Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Archive thread: Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
With 14-hour layover, he can go through security 40-50 times
Every single checkpoint
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gobaers
... If it's one PNR the bags should interline all the way to your final destination.
For UA policy (max 12 hours or not overnight), 1 PNR or separate makes no difference. UA experiences is inconsistent (what's new) and may be more flexible for UA elites. But best to assume negative and be please if UA will.

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
It should be possible to place your checked bag(s) in a secure left luggage area for a small fee regardless .....
That varies with airports, such as ORD, among others, has no on-airport options. Fortunately SFO, does.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and gobaers like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by JC1694
* And also, will it be possible to access the United Polaris Lounge 14 hours prior to departure time?
Are you sure you are even eligible to access the Polaris Lounge?
Here's a thread with a Wiki for that (just in case):
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
It should be possible to place your checked bag(s) in a secure left luggage area for a small fee regardless if you want to leave the airport, go to a day room at a hotel nearby or use the lounge. All of those options will require you to go through security again.
Slightly OT, but are there any major US airports that still have luggage storage?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For UA policy (max 12 hours or not overnight), 1 PNR or separate makes no difference. UA experiences is inconsistent (what's new) and may be more flexible for UA elites. But best to assume negative and be please if UA will.
IME, there are some exceptions to 12 hour rule, though pretty sure not domestically. For example, had ~14 hours between a UA arrival and SQ departure in SIN recently (separate tickets), and was able to have the bags checked through. It took a while, though the time between flights wasn't the issue.

also, even in some overnight instances bags will [by default] be checked through. Earlier this year, we had a ~10pm arrival into EWR and ~7:00am departure. Bags were tagged by default (self-printing kiosk at SFO) for final destination, though an agent, now-questions-asked and had no problems short-tagging to EWR on request since we needed them for overnight - she was even training a new agent on how to do this and explained why she was able to do it for us (overnight connection) and it want to be done in simple connecting situations.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs
Slightly OT, but are there any major US airports that still have luggage storage?
a few do, privately operated, others do not.

SFO is one that with a shortterm bag storage option
Airport Travel Services – At the San Francisco Airport – Comprehensive services for travelers at the San Francisco Airport. (airporttravelagency.org)

Originally Posted by emcampbe
IME, there are some exceptions to 12 hour rule, though pretty sure not domestically. .....
Yes, there are exceptions of up to 24 hours at international , see wiki of Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated) - FlyerTalk Forums but not aware of any domestic exceptions.
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2023 at 4:31 pm Reason: exceptions
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
FWIW my experience with long connection times was referring only to international. I thought that the OP's issue and was on a international connection.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'd do same-day change (available to do night before) to later flight PHX-SFO if you can.
OP is coming from PHX (aka, "the oven"). Stick with the long layover, check your bags with the travel agency at SFO, and enjoy a nice cool day day by the bay

(I'll second the Marufuku recommendation btw - have only been to Oakland location, but it is by far our favorite ramen.)
SPN Lifer and gobaers like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:39 am

UA Policy on Thru Checking Bags on Long Connection

Flying LGA(UA)-IAD(NH)-HND(NH)-TSA on United 016 Ticket Stock. 2.5 hour layover in Dulles and 17 hour layover in HND. Will I have to recheck my bags overnight in Haneda or will UA help check bags thru? I know there is a 12 hour policy but not sure about whether the policy applies to UA checking to NH operated flights. Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ethanaviation
... I know there is a 12 hour policy but not sure about whether the policy applies to UA checking to NH operated flights. !
HND is an exception (see wiki). Up to 24 hours is allowed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
HND is an exception (see wiki). Up to 24 hours is allowed.
Thank you so much WineCountryUA ! I was able to find the following on the Wiki:
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.
Is there anywhere where I can find this policy on the UA website? If the LGA agent (for LGA-IAD-HND-TSA) doesn't know about the HND exception, am I out of luck? What can I do in that case?

My primary concern is UA allows me (as Premier Silver) check 70 pound bags, but if I have to recheck at HND for a 17 hour connection (on a UA ticket stock, UA-NH-NH), I may have to pay hundreds of dollars in excess weight fees at HND. Thank you everyone!
Old Aug 26, 2023, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ethanaviation
.... Is there anywhere where I can find this policy on the UA website? If the LGA agent (for LGA-IAD-HND-TSA) doesn't know about the HND exception, am I out of luck? What can I do in that case? ...
The check-in computer should do this without agent intervention
ethanaviation likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 11:34 am

Issued resolved - thanks everyone for helping out!

Last edited by ethanaviation; Oct 26, 2023 at 10:24 pm Reason: Issued resolved - thanks everyone for helping out!
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: United (2MM, Former 1K), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Titanium))
Checked Baggage and 18-hour (Overnight) Layover

I am considering flying Denver to St Kitts next April. There are no easy connections, and I'd like to avoid an overnight red eye flight if possible. The itinerary united.com suggests is UA1339 (arrives SJU at 5:30pm on Day 1, and UA3128 that leaves for SKB the next day at 12:10PM. I don't mind overnight in SJU if I can retrieve my bag there. Will UA let me short check my bag to SJU, retrieve it, and recheck it the next day? If so, anything special I need to know or watch out for? Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colo1K
I am considering flying Denver to St Kitts next April. There are no easy connections, and I'd like to avoid an overnight red eye flight if possible. The itinerary united.com suggests is UA1339 (arrives SJU at 5:30pm on Day 1, and UA3128 that leaves for SKB the next day at 12:10PM. I don't mind overnight in SJU if I can retrieve my bag there. Will UA let me short check my bag to SJU, retrieve it, and recheck it the next day? If so, anything special I need to know or watch out for? Thanks.
They'll insist on it, actually. For luggage purposes, the computer will treat this as two separate flights. Your bags will automatically be checked to SJU. Note that you will not receive your 1K luggage benefit on the SJU-SKB flight, as it is not operated by UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.