Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by channa
DL/NW didn't have it because they didn't refer to themselves as sDL and sNW.
They operated as two separate airlines with different contracts for most work groups for several years. You may be technically correct in that they used different terminology to refer to the different groups of employees.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinbob

All the problems they discuss about pre-merger United were basically internal...

The old, breaking down, filthy planes?
. Landing #1 on time in 2008, 2009, and 1h 2010. Those planes. Yes.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:16 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
THe question I have is where does UA go from here? They could be a great airline if they figured out how to fix the culture problems.

Its something I fear with AA, hopefully they will negotiate things correctly, but it seems that DL is the best at dealing with the "merger culture"
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I think one of the big differences between the UA/CO merger and the Delta/NW merger is that it seemed like Delta had a very good grasp in advance of what had to be done and when in order to merge successfully. I remember seeing a picture taken that showed the project map showing actions that had to be taken and when in order to make Delta one cohesive unit - i.e. until we accomplish this we can't proceed with this, and x must be completed by such and such date, etc.

Since the beginning of the UA/CO merger, it's never felt like UA has a complete grasp on everything needed to make one step of the merger successful much less the entire merger. It still feels like there are thing left uncompleted from the first changes made 4 years ago (yes things like the name, the pUA vs pCO etc), much less most recent changes that feel like they are just throwing darts and trying to see if that works or just copying off a page they took from the Delta website.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
. Landing #1 on time in 2008, 2009, and 1h 2010. Those planes. Yes.
Really? Do you actually believe that? Pls show statistics. The ones I found for 2008 show CO#12 among U.S. carriers at 74% and UA at #17 with 71.6% for arrivals. Yes, that airline and those planes. 17th. I guess you're quoting the on-time statistics for the subset of UA planes that landed on time

I started w/ 2008 and stopped there because I don't want to do the rest of your job of actually finding statistics to support your statement.

http://businesstravel.about.com/od/a...time_stats.htm

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 11, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I can't help but notice we, as a community, failed to move past what ails UNITED.

Blaming Uniteds problems on Continental (and v.v) is the problem. I'm not sure if ironic properly describes the scene, but still worth noting.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I can't help but notice we, as a community, failed to move past what ails UNITED.

Blaming Uniteds problems on Continental (and v.v) is the problem. I'm not sure if ironic properly describes the scene, but still worth noting.
Yes. The past is gone and current management is certainly on the hook by now for ALL of UA's current failings.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't think liveries matter to employees, culture does. A livery can be part of a culture, but at the end of the day it's really a marketing and maintenance cost decision.

The name and merger approach were driven by different circumstances that everyone seems to forget. Delta is unified under one name with apparently happy employees today, but it was not a pleasant merger and the unification of employees was the result of union decertification for most work groups. Using the AA name seems to be working because everyone know it's really a takeover by US. The AA name and DFW HQ are tokens for the AA employees.

United had two strong unionized work groups entering the merger as relative equals, though UA was a bit larger. The concept of the unified name and livery was to bring the two sides together. Again, it was a concept and clearly not backed up by sufficient strategy.
Just keep in mind that UA front-line employees came into the situation with a history of extraordinary animosity between themselves and Tilton. Tilton who famously said at a shareholder's meeting ("famously" to me, although it inexplicably was ignored by nearly all) "Employee morale is not my problem." The employees on the UA side were really hoping to see something better. Instead, they got a new CEO who wants to blame everything he can on the pre-merger United employees and equipment.

To have made this merger work well would have required an outside party, someone without much prior skin in the game on either side. I don't think that's required for mergers in general, but this one in particular.
Originally Posted by anc-ord772

I think we, as a community, have identified JeffS as what ails United. The past doesn't matter; the CEO's had three years to get merge armies. A workable gameplan should have been worked out before the merger even happened. It wasn't. There have been zero, zilch, nada, problems that couldn't have been foreseen.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jul 11, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:36 pm

You know things are bad when employees are wearing the 'All Jeff'd Up"/You got smiseked" shirts to work under their uniform shirt. But on the bright side - One thing that employees have come together on!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
You know things are bad when employees are wearing the 'All Jeff'd Up"/You got smiseked" shirts to work under their uniform shirt. But on the bright side - One thing that employees have come together on!
Despite my feelings about upper management at UA, such employees should be reprimanded and managers that allowed this should be fired. The likely reason why this hasn't happened is because the last thing Jeff wants to do is create martyrs. A rallying point. Too bad. It might be the best thing that could happen. But again, any business that allows employees to do such things isn't a business worth patronizing. It points to serious issues.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Tilton who famously said at a shareholder's meeting ("famously" to me, although it inexplicably was ignored by nearly all) "Employee morale is not my problem."
No wonder Tilton and Smisek got along. As leaders, they are equally clueless.

I think we, as a community, have identified JeffS as what ails United. The past doesn't matter; the CEO's had three years to get merge armies. A workable gameplan should have been worked out before the merger even happened. It wasn't. There have been zero, zilch, nada, problems that couldn't have been foreseen.
^^
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Despite my feelings about upper management at UA, such employees should be reprimanded and managers that allowed this should be fired.
You're going to allow management to instruct employees to take off their uniform shirts so that their t-shirts can be inspected? I know management has certain rights under their various contracts, but don't think you're going to find this one written down anywhere. How will management identify these trouble makers?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
The past is very much alive here. It is easy to see the sCO vs sUA, PMCO vs PMUA rhetoric in this thread, let alone many others on the UNITED FT board.

Yes, on one level there is a common theme that JS is not the right CEO for the company and many of the problems are of his teams own making. Move down one level and there is a consistent drumbeat of passionate positioning around the two camps and which airline was/is better/worse and who is right/wrong.

I certainly don't believe the debate on FT has been elevated above playing the CO vs UA blame game, and we've suffered because of it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
You're going to allow management to instruct employees to take off their uniform shirts so that their t-shirts can be inspected? I know management has certain rights under their various contracts, but don't think you're going to find this one written down anywhere. How will management identify these trouble makers?
No, I'm not saying that at all. If an employee is dumb enough to "expose" him or herself, or talk about it to the wrong person, the hammer comes down. I'm not suggesting that you line everyone up and have them take off their uniforms.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Really? Do you actually believe that? Pls show statistics. The ones I found for 2008 show CO#12 among U.S. carriers at 74% and UA at #17 with 71.6% for arrivals. Yes, that airline and those planes. 17th. I guess you're quoting the on-time statistics for the subset of UA planes that landed on time

I started w/ 2008 and stopped there because I don't want to do the rest of your job of actually finding statistics to support your statement.

http://businesstravel.about.com/od/a...time_stats.htm
Oops! I found it...

2008 Leading On-time Carriers*
1) United Airlines 71.6%
2) American Airlines 69.8%

*List excludes regional carriers, commuter airlines, airlines that don't exist in name anymore, and any current legacy carrier whose name begins with the letter D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.