Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Archive thread: Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onfinalapproach
...As I understand it the layover time would not trigger me needing to retrieve my checked luggage in Delhi but the fact that the layover is overnight will trigger it. Therefore in this situation my bags will be offloaded in Delhi,
That would be standard
Originally Posted by onfinalapproach
..I will have to clear immigration, retrieve my bags and re-check them when check in opens 4 hours before the flight. Is this correct? Thanks
The time you can check in would be up to AI
Old Nov 10, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Do you have the visa-passport-etc to enter India?
Or need - not need that.
Not yet but will go ahead and apply for an e-visa as it seems like having to retrieve my bags is inevitable. Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PSA: Sometimes UA is too helpful.

I had an award reservation recently DTW-IAD-LHR-XXX; I was checking luggage. With 15 hours at LHR, I knew my bags would be checked there, and indeed at DTW that’s exactly what happened. When I arrived at IAD, I realized that the 10 PM IAD-LHR flight had plenty of IN space and decided to ask at the Polaris lounge if I could be put onto it instead of the 6 PM I was booked on — I had booked a hotel near LHR, but my experiences with a 6:30 AM check-in are hit-or-miss.

Anyway, the agent was great and was able to move me and my bags. What didn’t occur to me is that because my LHR layover was now only about 11 hours, the baggage would be re-routed to my final destination. I showed up at LHR and my bags were nowhere to be found; it took about an hour before we came to the realization that even though my bag tag said LHR, they’d been rerouted.

So, just a helpful word for anybody who finds themselves in the same situation — if you decrease a layover time en route, your bags may be rerouted.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, RNE and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

So, just a helpful word for anybody who finds themselves in the same situation — if you decrease a layover time en route, your bags may be rerouted.
Was the united app bag tracker useful?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Was the united app bag tracker useful?
Oddly, yes, if I had known what I was looking at. It indicated that they’d been offloaded from the LHR flight, and then it listed the OAL flight to XXX as next. It’s just, because I didn’t expect them to be transferred, I assumed it was a mistake. My mistake.
SPN Lifer and paperwastage like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Will Luggage arrive - 12 hour ORD transit

Should I be concerned of checked luggage being "forgotten" to be placed on a connecting flight departing 12 hours later out of Chicago?
YOW-ORD on United lands at 8:30am
ORD-AUH on Etihad departs at 8:40pm

Terminal change, different carriers, and long transit make me concerned that my luggage isnt going to make it
thoughts?.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bichoo
Should I be concerned of checked luggage being "forgotten" to be placed on a connecting flight departing 12 hours later out of Chicago?
YOW-ORD on United lands at 8:30am
ORD-AUH on Etihad departs at 8:40pm
Your first concern should be if UA will even allow you to check-thru as you exceed the max 12 hour policy.

If you does allow check-thru, believe this will be transferred to ET on arrival and not sitting in UA's area.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your first concern should be if UA will even allow you to check-thru as you exceed the max 12 hour policy.

If you does allow check-thru, believe this will be transferred to ET on arrival and not sitting in UA's area.
Agree on both counts. However, if UA does allow them to be checked through, when you arrive at the ET counter and/or gate in T5 to continue your journey, you should show them your UA bag tags and ask them to confirm that they see those tags in their system.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Flying from MLE-FRA-ORD on LH business booked using Lifemiles. Have a 6 hour layover in ORD and then booked a ORD-LAS leg (UA coach) on a separate ticket using Turkish miles.

Will I be able to through check 2 bags all the way to LAS without a fee at MLE? If not, can I still check for free at ORD (lets assume no status or credit card)? How about 70 lbs instead of the regular 50 lbs?

If I cant check in for fee, I dont want to pay too much for 70 lb bags, so I guess I should keep it to 50 lbs lol

Last edited by sowhatwegetdrunk; Dec 1, 2022 at 4:06 am
Old Dec 1, 2022, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Will I be able to through check 2 bags all the way to LAS without a fee at MLE?
That’s up to LH.

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
If not, can I still check for free at ORD (lets assume no status or credit card)? How about 70 lbs instead of the regular 50 lbs?
You can ask, but expect “no” for both.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 4:41 am

Am I correct in assuming UA will check my bag through to BKK for an upcoming ORD-FRA-BKK trip? First segment on UA, second segment on TG. Arrive FRA 09:35 and depart 20:55 so just under 12 hours. This is on same UA ticket. I am *A Gold.

If I went ahead and changed the first segment to LH (it’s a 747-8 with First :-)) departing two hours earlier - now layover would be 14 hours - think Lufty would only check to FRA, and then I’d recheck with TG there?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
.... If I went ahead and changed the first segment to LH (it’s a 747-8 with First :-)) departing two hours earlier - now layover would be 14 hours - think Lufty would only check to FRA, and then I’d recheck with TG there?
A question for LH /LH forum, long connection rules vary.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A question for LH /LH forum, long connection rules vary.
Thanks. Just posted there. I actually ended up booking MLE-FRA on LH and FRA-ORD on UA using lifemiles (MLE-FRA-ORD single ticket). Then ORD-LAS on UA using turkish miles. Will that make a difference to get free bag? Even if I am not able to through check-in, just wondering if United will check the bags for free in ORD, since they will be able to see the previous reservation as well (since FRA-ORD is now on UA). Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:35 pm

I have a DBV - FRA - ORD itinerary, booked on Lufthansa, FRA - ORD is UA metal. Layover is just shy of 12 hours, but overnight (8 PM - 8AM). Would LH rules apply or UA? And is overnight strictly enforced? I'd prefer to check all the way through.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kimmitzi
I have a DBV - FRA - ORD itinerary, booked on Lufthansa, FRA - ORD is UA metal. Layover is just shy of 12 hours, but overnight (8 PM - 8AM). Would LH rules apply or UA? And is overnight strictly enforced? I'd prefer to check all the way through.
SInce you are checking bages with LH, LH will determine this, not UA. Best to check in the LH forum
Kimmitzi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.