Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by united4
His dismissive attitude to the airline that is now his employer is further proof that the ex-CO employees needed some humility in realizing they are no longer at Continental.
My dismissive attitude? No dude my dismissive attitude is from people like you who can't get out of the past and think that everything UA needs to be kept while erasing everything CO. And for the record the merger between DL & NW some things were brought over from the NW side and I suspect some things from the US side will carry over with the AA/US merger.

And as usual these threads always turn into a "CO was such a horrible airline and UA was so perfect" kinda thread.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
My dismissive attitude? No dude my dismissive attitude is from people like you who can't get out of the past and think that everything UA needs to be kept while erasing everything CO. And for the record the merger between DL & NW some things were brought over from the NW side and I suspect some things from the US side will carry over with the AA/US merger.

Is he an employee?

Customers can have whatever attitudes they want, but for an employee to think poorly or negatively of half of the organization is unacceptable.

Sadly this behavior is condoned by the CEO, as evidenced by his recent comments.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Ah, but you have no problem living in the past referring to yourself as an "sCO" employee, and are also defensive if anybody dares try to state the FACT that Continental Airlines is dead. You are on record to saying to legacy UA flyers on this site that the tulip is dead and they need to get over it, yet you have not "gotten over" the fact that your airline was acquired and you have been a United employee for nearly 4 years.

You have no problem with almost everything going the CO way, and with it being shown not to really work, blast anybody who dares suggest that they should've kept more of the legacy United policies/systems/branding.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:43 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
UA lifetime Gold here. I don't hate on UA like most, but I acknowledge that UA has plenty of room to improve. That being said, AA and DL aren't a lot better in my experience, as I've had numerous challenges with them, too (and I've got DL Plat status largely through credit card spend and moderate flying).

Those who think the name is an issue are kidding themselves. UA's problems stem from mismanagement, labor issues (the fact that the UA and CO unions will not merge has been tragic for everyone), market competition, and the like...much as is true for AA and DL even now. UA needs to change, but so do all airlines. Change is pretty difficult with the union forces fighting them at every step, too...which is one reason UA suffers so many mechanical issues and delays which could be avoided, since the mechanics unions for UA and CO are not permitting members to work on the other airlines original planes! Unions are important, and critical, but the insouciance of the unions here is causing a major headache for everyone. That isn't a management problem.

Everyone seems to see the grass greener on the other side without ever having spent much time there. For former CO flyers, yes, I'd agree that CO service was far better before the merger, but I'd also had pretty decent service whenever I flew pre-merged UA, to be fair. I'd say UA service and responsiveness are better now than before the merger. I'd say CO flyers have far more options and a better route map than they had before the merger.

Life is change, and some are simply holding onto the vestiges of the past regardless of the fact that it's dead and gone. Suck it up.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, but you have no problem living in the past referring to yourself as an "sCO" employee
In fairness, this is the nomenclature that is used, which is another management fail.

US used US East and US West to quickly eliminate the HP name.

Like the company being United Continental Holdings (another management fail), they should have used other names for the workgroups rather than the legacy company names.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Just looking at the arguments on this board prove this article is spot on. From my experience. UA was great during IRROPS, excellent customer service in the late 2000's. In contrast, CO always got me there on time. Which one was better? Don't care. Today I have bad IRROPS experiences with poor customer service.

Originally Posted by channa
Is he an employee?

Customers can have whatever attitudes they want, but for an employee to think poorly or negatively of half of the organization is unacceptable.

Sadly this behavior is condoned by the CEO, as evidenced by his recent comments.
Can UA be a great airline? Of course it can. If I didn't want to stick around I would've left years ago before the merger. I enjoy working here and I enjoy the people I work with. My issue is from people who can't get out of the past rather then living in the present and the future. CO is dead old UA is dead lets move onto the present and the future rather then dwelling on the past.

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
United was good to its elites, otherwise it was not a great airline in the 2000s, and did nothing new after PS/E+ were added. It stagnated. However, in 2010-11 things were on an upswing. Meanwhile many of the things we don't like about the merged carrier (cuts in soft product, TODs) had started to spread at CO. The CO of 2010 was not the CO of 2001-6, it was worse.

Employees want to do a good job. When tools are taking away from them, and passengers justifiably take it out on them, they stop caring about their jobs. That is what has happened in spades at UAL. Sad, but your post is oh so true....
^ +1 Spot on, on all counts.

Definite opportunity missed - pmUA employees were so hopeful at the time of the merger (I remember this), and pmCO ones were still on board from old days...

Pulling the merger of two radically different businesses was way beyond the abilities of current management - and that is all there is to it, really.

For what is worth, this pmCO guy kind of liked the last iteration of the tulip...
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:47 pm

Ah, but you have no problem living in the past referring to yourself as an "sCO" employee, and are also defensive if anybody dares try to state the FACT that Continental Airlines is dead. You are on record to saying to legacy UA flyers on this site that the tulip is dead and they need to get over it, yet you have not "gotten over" the fact that your airline was acquired and you have been a United employee for nearly 4 years.

You have no problem with almost everything going the CO way, and with it being shown not to really work, blast anybody who dares suggest that they should've kept more of the legacy United policies/systems/branding.
Let me give you a little history lesson. The FA group is still separated. sCO FAs can only work sCO aircraft and sUA FAs can only work sUA aircraft. That's why FAs still refer to it as sCO/sUA. And where in any thread have I mentioned I haven't gotten over that the Continental name went away?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can UA be a great airline? Of course it can. If I didn't want to stick around I would've left years ago before the merger. I enjoy working here and I enjoy the people I work with. My issue is from people who can't get out of the past rather then living in the present and the future. CO is dead old UA is dead lets move onto the present and the future rather then dwelling on the past.

That's fine, so let's fix the future. Maybe you can start by telling your union not treat the crossover FAs so poorly and honoring their seniority until an agreement comes out.

That's just an example of how the divide continues -- take suboptimal work or a layoff, but only apply it to one side of the company.

Let me give you a little history lesson. The FA group is still separated. sCO FAs can only work sCO aircraft and sUA FAs can only work sUA aircraft. That's why FAs still refer to it as sCO/sUA. And where in any thread have I mentioned I haven't gotten over that the Continental name went away?
US and HP had much the same restrictions. They referred to themselves as US West and US East.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 10, 2014 at 2:20 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by channa
That's fine, so let's fix the future. Maybe you can start by telling your union not treat the crossover FAs so poorly and honoring their seniority until an agreement comes out.

That's just an example of how the divide continues -- take suboptimal work or a layoff, but only apply it to one side of the company.
So should a crossover FA who was hired on the UA side in 2006 have more seniority then a CO FA hired in 2005? And for the record I have yet to hear anything negative from the crossover FAs working on the CO side.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:02 pm

Along with that tulip paint job we can have peeling paint jobs, engines with mismatched paint, different colored nose cones, tail numbers that are so small you need a telescope to see it from inside the terminal. Worn interiors, lavs with flower wallpapers, worn out seats etc. Yeah id say that would be the perfect livery for the new united.
United was a big airlines with a big fleet, transitioning liveries a handful of years after 9/11, SARS, Ch.11 protection, and thus doing it slowly during maintenance checks. What would you have them do, reduce regular maintinence procedures because it didn't have the same color? Not to sound trite, but "your airline" never had to deal with these problems, as they were using a livery designed in the late 80s.

My dismissive attitude? No dude my dismissive attitude is from people like you who can't get out of the past and think that everything UA needs to be kept while erasing everything CO.
He never said that! This isn't a zero sum game, it is in fact possible to disagree with this current management team and not believe in "erasing everything CO" or however you put it! I think you're a good guy, Jose, so tread carefully. This is the internet, and I can all but guarantee someone from Willis is reading what you write...

Last edited by tuolumne; Jul 10, 2014 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So should a crossover FA who was hired on the UA side in 2006 have more seniority then a CO FA hired in 2005?
Not sure how it's calculated, but it should be calcualted fairly.

And for the record I have yet to hear anything negative from the crossover FAs working on the CO side.
Of course not. I pegged a crossover FA on a CO flight recently (before door close, it was easy, you can tell by how they serve you). When I mentioned it, he was very discrete about saying anything, because the rest of the crew were COers and he feared they would not necessarily agree with his perspective.

It seems these folks may not be comfortable speaking with their CO counterparts.

Yet another problem in the organization's culture, which this article refers to.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
There is so much retroactive romanticizing of the old United, by employees and passengers alike. It's nonsense; CrankyFlyer is right.
I think most people know/acknowledge (including UA elites, myself in that) that UA wasn't the greatest for hard and soft product for most of the 00's.

They did however, treat their elites exceptionally well, and had a mileage program that was rewarding and biased towards flying UA metal (500's/CR1s only earned on UA BIS).
The way they treated their elite customers in IRROPs was best-in-breed, and they had the policies and technological means of getting people on their way efficiently and reliably.

THAT is what is sorely missing from my perspective. On UA, they may have had MX issues, but they got me where I had to go, quickly, without a fight. It seems that with CO you have to fight to get reaccomodated within a week.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:09 pm

Were supposed to have a joint contract by July next year so hopefully all this bickering and pointing fingers will end. I actually look forward to working with FAs from the sUA side and having the chance to work a 747 and 763.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.