Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is not the correct thread as I can't find anything related to it. I have an United award flight with a couple of long layovers (< 24 hours). Would I be able to collect my bags at each layover?

For example:

DUB - VIE - PRG, Would I be able to collect my baggage at VIE? I'm staying overnight and will need my stuff.

Or is there some kind of rules where if it's greater than X hours, we collect the bags?

Thanks all
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: UA Silver
Different airlines may have different rules. It will be helpful if you list your exact flights. Generally, if the layover is > 12 hours, there should be no problem getting your bags. Otherwise YMMV.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA will not check bags through with an overnight, whether it is a connection or a stopover. Your bags will be delivered to you at VIE, whether you want them or not.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
you can always ask for a bag to be shortchecked, on an overnight, it will not be an issue
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If you go Dublin-Vienna, you will have to get your bags regardless since you're entering Schengen and will need to go through Immigration and Customs on arrival. At that point I guess you can just keep your bags, then when you return to the airport to continue on to Prague you can recheck them.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by catocony
If you go Dublin-Vienna, you will have to get your bags regardless since you're entering Schengen and will need to go through Immigration and Customs on arrival. At that point I guess you can just keep your bags, then when you return to the airport to continue on to Prague you can recheck them.
Not really. You only collect bags and clear customs when arriving at the final Schengen destination, not at the first point of entry. It is separate from immigration unlike in the USA.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I have gone from for example US - FRA - DUS and the luggage was checked through. The immigration was in FRA.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly you have never actually done this personally, and are basing this on an example of arrival into the US. Why mislead the poster like this?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Clearly you have never actually done this personally, and are basing this on an example of arrival into the US. Why mislead the poster like this?
Moreover, none of the border control or anecdotal discussions are remotely helpful to OP. Without knowing the delivering carrier, we do not know that carrier's policy regarding through-checking bags with lengthy connections/stopovers.

As an example, UA does not through check bags with overnight connections. Thus, in this situation, OP's bags would be checked to VIE even though the ordinary practice on a routine connection would be for the bag to be delivered to OP at PRG.

Details will get OP the accurate information he wants.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Moreover, none of the border control or anecdotal discussions are remotely helpful to OP. Without knowing the delivering carrier, we do not know that carrier's policy regarding through-checking bags with lengthy connections/stopovers.

As an example, UA does not through check bags with overnight connections. Thus, in this situation, OP's bags would be checked to VIE even though the ordinary practice on a routine connection would be for the bag to be delivered to OP at PRG.

Details will get OP the accurate information he wants.

Good point. United award - meaning its EI+OS. Since the two dont interline - the OP will have to pick up bag regardless
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thank you all for the reply. I'm still a newbie at this so am not familiar with the airlines abbreviation. The two carriers are indeed Aer Lingus and Austrian (Tyrolian) air. I'm glad that I can pick up my luggage.

During my research, I've found that the connection to Prague are somewhat difficult. I was trying to minimize connection as well as arriving at a good time. Vienna seems like the best for that. Zurich was another possible connection point, but that would mean I backtracked multiple times!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidWeb
Thank you all for the reply. I'm still a newbie at this so am not familiar with the airlines abbreviation. The two carriers are indeed Aer Lingus and Austrian (Tyrolian) air. I'm glad that I can pick up my luggage.

During my research, I've found that the connection to Prague are somewhat difficult. I was trying to minimize connection as well as arriving at a good time. Vienna seems like the best for that. Zurich was another possible connection point, but that would mean I backtracked multiple times!
I am actually shocked you redeemed an award ticket (15000 miles + tax) on DUB-PRG, and on low cost Aer Lingus to boot, when nonstop flights on DUB-PRG go for $50-$150 cash
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: aa, ua 1k
Check Bags Through?

AAA-EWR arrive at 17:30
EWR-PEK depart at 11:55 next day.

Can I check my bags through to PEK from domestic AAA?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Most likely not, I've been told maximum for overnight check-in is 13 hours connection time.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Most likely not, I've been told maximum for overnight check-in is 13 hours connection time.
I'm not sure what the real answer is, but I'll bet you can find people who have been told anything from 2 hours to 48 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.