Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flight credit in irrops situation
  • For diverted and then continued to destination -- generally just the standard credit, no extra for the diversion. Some possibility if diversion is overnight and a special section is scheduled, then separate flight credit
  • For very indirect flight plan (such as to avoid weather) -- nope (especially in the case of fare based crediting)
  • For return to base -- it is as if the flight never happened.
  • Planned rerouting, With fare based credit, no change but should get the extra segments credit. If the rerouting reduces the segment credit, request ORC.

For lifetime miles, again generally just the originally booked credit
  • For return to base, never happen
  • For formal rerouting, should receive reroute credit, if less ORC
Print Wikipost

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by wunderpit
I wouldn't request compensation since it was an airport issue. The question was more, does anyone ever receive segment/PQM credit for diversions?
No, not unless it's a new flight.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't request compensation since it was an airport issue. The question was more, does anyone ever receive segment/PQM credit for diversions?
You almost certainly will not get credit for the diversion; you'll get the original routing credit, though.

My most recent diversion went DEN-BWI-IAD. I got credit for DEN-IAD as expected, but not the (longer) DEN-BWI, nor the added BWI-IAD hop.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Original segment was supposed to be LAX>BOS. There was a fire near the fuel farm at BOS on Tuesday and no one could get fuel. After a 2 hour delay, they decided to fly to Manchester regional airport for fuel. We were on the ground there for about an hour re-fueling, then off to LAX, arriving 3 hours late, missing connection, etc.

Should fuel stops count as segments/PQM? There was no credit for it.
No as long as you got credited same as you would have had you flown BOS-LAX non-stop, its the same flight number with a tech stop, so not different than had you booked it as a direct flight. Just be happy your flight did not get cancelled like what happened to many other people
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
I had a mechanical delay which caused me to miss my connection flight; The system put me on the next flight; STILL the delay caused our plane to miss that connection!! So they tried to put me on a third flight (in the United Club) seeing that 3 hours had passed and no UA flights would get me, as a 1K the United club put me on a Delta flight.

Not looking for refund, but would like my PQM as i never use Delta.

Can this be done successfully?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by tasnam
I had a mechanical delay which caused me to miss my connection flight; The system put me on the next flight; STILL the delay caused our plane to miss that connection!! So they tried to put me on a third flight (in the United Club) seeing that 3 hours had passed and no UA flights would get me, as a 1K the United club put me on a Delta flight.

Not looking for refund, but would like my PQM as i never use Delta.

Can this be done successfully?
I would think that there would be no problem asking for ORC in this instance. I have received that in the past. I did not get a refund for my checked bag fee that Delta charged for my non-status with them though.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was on a DEN-NRT flight a few months ago that had an emergency landing in SEA.

I received full credit for DEN-NRT, which actually surprised me.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I was on the 787 that diverted to MSY last December. They brought in a new plane and I ended up getting credit for IAH0->MSY and MSY->EWR.

No calls required. It all posted normally.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I was on a DEN-NRT flight a few months ago that had an emergency landing in SEA.

I received full credit for DEN-NRT, which actually surprised me.
Just wait ... come, say, March of next year, UA will claw back the entire DEN-NRT flight, then grudgingly will give you DEN-SEA after much calling and writing.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:51 pm

From everyone's experience is it as easy as a call to the 1K desk or should I send the letter I typed?

Also I am more concerned with the PQM than the Redeemable miles- Any issues with that from every ones experience?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by drowelf
I was on the 787 that diverted to MSY last December. They brought in a new plane and I ended up getting credit for IAH0->MSY and MSY->EWR.

No calls required. It all posted normally.
Yup that has been my experience too. When they either put you on a different flight at the diversion point or they create a new flight (i.e. new equipment, crew issues, whatever) you get credit for both segments.

For example, I was on a BOS-SFO flight that diverted to DEN for a medical. For whatever reason it was taking forever and the crew was (supposedly) close to timing out. I called the GS desk and got rebooked on a scheduled DEN-SFO flight and got credit for BOS-SFO and DEN-SFO. YMMV

Originally Posted by tasnam
From everyone's experience is it as easy as a call to the 1K desk or should I send the letter I typed?

Also I am more concerned with the PQM than the Redeemable miles- Any issues with that from every ones experience?
You should have good luck calling the MileagePlus Service Center (perhaps the 1K desk can connect you) and getting ORC which should post both the PQM and Redeemable Miles (along with associated bonuses as applicable).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Yup that has been my experience too. When they either put you on a different flight at the diversion point or they create a new flight (i.e. new equipment, crew issues, whatever) you get credit for both segments.

For example, I was on a BOS-SFO flight that diverted to DEN for a medical. For whatever reason it was taking forever and the crew was (supposedly) close to timing out. I called the GS desk and got rebooked on a scheduled DEN-SFO flight and got credit for BOS-SFO and DEN-SFO. YMMV

You should have good luck calling the MileagePlus Service Center (perhaps the 1K desk can connect you) and getting ORC which should post both the PQM and Redeemable Miles (along with associated bonuses as applicable).
Thank you Ken0223
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was flying ORD-RDU last year and we diverted to CVG due to a m/x issue. After 90 minutes we took back off for RDU. I only got credit for ORD-RDU which is what I was expecting, I never thought to try and get two segments or extra miles.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:46 pm

In the past I have received full credit for diverted flights due to WX, including full COS bonus for full Y-fare.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Last year, IAH-SAN got diverted to LAX due to fog (eventhough if the flight were not delayed we would have landed well before the fog).

There was no LAX-SAN flight as they bussed some of us to SAN and let the rest of us hanging (including myself). I got IAH-SAN credit a few days later.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been on two flights where we took off and had to return back to the airport for issues.

- One was PHX-SAN on HP where SAN was fogged in. We got all the way to SAN, attempted to land, couldn't and diverted back to PHX
- One was PHX-DFW on AA where we took off, they couldn't retract the landing gear and we landed back at PHX within 10 or so minutes

The second one I understand, but I was always upset I didn't get mileage credit for the first flight. I was on the plane enough for two whole segments and got nothing but two hours of wasted time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.