Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA BF seat research

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Without any inside or special knowledge, I think a variant of the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond makes a lot of sense for UA. B/E is the seat supplier on all new aircraft and Boeing retrofits (Recaro seats on Airbii) as well as the manufacturer of the current-generation IPTE and flat ex-CO BF seats.

The Super Diamond maintains some aesthetic similarity to the existing seats but delivers all-aisle access in a 1-2-1 configuration, more personal stowage than the IPTE J seats and significantly more foot space than the ex-CO BF seat. It's also a fairly dense configuration, so we wouldn't lose out on many premium seats.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I wore a 13 when I was 13
I wore 11 when 11, or 12 when 12 (not sure which). Somebody told me to "act my age, not my shoe size" to which I was able to retort "my age IS my shoe size".

Good times.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
This is an interesting thread..
I head the good arguments about more seats = better chance of upgrades and upgrades is the only way I enjoy the BF cabin..

I flew PMUA 777 BF LAX-SYD-MEL and UA 787-8 MEL-LAX and then a PMCO 757-200 with the BF seats LAX-ORD

I'll be honest and say, on face value I prefer the 777 BF even though I was in the middle of a row of 4..

The way your feet go so far under the screen on the 787 seats just made the whole set up a bit more cramped.. But as they said, this is on face value.. it IS a lay flat seat!

Also I like the massage feature on the PMUA and the controls are more intuitive..
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

As long as it's not like the old boxy, straight-upright CO seats, that's cool by me :-:
Of course its old and boxy. That's what defines the park bench CO F seats. In fact, it pretty much sums up the CO strategy: old, boxy, uninspiring, and boring.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Given the comments in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the seat similar to the one QR is using in its 787s. Just google Qatar 787. Pure speculation but that would make sense.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boat9781
Given the comments in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the seat similar to the one QR is using in its 787s. Just google Qatar 787. Pure speculation but that would make sense.
I'd say that's just about our best case scenario if it came true ^

Of course it will lack any stylistic touches, but functionally it will be very good
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
United Business. That's what it will be, so a little truth in advertising wouldn't hurt.

If they aren't going to be honest, call it Premier Class. Just don't call it First class, given that they have no interest in offering g a true first class product.
^ You nailed it. "United First", "United Business" etc were simple but to the point. I wouldn't mind if they called it Connoisseur Class, but "BusinessFirst" is a ridiculous name, and it's even more absurd since there is an actual First class on board many of the planes, unlike what you had at CO.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by united4
^ You nailed it. "United First", "United Business" etc were simple but to the point. I wouldn't mind if they called it Connoisseur Class, but "BusinessFirst" is a ridiculous name, and it's even more absurd since there is an actual First class on board many of the planes, unlike what you had at CO.
Still going to be called BusinessFirst AFAIK.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by boat9781
That looks so much like the GF seat.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Of course it will, since GF is slowly being phased out and IMO we won't see it in any new deliveries going forward
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Work hard, fly right! ^
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
It looks like AA is going rear facing!!! I love it! Please UA keep the rear facing seats!!!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Lie flat is important but it is not the only critical component. Earlier this year I flew Brussels Air - the seat was lie flat but horrible for relaxing semi-reclined for IFE. Similarly the DL lie-flat seats were not as comfortable as UA when semi-reclined.

Clearly better aisle access would be a key improvement for the next gen. But I would also hope to see more storage space (a la current F seats). And then there's the soft product, which should cost far less to fix but apparently is never on the radar...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Lie flat is important but it is not the only critical component. Earlier this year I flew Brussels Air - the seat was lie flat but horrible for relaxing semi-reclined for IFE. Similarly the DL lie-flat seats were not as comfortable as UA when semi-reclined.

Clearly better aisle access would be a key improvement for the next gen. But I would also hope to see more storage space (a la current F seats). And then there's the soft product, which should cost far less to fix but apparently is never on the radar...
Hard product requires capital which means little to no impact on current earnings.
Soft product improvement increases current expenses - which reduces earnings - immediately.

I honestly believe it's that simple.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
Wow, I can't believe UA is even paying travel costs. I'd consider paying my own way for a chance to attend.

What a week, first after sending umpteen millions to their consulting agency for market research, UA came to the conclusion that humans not only eat, but it's a rather important part of daily life. And now they've come to the conclusion that premium passengers enjoy being as comfortable as possible when spending $$$ on air travel. Dare I ask what's next??
Lavatories... People use toilets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.