Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Fair points. In reality however, UA could bring as many high rev business customers as it wanted, the pre merger airline was still not prepared for the future and not running a sustainable business model while CO was, at least to a point.

P.S. was a last ditch effort to remain relevant in a market that AA basically invented (and then reinvented) more than a decade earlier with Flagship Service. Today's P.S. is by no means better than any other product offered on this route.
TED was an answer to Delta's Song (and maybe the US MetroJet to some extent), which at the time offered a superior onboard product, though regardless, all were miserable failures. The early 2000s branding overhaul was necessary to distance UA from its pre 9/11 battleship gray image, but unfortunately was executed too slowly and never fully realized before the merger anyway.

The 2-4-2 IPTE J product was just an unfortunately timed overhaul. On one hand, flat J was an important step forward, though aisle access J stared to become the industry standard shortly after. AA had the same unfortunate timing rolling out the ski slopes shortly before flat J became standard. 787s and A350s yes, also important, but again, by that point the rest of the industry in the US was also already set to go with new wide body orders.

I strongly disagree though that CO would have been squeezed to its demise had it not merged with UA. Post Kellner, Smisek would have I'm sure still been the little snake he is today along with his crew of misfits and ruined a once turned around airline, but CO was set up so well it's difficult to believe even an imbecile like Smisek could have screwed it up too royally. I would argue that instead Tilton would have run UA to its ultimate demise and DL, AA, and CO would have been left picking over the parts they wanted, likely the Pacific network more than anything else.
CO would've been in deep you know what if they had not merged with UA. There was literally no other airline for them to merge with. AA/CO would've never worked, nor would DL/CO. UA was already set up better against DL/NW and had the hub structure and international clout to survive without a merger, same as AA. CO and US were the only two remaining regional airlines and would've found it difficult to compete against DL/NW. With UA looking to acquire US Airways, Jeff Smisek flat out knew he had to act and he is on record saying in front of congress when they were questioning the UA/US merger that CO did not have a bright future ahead of it. Glenn Tilton made no such statements about United, who BTW, was in no danger of collapsing.

"This merger is necessary for Continental"

"Our future as a stand alone entity as far as we can see, one in which we will eek out a hand-to-mouth existence".

-Jeff Smisek, June 16, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYCrnHYe0eU

Particular comments begin around 53:00
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by joshwex90
You didn't mention SHARES; others constantly do. You mentioned the livery, which seems completely unconnected. You've based your entire premise on not updating a livery meaning they clearly didn't update a business plan. That's a very immature way of looking at a business, and ignores their stellar record heading into the merger as a business.

As for implying everything is OK - I don't understand what you're asking. Implying what's OK?
SHARES matters, because it sucks (45 min to rebook my flight on the phone, as an "elite"). Come on. The livery matters to the employees. When DL merged with NW - EVERYTHING was branded DL. It matters to employees (I guess) as morale seems very low in CS. Why would you trade under the symbol: United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL) - NYSE

They should be named UAL - United Airlines. Even Parker is using AAL (no mention of US). American Airlines Group Inc. (AAL) -NasdaqGS

And get rid of the RJ's or improve service in them on flts over 1-1/2 hours.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
SHARES matters, because it sucks (45 min to rebook my flight on the phone, as an "elite"). Come on. The livery matters to the employees. When DL merged with NW - EVERYTHING was branded DL. It matters to employees (I guess) as morale seems very low in CS. Why would you trade under the symbol: United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL) - NYSE

They should be named UAL - United Airlines. Even Parker is using AAL (no mention of US). American Airlines Group Inc. (AAL) -NasdaqGS

And get rid of the RJ's or improve service in them on flts over 1-1/2 hours.
I don't think liveries matter to employees, culture does. A livery can be part of a culture, but at the end of the day it's really a marketing and maintenance cost decision.

The name and merger approach were driven by different circumstances that everyone seems to forget. Delta is unified under one name with apparently happy employees today, but it was not a pleasant merger and the unification of employees was the result of union decertification for most work groups. Using the AA name seems to be working because everyone know it's really a takeover by US. The AA name and DFW HQ are tokens for the AA employees.

United had two strong unionized work groups entering the merger as relative equals, though UA was a bit larger. The concept of the unified name and livery was to bring the two sides together. Again, it was a concept and clearly not backed up by sufficient strategy.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by GNVFlyer
I took a flight a few weeks ago in paid F (well A) on UA from MCO-DEN. As I avoid United whenever possible, I thought I should compliment the the two FAs in the cabin. When I said I don't fly UA often because of service issues, they, politely but firmly, informed me they were CO (not UA).
I was about to type 'unbelievable', but unfortunately it is. This garbage still goes on. How immature. I would send them back to re-training or out the door.

Originally Posted by GNVFlyer
I think that says alot about the culture right now and puts Cranky Flier in context.
You got it. And it comes from the 'change/leadership comes from the top down' point that thousands of us are making.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seanp7
I was about to type 'unbelievable', but unfortunately it is. This garbage still goes on. How immature. I would send them back to re-training or out the door.
It still does. I flew with a sCO crew a couple weeks ago...they too were sad about the cuts. I did talk about how great PMUA was for elites, and they were dumbfounded - they said they could honestly not figure out why anyone would want to fly that airline, and they thought PMUA had nothing good to offer, whatsoever.

I just shook my head and went back to my seat.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It still does. I flew with a sCO crew a couple weeks ago...they too were sad about the cuts. I did talk about how great PMUA was for elites, and they were dumbfounded - they said they could honestly not figure out why anyone would want to fly that airline, and they thought PMUA had nothing good to offer, whatsoever.

This really shows how dysfunctional the current UA is, and how poor the leadership is. Effective leaders would have made the development of a new culture that respected both pmCO and pmUA their priority. Instead, Jeff and his minions are leading the effort that results in finger-pointing between the merged-in-name work groups.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
But technically they were right. They work for sCO, not sUA.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Keep in mind that the CO staff have had their heads filled with how great they are for the previous 20 years. Given that background, it's not difficult to understand why they would think that way.

Management did an ineffective job at joining the cultures. They should have plugged the strengths of both and brought things together. That way each side could respect one another through the merger process.

Instead, they continue to reinforce the CO beliefs (e.g., the comment about PMUA's lack of training is a perfect example, or trivializing SHARES concerns by saying it's a familiarity issue).
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by channa
But technically they were right. They work for sCO, not sUA.
Right, and I saw your subsequent comments and viewpoints, but it's still immature and to do this customer-facing (in a United uniform on a United plane) is deplorable. Do it in the lunch room by all means. DL/NW didn't have this issue 4 years on (as pointed out by CrankyFlier's article), and that's comparing apples to apples from a customer perspective. Living in the past...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:26 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Instead, they continue to reinforce the CO beliefs (e.g., the comment about PMUA's lack of training is a perfect example, or trivializing SHARES concerns by saying it's a familiarity issue).
I am not familiar with UA's trivializing SHARES concerns. Could you quote a statement by UA in which this trivializing occurs by saying it is a familiarity issue?

Further, in regards to SHARES, before the merger was there a study done about using SHARES for the merger vs UA's computer system before the merger , and then SHARES was decided upon?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Right, and I saw your subsequent comments and viewpoints, but it's still immature and to do this customer-facing (in a United uniform on a United plane) is deplorable. Do it in the lunch room by all means. DL/NW didn't have this issue 4 years on (as pointed out by CrankyFlier's article), and that's comparing apples to apples from a customer perspective. Living in the past...
DL/NW didn't have it because they didn't refer to themselves as sDL and sNW.

Originally Posted by mkr
I am not familiar with UA's trivializing SHARES concerns. Could you quote a statement by UA in which this trivializing occurs by saying it is a familiarity issue?
Statement? There's no public statement on internal matters. UA management have told this to sUA staff when they raised concerns -- there's a learning curve, but SHARES is fine.

Originally Posted by mkr
Further, in regards to SHARES, before the merger was there a study done about using SHARES for the merger vs UA's computer system before the merger , and then SHARES was decided upon?
I think SHARES was a requirement.

There was probably some Texas/board linkage like with the coffee.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'll say it again: Continental was abandoning its own elites pre-merger after Mr. Smisek took over. My upgrade rate plummeted as TODs/FC buyups of some sort became more and more prevalent. The article points out that UA was improving as the merger neared; CO was getting worse. It pains me to hear blanket condemnations of CO, because throughout most of the 2000s it was a damn good airline.
True. But the reason that was happening in Continental (no food in Y, secret handshake elite level akin to GS, E/PQS devaluation, FC buyups, RJs etc.) was to align itself with UA for the merger. The article refers to Continental as a premier airline (compared to United and the others.) As soon as the merger was planned, and Continental jumped from the SkyTeam to *A, the premier airline that some of us knew and loved (and did not care whether or not served Asia) went away. To me, this is a result of the merger and not an indication that Continental went "downhill" before the merger. So when a lot of us are referring to pre-merger Continental, we are really talking about pre-*A Continental.

Indeed, there were 2 different cultures serving 2 different kinds of customers and they tried to mix and match, which resulted in total disappointment of both kinds of customers. In retrospect, if that merger was like the AA-TW or the HP-US mergers, which picked one paradigm and followed it, it would had been more successful. On the other hand, it would had lost more customers initially for the side that did not win. What they are did, I think is costing them more customers but the leakage is slower but for much longer...

No right or wrong here. Square pegs in round holes...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:01 am

FAs (technically) do NOT work for sCO. They work for the new UA under a union contract currently remaining from CO.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Laughable that people are excusing early 2000s underperformance by trotting out 9/11 and the dot-com bust as if all airlines weren't equally exposed.

And if this merger hadn't gone through, it's likely both UA and CO would be Ch7 by now.

Last edited by TheStoicPaisano; Jul 11, 2014 at 9:04 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
DL/NW didn't have it because they didn't refer to themselves as sDL and sNW.
It is more that what the crews are referring themselves as. After the DL/NW merger, the resulting corporate entity's name was Delta Air Lines Inc. After the CO/UA merger the corporate entity's name is United Continental Holdings Inc. That's part of the division here. It implies that there are separate United assets and Continental assets.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by flythewing
FAs (technically) do NOT work for sCO. They work for the new UA under a union contract currently remaining from CO.
Nope. They (technically) work for United Continental Holdings Inc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.