Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Archive thread: Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaitraveller
When flying back and forth to Europe, I often like to use the layover as an opportunity to see a new city, especially fancy ones like Zurich where I could not afford more than one night.
But, most travelers do NOT want those flights, so UAL.com for example rarely shows them. But if you can find a nice UA agent they can find, but often hard for them.
Is there a good thorough engine that would show more flight options and connections including 'bad ones' with an overnight connection.
Of course yes, these have to be under 24 hours.... so land Frankfurt at 9 am on a Monday and connect to a flight to Athens at 8.50 am on the next day Tuesday.
But hard to find these. I know they exist though! ( :
PS: I like to specifically book on UAL.com so great if an engine that can somehow lead to that outcome....
If you already know which city you'd like to visit, you can find these easily using multi-city search; just search for origin-gateway on Day 1 and gateway-destination on day 2.
If you're looking for the best price first, try ITA Matrix at matrix.itasoftware.com , then go to United.com to book. You can use the Extension code minconnect to show only long connections, or you can just sort by longest connection time.
SPN Lifer, surram and United747 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you already know which city you'd like to visit, you can find these easily using multi-city search; just search for origin-gateway on Day 1 and gateway-destination on day 2.
If you're looking for the best price first, try ITA Matrix at matrix.itasoftware.com , then go to United.com to book. You can use the Extension code minconnect to show only long connections, or you can just sort by longest connection time.
Or, https://www.google.com/travel/flights , using the connecting city tab.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
So, I was just burned by this.

I hardly ever check a bag (and I will add this to the reasons why).

CVG-ORD-TPE-BKK today, all on one ticket (016) and all in business class. Connection in ORD is just over 12 hours, as EVA takes off just after midnight.

Counter agent couldn't check my bag through, even calling the help desk to figure it out, even for a 1k. Seems incredibly stupid to me, but looking at the wiki I guess this is United policy. So much for "We have your back" as a 1K. (which they are now proclaiming in their pre-departure email crap).

So just blew some money on a day-rate hotel instead of being stranded at check in counter waiting for EVA to open.
Lesson learned.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21

CVG-ORD-TPE-BKK today, all on one ticket (016) and all in business class. Connection in ORD is just over 12 hours, as EVA takes off just after midnight.

Counter agent couldn't check my bag through, even calling the help desk to figure it out, even for a 1k. Seems incredibly stupid to me, but looking at the wiki I guess this is United policy. So much for "We have your back" as a 1K. (which they are now proclaiming in their pre-departure email crap).

So just blew some money on a day-rate hotel instead of being stranded at check in counter waiting for EVA to open.
Lesson learned.
You didn't try to recheck your bag at the 1K line at ORD? I did that at EWR when in a similar situation, but all of my flights were on UA. They happily accepted the bag, but maybe I was just lucky.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Lesson learned.
At CVG, if the system was not allowing you to check the bags, could you have tried to do a SDC to a later flight UA 3499 with sked arrival into ORD at 1:15 pm which is within the 12-hour window of BR55 to TPE. Granted you wouldn’t have gotten a J seat, at short notice on the short flight between CVG-ORD but it’s worth the cost of finding a day hotel.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by 747FC
You didn't try to recheck your bag at the 1K line at ORD? I did that at EWR when in a similar situation, but all of my flights were on UA. They happily accepted the bag, but maybe I was just lucky.
so you short-checked your bags to ORD, retrieved them from the belt and lugged them to 1K desk? In hindsight not a bad thought if it is only on UA. But this will not work on other * A carriers as the counters may not be open 11-12 hours before sked departure time.

And BR operates only one flight a day out of ORD (and also in my home airport of IAH)
Old Jul 4, 2023, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by surram
At CVG, if the system was not allowing you to check the bags, could you have tried to do a SDC to a later flight UA 3499 with sked arrival into ORD at 1:15 pm which is within the 12-hour window of BR55 to TPE. Granted you wouldn’t have gotten a J seat, at short notice on the short flight between CVG-ORD but it’s worth the cost of finding a day hotel.
given OAL on the ticket, would have to go to check in desk to try and accomplish, as app will not allow SDC with a partner segment.

I’m surprised that the agent at CVG couldn’t force the bag to be checked through on a daytime layover. I used to be CVG-based, and despite it being a contracted station (at least for the past 10 or so years), I’ve found many of the agents there (certainly not all, but many) being able to handle reasonable requests over the years.

interestingly enough, I had agents at SFO do the opposite for me a few months ago on an overnight layover at EWR. Was going SFO-EWR-YYZ - left on afternoon flight arriving at like 10pm, then continuing onto YYZ on an 8am flight. I figured since it was overnight, default was to check the bags only to EWR. But it printed a through tag - I suspect because of the 12 hour cutoff (I was under the mistaken impression any overnight layover checks to intermediate station). I took from the self-print bag kiosk to an agent, who happily re-printed the tag just to EWR (and had a trainee there, so explained of her how to do it, and as well, why she could (overnight layover, and that it shouldn’t be done for regular connections).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
given OAL on the ticket, would have to go to check in desk to try and accomplish, as app will not allow SDC with a partner segment.
I understand...but the pax was already at the check-in gate working with the fumbling CVG agent; I would have expected the agent to come up with this alternative, as the next flight from CVG-ORD was just a little over an hour later and will fit within the 12 hour window. The agents should think "outside the box" if they cannot figure out how to work the computer.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I’m surprised that the agent at CVG couldn’t force the bag to be checked through on a daytime layover.
Likely part of the problem as BR departs 'the next day'.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I tend to think it's just agents(including the "Help" Desk) being less than fully competent. I've never had any issues connecting with separate tickets to EVA at IAH as long as the connection wasn't longer than the 12 hour window. The RNO agents often needed to get an override of some sort from the Help Desk because of the BR flight left just after midnight but the last couple of times the airport supervisor could do it.
All of my experiences were with the connection going through IAH so it also might be something to do with ORD baggage systems. Never had any issues connecting through SFO or LAX as well.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I made initial inquiries of someone at the baggage services area at ORD, but they had no inclination to help, and were quite surly about it. Felt like I was back at EWR.

I had no expectation of getting it accomplished once the agent at CVG refused. And any other action once at ORD would likely increase the chance my bag disappears all together.

You being on all UA flights was likely a key differentiator.

Originally Posted by surram
Honestly didn't think about it, but doubt I would have tried it anyway. I am risk averse this trip (as indicated by very long connection to ensure I made the EVA flight) and would not want obviously unhelpful (untrained?) agents messing with my ticket.

I’m surprised that the agent at CVG couldn’t force the bag to be checked through on a daytime layover. I used to be CVG-based, and despite it being a contracted station (at least for the past 10 or so years), I’ve found many of the agents there (certainly not all, but many) being able to handle reasonable requests over the years.
Have to assume they are still contracted staff. Though wearing a United lanyard, he had a SkyTeam pin on it as well.

Originally Posted by ttuna3
I tend to think it's just agents(including the "Help" Desk) being less than fully competent. I've never had any issues connecting with separate tickets to EVA at IAH as long as the connection wasn't longer than the 12 hour window. The RNO agents often needed to get an override of some sort from the Help Desk because of the BR flight left just after midnight but the last couple of times the airport supervisor could do it.
All of my experiences were with the connection going through IAH so it also might be something to do with ORD baggage systems. Never had any issues connecting through SFO or LAX as well.
IMO, it was a combination of short staff, contracted counter agents and an "easy out" to say that it was not possible.
I laughed-out-loud when checking in with EVA. She pulls up my record, asks "you came in on an earlier flight today. Why didn't you check the bag through?"
Preach, Sister!

She was friendly, competent, and effective. Everything that United was not for this long-time 1K. Difference was startling.

Another milepost on the "there are better options out there" realization.
SPN Lifer and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:31 pm

I have a single ticket for YYZ (QK/AC) > EWR (United) > HND, booked via Aeroplan Economy standard reward.
I have an overnight layover at EWR. Just under 14.5 hours connection time, Oct 2023. YYZ has preclearance facilities, so I'd land as a domestic passenger.

Trying to understand if my bags are checked all the way to HND, with no need to retrieve them at EWR and recheck.
Based on this thread, the answer is "you have to recheck". However, I can't seem to find the verbiage in the OP on United's site anymore... does this still apply? Is there a link to the (updated) baggage rules?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by sports1
I have a single ticket for YYZ (QK/AC) > EWR (United) > HND, booked via Aeroplan Economy standard reward.
I have an overnight layover at EWR. Just under 14.5 hours connection time, Oct 2023. YYZ has preclearance facilities, so I'd land as a domestic passenger.

Trying to understand if my bags are checked all the way to HND, with no need to retrieve them at EWR and recheck.
Based on this thread, the answer is "you have to recheck". However, I can't seem to find the verbiage in the OP on United's site anymore... does this still apply? Is there a link to the (updated) baggage rules?
Unless you can convince the checkin agent to spend the time and energy to give you an exception, the bags will not be checked through. The last time I did not have success with this part of the transaction, I was able to ask the EWR Global Services team to check in my bag some 13 hour early so I could spend the time in EWR without worrying about the bags.

Last time I looked, pre-covid, there was a baggage storage for fee facitlity in EWR. Not sure what their hours were.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:08 pm

Unless you can convince the checkin agent to spend the time and energy to give you an exception, the bags will not be checked through. The last time I did not have success with this part of the transaction, I was able to ask the EWR Global Services team to check in my bag some 13 hour early so I could spend the time in EWR without worrying about the bags.

Last time I looked, pre-covid, there was a baggage storage for fee facitlity in EWR. Not sure what their hours were.
Apologies, I'm a bit daft but... if I were to try to convince the UA checkin agent, would that be in EWR? Meaning I'd have to check for my bag at the carousel (which may or may not be there...), grab it, exit security, go from Terminal A to C, head to the checkin counters again?

I assume the policy in OP is still valid, I just can't seem to find any mention of this anymore on United's site... so I'm wondering if it changed again (somewhat recently?)

Also see in OP this comment (from March 2023):
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
So I'm somewhat (though maybe misplaced) hopeful that my bags will be checked through to HND.

Last edited by sports1; Jul 20, 2023 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 20, 2023, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by sports1
Apologies, I'm a bit daft but... if I were to try to convince the UA checkin agent, would that be in EWR? Meaning I'd have to check for my bag at the carousel (which may or may not be there...), grab it, exit security, go from Terminal A to C, head to the checkin counters again?

I assume the policy in OP is still valid, I just can't seem to find any mention of this anymore on United's site... so I'm wondering if it changed again (somewhat recently?)

Also see in OP this comment (from March 2023):
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
So I'm somewhat (though maybe misplaced) hopeful that my bags will be checked through to HND.
You have two chances for your bags to be dealt with to help you.

1. When you checkin in Canada, you can ask the agent to check through to HND. See the wiki for what you would ask.

2. When you get you bags in EWR, you can go straight to a checkin area and see if someone will accept your bags early.

Good luck. Please report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.