Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flight credit in irrops situation
  • For diverted and then continued to destination -- generally just the standard credit, no extra for the diversion. Some possibility if diversion is overnight and a special section is scheduled, then separate flight credit
  • For very indirect flight plan (such as to avoid weather) -- nope (especially in the case of fare based crediting)
  • For return to base -- it is as if the flight never happened.
  • Planned rerouting, With fare based credit, no change but should get the extra segments credit. If the rerouting reduces the segment credit, request ORC.

For lifetime miles, again generally just the originally booked credit
  • For return to base, never happen
  • For formal rerouting, should receive reroute credit, if less ORC
Print Wikipost

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Am I entitled to receive mileage credit for a diverted flight?

I was on an EWR-CVG nonstop. Due to weather in CVG (this was back on April 1), we were diverted to CLE. UA put up all the passengers at the CLE Sheraton and I was rebooked on CLE-CVG the next morning. My CLE-CVG posted to my MileagePlus account but the EWR-CVG (which ultimately became EWR-CLE due to diversion) never posted to my account. Am I entitled to receive mileage credit for the EWR-CVG (or the EWR-CLE, if you will) leg of the trip? Or am I not entitled to any mileage credit at all for either the EWR-CVG or the EWR-CLE portions?

Last edited by vdostoi1; Apr 12, 2012 at 8:17 am Reason: Clarification added
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
I was on a diversion earlier this year (mechanical in this case) that lead to much the same scenario. I called the mileage plus help desk after a week or so had passed and they manually forced credit for the diverted leg (in this case ORD-FRA diverted to BOS). I got credit for the ORD-BOS segment and it posted under the original flight number. I doubt you could make the case that you should get credit for the original routing which was not flown. Lastly, I should point out that this all happened under the pmUA computer system, so no guarentees they can make it happen now that Shares is in place!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:06 am

They can make it happen now that SHARES is in place too! Just hope you don't get a PMUA agent with a crappy attitude and a predisposition to blame their laziness on SHARES!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
For the record, did they continue your original flight in the morning (even under a new flight number) or were you accomidated on a regularly scheduled CLE-CVG?

If the former, I would think you are just due EWR-CVG. If the latter, you should be due EWR-CLE/CVG plus CLE-CVG.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwildnj
For the record, did they continue your original flight in the morning (even under a new flight number) or were you accomidated on a regularly scheduled CLE-CVG?

If the former, I would think you are just due EWR-CVG. If the latter, you should be due EWR-CLE/CVG plus CLE-CVG.
They did continue my original flight in the AM but since it was leaving later than the regularly scheduled flight and I needed to make my meeting, I opted to be rebooked on the regularly scheduled flight. Also, for the record, the CLE-CVG segment posted with no problems. Called MP Service Center to have the other flights credited and was told they would be credited within 48 hours. We will see what happens...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by fragment54
They can make it happen now that SHARES is in place too! Just hope you don't get a PMUA agent with a crappy attitude and a predisposition to blame their laziness on SHARES!

But, joking aside, they may be able to but there is nothing in the new dumbed-down rules (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx) that says that they have any obligation to do so anymore - I believe in contrast to both the PMUA and the PMCO rules.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Am I entitled to receive mileage credit for the EWR-CVG (or the EWR-CLE, if you will) leg of the trip? Or am I not entitled to any mileage credit at all for either the EWR-CVG or the EWR-CLE portions?
You're entitled to all mileage for any flight that you paid for and sat on!

I have a re-scheduled itin that I changed 1/2 way through my trip due to weather on 3/27 where only 2 of 3 legs posted, so I guess I am waiting for some imaginary re-sweep, which is what you may be also experiencing.

If I were you, I'd call MP and hope you get someone that understands what you're talking about. If after a short period of time you start to receive the ol' 72 hour wait, or the 2 week wait story, hang up and call back.

BTW, mailing your original BP's to MP may be the last time you ever have a leg to stand on!

Giv-em a call, and hang tough, but be cool, as they have the supreme power and only their divine intervention is going to get your miles now, IMHO!!!
BTW, they can see that you were on the first (diverted) flight when they look at your record.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LilAbner
You're entitled to all mileage for any flight that you paid for and sat on!

I have a re-scheduled itin that I changed 1/2 way through my trip due to weather on 3/27 where only 2 of 3 legs posted, so I guess I am waiting for some imaginary re-sweep, which is what you may be also experiencing.

If I were you, I'd call MP and hope you get someone that understands what you're talking about. If after a short period of time you start to receive the ol' 72 hour wait, or the 2 week wait story, hang up and call back.

BTW, mailing your original BP's to MP may be the last time you ever have a leg to stand on!

Giv-em a call, and hang tough, but be cool, as they have the supreme power and only their divine intervention is going to get your miles now, IMHO!!!
BTW, they can see that you were on the first (diverted) flight when they look at your record.
Well, I got the 24-48 hour runaround when I called today so I will see if anything actually happens after 48 hours. I did spend over an hour on the phone. I will see what actually happens now.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Hi all,

I was on UA 125 on 06/20/13, the B-787 that was going LHR-IAH but diverted to EWR. My original itinerary was LHR-IAH-SNA. Upon landing in EWR due to the diversion, I was booked on a non-stop flight to SNA later that evening.

Over a week later, neither I nor my wife (who was traveling with me but on a separate PNR) have received credit for the diverted flight (UA 125). We both received credit for the rebooked flight from EWR within about 48 hours. So it's obvious at this point that we're going to have to call in to get the credit for the flight from LHR to EWR.

My question is... is it normal to have to call in to get credit for a diverted flight? I wonder after reading this thread. If it is normal, why? Why can't UA figure it out and credit the flight automatically (even if it is just to the diverted destination and not the original)? Has anyone been on a diverted flight that credited automatically?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Location: (2013) BUR SEA YVR PDX OAK LAX LAS ATL ICT ICN MNL NRT MSP DFW LGA ORD
Programs: (Active) AF/KL Silver, AM Gold, AS MVP, DL Silver, HA
If you received proper boarding pass(es) for the diversion, yes. Simply submit them manually onto the UA website.

As a bonus, you can also join ANA and submit all your UA/Star flights (up to 6 months back) for credit manually onto their website.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by TheTransitTourist
If you received proper boarding pass(es) for the diversion, yes. Simply submit them manually onto the UA website.

As a bonus, you can also join ANA and submit all your UA/Star flights (up to 6 months back) for credit manually onto their website.
Can you double-dip, doing this?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Location: (2013) BUR SEA YVR PDX OAK LAX LAS ATL ICT ICN MNL NRT MSP DFW LGA ORD
Programs: (Active) AF/KL Silver, AM Gold, AS MVP, DL Silver, HA
Originally Posted by UAtoDE
Can you double-dip, doing this?
Not for double-dipping. But only for segs you didn't get credit on. If you did eventually got UA, then you don't need to do ANA.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:02 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Segment Credit Question

Original segment was supposed to be LAX>BOS. There was a fire near the fuel farm at BOS on Tuesday and no one could get fuel. After a 2 hour delay, they decided to fly to Manchester regional airport for fuel. We were on the ground there for about an hour re-fueling, then off to LAX, arriving 3 hours late, missing connection, etc.

Should fuel stops count as segments/PQM? There was no credit for it.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
keep dreaming

your best recourse is to write in requesting compensation which you very well might not get as this situation was out of UAs control.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:37 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
I wouldn't request compensation since it was an airport issue. The question was more, does anyone ever receive segment/PQM credit for diversions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.