD. The layover at HKG is 17 hours so it is as per the rule of the airlines.

HKG is a safe airport, so having bag/s checked through to ORD it will go into a special holding area that is policed and controlled.

So, you will not need to claim your baggage at HKG and then have to recheck it at HKG to ORD.

Also remember the 2 piece checked bag, with each bag weighing < 50 lbs or 23 kgs rule for travel from India to the USA.
If you travel only to HKG you will get free check in baggage of upto 20 kgs only.

Regarding Hotel at HKG you will have to exit the airport and can stay at a cheap/ inexpensive hotel in the tsim sha tsui ((sp?) area. Buy a return ticket from HKG airport to tsim sha tsui (sp?). I can recommend the Salisbury Road YMCA for a stay at Hong Kong. Reasonably priced, superb breakfast, and safe!

Last edited by dd1612; Oct 25, 14 at 7:59 pm
Old Nov 24, 14, 9:11 pm

Overnight layover in HNL

I have an overnight layover (20 hours) in HNL. Will my bag be checked through to my final destination?
Old Nov 24, 14, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presume you meant connection rather than stopover (no such thing as a layover). Generally speaking, UA will check your bags to your final destination. The exception is where your connection is overnight as here.

If you want your bags checked through, you can certainly ask at check-in and the agent may acommodate you. But, there is no way to predict this.

I also would discourage the practice unless you know that the bag facility is actually staffed 24/7.
Old Nov 24, 14, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
... (no such thing as a layover) ...
My computer's New Oxford American Dictionary disagrees:

layover |ˈlāˌōvər|
noun N. Amer.
a period of rest or waiting before a further stage in a journey.
Old Nov 24, 14, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, HA Gold
Overnight layover

Originally Posted by Palermo123 View Post
I have an overnight layover (20 hours) in HNL. Will my bag be checked through to my final destination?
Where are you flying from? If you are arriving in HNL from an international destination (including Guam) you have to claim your bags for customs. If you flight is originating from the mainland 48 or Alaska then no problem with your bags going to your final destination
Old Dec 8, 14, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
Help with baggage question

Hi brilliant minds of FT.

On December 27th I am flying:
CPH-FRA (LH)
FRA-IAD (LH)
IAD-SFO (UA) - arrival 11:44pm if on time
On December 28th I am flying seperate PNR:
SFO-TPE (UA) - departure 12:10pm

Will it be possible if (in Copenhagen) I can convince them, to check my bags all the way to TPE?

Thanks for the help
Old Dec 8, 14, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hjensen79 View Post
On December 27th I am flying:
CPH-FRA (LH)
FRA-IAD (LH)
IAD-SFO (UA) - arrival 11:44pm if on time
On December 28th I am flying seperate PNR:
SFO-TPE (UA) - departure 12:10pm

Will it be possible if (in Copenhagen) I can convince them, to check my bags all the way to TPE?
You are going to have to pick up your bags at IAD to clear immigration and customs regardless of the tag they place on them at CPH.

As for SFO, it is UA's policy not to check bags for an overnight stay:
Customers making connections which involve an overnight stay must claim baggage at the intermediate point and re-check baggage for the connecting flight on the following day.
Old Dec 8, 14, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You are going to have to pick up your bags at IAD to clear immigration and customs regardless of the tag they place on them at CPH.

As for SFO, it is UA's policy not to check bags for an overnight stay:
Customers making connections which involve an overnight stay must claim baggage at the intermediate point and re-check baggage for the connecting flight on the following day.
*sigh* I was hoping the overnight policy would not be an issue... but I guess I just have to deal with it... it will be a killer trip....
Old Dec 8, 14, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA/US ExPlat & 1.05MM, AF C2K, UA dirt
I have the following itinerary coming up:

LAX-SFO (UA)
SFO-HKG (UA)
HKG-CEB (CX)

If I understand it correctly, because we get in around 7PM, and the HKG-CEB leaves around 10am (the next day), the bags can be checked LAX-CEB?
Old Dec 8, 14, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hjensen79 View Post
*sigh* I was hoping the overnight policy would not be an issue... but I guess I just have to deal with it... it will be a killer trip....
*If* you can get LH in CPH to tag through to TPE (big if) and they're not paying attention at IAD when you re-check the bags you still *might* get away with it.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 8, 14 at 8:47 pm
Old Dec 26, 14, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
over 8 hrs connection cannot check bags thru

I apologise if there is a thread I searched and could not find it
checked in in SYD for a SYD LAX LAS F with a 16 hr connection as no award seats available on the other fits .
SYD would not check the luggage thru even though I know I have to collect and re submit and I am going to try to get on earlier flight
every other airline I have asked to check thru even with overnights in HK, BKK,LHR,DXB,AUH have always checked it thru.

whats the story?
has anyone else had this problem I did I get a dill.?
Old Dec 26, 14, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aussielori View Post
I apologise if there is a thread I searched and could not find it
checked in in SYD for a SYD LAX LAS F with a 16 hr connection as no award seats available on the other fits .
SYD would not check the luggage thru even though I know I have to collect and re submit and I am going to try to get on earlier flight
every other airline I have asked to check thru even with overnights in HK, BKK,LHR,DXB,AUH have always checked it thru.

whats the story? ...
UA "policy" states

Search this Thread