Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flight credit in irrops situation
  • For diverted and then continued to destination -- generally just the standard credit, no extra for the diversion. Some possibility if diversion is overnight and a special section is scheduled, then separate flight credit
  • For very indirect flight plan (such as to avoid weather) -- nope (especially in the case of fare based crediting)
  • For return to base -- it is as if the flight never happened.
  • Planned rerouting, With fare based credit, no change but should get the extra segments credit. If the rerouting reduces the segment credit, request ORC.

For lifetime miles, again generally just the originally booked credit
  • For return to base, never happen
  • For formal rerouting, should receive reroute credit, if less ORC
Print Wikipost

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP will get nothing for the ultimately cancelled flight and it is not worth trying to follow this line. Rather, I would ask for a customer service gesture in light of the inconvenience. I would skip the stuff about the Captain as it isn't relevant and just focus on the delay. As it's WX, it is down to some CS agent's discretion.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
... his and the airline's decision to take on only enough fuel to fly to the destination airport and turn around, no allowance for giving the clouds 15 minutes to clear out...
They did exactly what makes sense safety-wise, business-wise, legally, and operationally

Last edited by goalie; Sep 26, 2015 at 4:04 pm Reason: snark removed
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Forgot to mention that there was weather at ACV, for some reason, and that the alternate airport was SFO, and that he'd only taken on enough fuel to fly around the destination then head home.
Lighting more jet fuel on fire isn't going to improve the weather at ACV at night. And indeed, the weather there remained awful until about 9am.

What's a more sensible alternate airport that was at least closer, legal (weather minima, ARFF, etc), and had UA staff/contractors to meet the flight?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by mduell
Lighting more jet fuel on fire isn't going to improve the weather at ACV at night. And indeed, the weather there remained awful until about 9am.

What's a more sensible alternate airport that was at least closer, legal (weather minima, ARFF, etc), and had UA staff/contractors to meet the flight?

MFR is only about 100 miles from ACV. It has UA contractors all the way until midnight.

Though, incidentally I had the same thing happen to me from SFO-MFR last year. As a GS, I did get a room at SFO, but they did not honor my request for mileage credit.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Mileage credit for aborted flights?

We flew about 5 hours out of SYD tonight (headed for SFO), before we had to turn around due to a radar malfunction. So all in all that's about 10 hours of flying! I think I am due some mileage (PQM) credit for this... How have UA dealt with this in the past? Tried a search, but couldn't seem to find a clear answer. Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You won't get mileage credit for flying into the Pacific and back again, unfortunately. You will get mileage for the completed SYD-SFO flight. However, you will almost certainly get some compensation from UA for the aborted flight and there's a long thread on here as to how much people receive in different circumstances.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: 1k
UA 314 - Diversion / Miles?

Sorry, I am sure this has been answered somewhere but I can't find it so mods, please feel free to redirect. I'm currently on UA314 DEN-EWR -we went way north (into Canada) to avoid a storm system that we initially tried to fly through (not fun) and now we're diverting to Cleveland to refuel. In situations like this, can you get the extra flight segment and/or PQMs? Or no since it's weather?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea you'll generally get DEN-EWR and CLE-EWR if the offload and issue new BPs for the later flight. If it's just an onboard refuel you get DEN-EWR.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:29 pm

Yea you'll generally get DEN-EWR and CLE-EWR if the offload and issue new BPs for the later flight. If it's just an onboard refuel you get DEN-EWR.
Thanks - we are still en route but the word is that we'll just refuel and continue on. Assuming no offload and BPs issues, still worth a try with an email to 1kvoice? Or not a chance?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
EWR-DEN is 1605 miles.
EWR-CLE-DEN is 1606 miles.

You're going to write an email to ask for 1 mile?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
EWR-CLE-DEN is 1701 because of the 500-mile minimum.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
EWR-DEN is 1605 miles.

You're going to write an email to ask for 1 mile?
haha, okay, good point as I didn't actually look at the routing, I just looked at the map and the extra 1:15 we flew . . . we didn't actually go the most direct route . . .
Attached Images  
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mileage credit is never based upon miles flown, only point to point distances.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:45 pm

Mileage credit is never based upon miles flown, only point to point distances.
i was being a bit tongue-in-cheek but am definitely going to try for the segment and 500 miles. You never know!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Reminds me of a taxi to the 8R runway in HNL. The copilot announced "For those of you in our Mileage Plus program, you have now earned 2 miles."

Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.