Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flight credit in irrops situation
  • For diverted and then continued to destination -- generally just the standard credit, no extra for the diversion. Some possibility if diversion is overnight and a special section is scheduled, then separate flight credit
  • For very indirect flight plan (such as to avoid weather) -- nope (especially in the case of fare based crediting)
  • For return to base -- it is as if the flight never happened.
  • Planned rerouting, With fare based credit, no change but should get the extra segments credit. If the rerouting reduces the segment credit, request ORC.

For lifetime miles, again generally just the originally booked credit
  • For return to base, never happen
  • For formal rerouting, should receive reroute credit, if less ORC
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I was on DSM-ORD earlier this year and we flew to ORD, circled and then diverted to Moline...after a few hours we flew to ord....when looking at flight status, they did change the flight number for that day to DSM-MOL and MOL-ORD. I didn't have the presence of mind to ask them to credit me for 2 500 mile legs instead of one
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold

I searched for this topic, but didn't find anything... Was recently on UA1110, SFO-DEN. Diverted to COS for weather, so the flight number was split into UA1110 SFO-COS, then UA1110 COS-DEN. Mileage posted as SFO-DEN only, both RDM and PQM. I've never actually been on a flight that splits into two during IRROPS, just wanted to make sure the way the miles posted is the correct one. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yup. You bought & paid for a SFO-DEN ticket and that's what you got credit for. Maybe they ought to offer the opportunity to buy the COS-DEN, but they don't !!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by welless
....I've never actually been on a flight that splits into two during IRROPS, just wanted to make sure the way the miles posted is the correct one. ...
Diversions post based on the purchased itin. Even significant diversions.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Mileage credit during IRROPS

Great, thanks! I just wasn't sure, because my original itinerary was actually SFO-MCI. Misconnected that flight due to a delayed arrival, and routed through DEN. So I earned credit based on that actual flown itinerary, wasn't sure if it extended to the additional described situation.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool I flew it, I should get the miles and segment credit, right?

So, flew a little CRJ outta SFO up to ACV tonight. Circled once, essentially momentarily, then headed back to SFO. A coupla' hours outta my life I'll never get back. Low clouds, apparently, but then the pilot was a real joker, exhorting us at takeoff to ring the FA call button often, and make sure to ask for multiple refills of our drinks. Yes, he really did that. Forgot to mention that there was weather at ACV, for some reason, and that the alternate airport was SFO, and that he'd only taken on enough fuel to fly around the destination then head home. Nice. I hope Rep. Tom McClintock, who was also on the plane, sends a nice letter to UA.

So here's the question. I had to go to the airport, I had to wait around, and then sit on the plane while we flew two segments, SFO-ACV, and ACV-SFO. Shouldn't I get mile and segment credit for my trouble?

Now I just hope the jokers can actually get me there in the morning....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Circled once, essentially momentarily, then headed back to SFO.
"Eureka! I found it!"

So here's the question. I had to go to the airport, I had to wait around, and then sit on the plane while we flew two segments, SFO-ACV, and ACV-SFO. Shouldn't I get mile and segment credit for my trouble?
This question gets asked a lot and the answer always seems to be "no", you get what you paid for (and only if it completes — if the flight is cancelled you may not get ORC). Flights which divert to their origin airport are treated as 'canceled' rather than 'operated' for accrual, iirc. And when you divert operationally you don't get a bonus PQS for the stop. And the passengers of Northwest flight 188 did not get extra SkyPesos for their extra long route.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Normally when a flight diverts and then cancels, one earns miles according to the originally scheduled route. Here the flight diverted back to its origin, so logically one should get miles for SFO-ACV.

OTOH the argument about having wasted time going to the airport doesn't lead one to get miles for flights that have totally cancelled where the passenger cannot be rebooked or declares a trip in vain.

ADDED: Northwest 188 was just a case of a route being (much) longer than the length in air miles assigned to the route. It's no different than not getting extra miles for a flight than goes around a weather system or circles the airport before landing due to ATC congestion conditions.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Yeah, I know, I just got a little pissed off at the pilot's flippant attitude toward everything ("We'll be cruising at 45,000 feet for essentially one minute." "Ring your attendant call button often.") and his and the airline's decision to take on only enough fuel to fly to the destination airport and turn around, no allowance for giving the clouds 15 minutes to clear out, and a little pissed off there was no agent anywhere in sight when we got back to SFO. Pretty amateurish show altogether. I oughtta get some miles for putting up with it. So there.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Good luck!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Normally when a flight diverts and then cancels, one earns miles according to the originally scheduled route. Here the flight diverted back to its origin, so logically one should get miles for SFO-ACV.
Well, I don't think you get SFO-ACV miles *twice*. If the flight diverts SFO-SFO once and then operates again the next day, you don't earn more segments. And if you give up and request a refund in lieu of being accommodated to your destination, you don't get miles for the partially flown diverted journey.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: UA DL AA WN VX AS
Last year I was on a ps JFK to SFO, that was delayed for 2 hours, boarded and sat at the gate for 2 hours, taxied out near the runway and parked for 2 hours, taxied back to the gate and sat for 2 hours and was then cancelled. I was rebooked onto a flight the next day. I got miles and segments as if I had taken two JFK-SFO flights, as well as some apology miles.

So it might happen!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
Doc--Your story reminded me of this one from thirty years ago.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So, flew a little CRJ outta SFO up to ACV tonight. Circled once, essentially momentarily, then headed back to SFO. A coupla' hours outta my life I'll never get back. Low clouds, apparently, but then the pilot was a real joker, exhorting us at takeoff to ring the FA call button often, and make sure to ask for multiple refills of our drinks. Yes, he really did that. Forgot to mention that there was weather at ACV, for some reason, and that the alternate airport was SFO, and that he'd only taken on enough fuel to fly around the destination then head home. Nice. I hope Rep. Tom McClintock, who was also on the plane, sends a nice letter to UA.

Now I just hope the jokers can actually get me there in the morning....
IME based pmUA for multiple times on SFO-STS, you will get 0 for the SFO-SFO flight. You will get credit if and when the flight actually operates as scheduled. This is consistent with you don't get extra miles for diversions or flying circles awaiting to land.

This was not UA caused, you get hat was promised for what your purchased and it will cost UA extra to get you there. Frustrating yes, but expecting extra flight credit for a WX issue is just going to frustrate you more.

Some related past threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-irrops.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...turn-gate.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-flight.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2015 at 6:31 am Reason: links
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Another ordinary ops day at Arcata-Eureka airport. One time during a mild winter storm (misty, but the adjacent ocean waters were choppy), my EM2 came in sideways for a few moments where, sitting on the A side, I could see the runway even though the plane was heading straight towards it. Seriously, I can't say that I'd prefer arriving that way than returning to SFO. IMO, I can understand why the pilot downplayed the weather situation. Drawing attention to it would have caused unnecessary angst, even to people who are familiar with the nature of that airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.