Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:15 pm
Suspended

So what cultural issues. It is the failure of management to deal with these problems.
If there are numerous "fiefdoms" it is up to management to crack down on these and fire the entire bunch.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
So what cultural issues. It is the failure of management to deal with these problems.
If there are numerous "fiefdoms" it is up to management to crack down on these and fire the entire bunch.
The fiefdoms are incredibly corrosive to the healthy corporate culture of the company.

But if you want a good road map of how ineffectively CO handled these kinds of problems you need look no further than the horrendous customer-service culture at their EWR station.

While many here on FT just chalk it up to the New Jersey mannerisms, the fact of the matter is that many other carriers operate major hubs in the NYC region and nowhere will you find the type of non-chalantly abusive behavior that permeates UA's EWR station.

Now, just to be clear, this is not the case with all the people who work at EWR, but the prevalence of wholly unacceptable customer service behavior at EWR is far beyond anything that ought to be considered acceptable.

You have to remember that EWR has always been something of a red-headed step-child at CO/UA, having been acquired from PeoplExpress in 1987.

Ever since then, CO senior management has always struggled with how to get things right at EWR.

Perhaps now, though, that there is so much unacceptable customer service at UA, system-wide, in a strange way, senior management has succeeded in aligning EWR with the rest of the company...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:40 pm

I think an underrated aspect here is that neither Continental nor United pre-merger were especially great or even very good airlines. We're talking about U.S. airlines here after all where old battleaxe flight attendants show the dynamism and enthusiasm for their work of a NYC public sector employee, where domestic flights are run at sub-Ryanair levels. Let's not pretend this is some astounding new development and let's not pretend UA or CO were at the top of the food chain prior to the merger.

As a result, you would have a lack of appetite for what the other side brings to the table - on both sides. But people who are inside these businesses will usually view things a bit differently and see themselves as superior to their rivals.

However the merger was handled poorly in this regard. Operating as United Airlines but having CO's corporate leadership, which promptly "continentalized" most other stuff about UA, while keeping the staff separated, meant that both CO and UA employees were almost certain to see the new UA with the eyes of an alienated outsider rather than a "brand loyalist".

It's predictable and natural then to blame the now quite apparent shortcomings entirely on the other party in the merger while unduly glorifying what you had before the merger.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I can't help but notice we, as a community, failed to move past what ails UNITED.
Actually we have:

(1) raised issues with changes as they were made, suggesting they would not work out
(2) pointed out when they were not working out
(3) suggested things we hoped Jeff would not do, as they would not work out,
(4) When Jeff made those changes pointed out how they would hurt the airline,
(5) pointed out when they actually hurt the airline.

A bunch of folks (myself included) have many times posted the things that would need to change, and how, to start to fix the problem, and many of us have come up with comprehensive lists.

That said, its not easy at this point. Many HVFers have left, and they are not coming back. The real need is to stem the ongoing outflow of valuable traffic and then work to improve things so over time you regain HVF traffic. To do so though, United will have to accept a lower margin as it rebuilds. Instead, further cuts are being made to try to magically create a higher margin, and more damage is being done daily to United.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I think we, as a community, have identified JeffS as what ails United. The past doesn't matter; the CEO's had three years to get merge armies. A workable gameplan should have been worked out before the merger even happened. It wasn't. There have been zero, zilch, nada, problems that couldn't have been foreseen.
If JeffS = his CO management team, then I 110% agree, he and his "savvy" plan is the problem. It might have worked for fortress hubs, or if everyone else was in a race to the bottom, it has failed miserably with real competition.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Maybe what UA needs is a "bone marrow transplant".
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by spin88
Actually we have:

(1) raised issues with changes as they were made, suggesting they would not work out
(2) pointed out when they were not working out
(3) suggested things we hoped Jeff would not do, as they would not work out,
(4) When Jeff made those changes pointed out how they would hurt the airline,
(5) pointed out when they actually hurt the airline.

A bunch of folks (myself included) have many times posted the things that would need to change, and how, to start to fix the problem, and many of us have come up with comprehensive lists.
There have been myriad suggestions offered through this community on how UNITED can improve. It doesn't dismiss that many of our disagreements seem to breakdown into sCO vs sUA fiefdoms. It's not often we see genuine reflection and civility when trying to look at a situation through the lense of others.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
A summary in eleven spot-on quotes!

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Continental was abandoning its own elites pre-merger after Mr. Smisek took over. (...) The article points out that UA was improving as the merger neared; CO was getting worse. It pains me to hear blanket condemnations of CO, because throughout most of the 2000s it was a damn good airline.
United was good to its elites, otherwise it was not a great airline in the 2000s, and did nothing new after PS/E+ were added. It stagnated. However, in 2010-11 things were on an upswing. Meanwhile many of the things we don't like about the merged carrier (cuts in soft product, TODs) had started to spread at CO. The CO of 2010 was not the CO of 2001-6, it was worse.
Key point. [At the merger], the sUA side was very happy, wanted things to work out, yet what did they quickly see from the new "CO Management"

(1) no joint contracts, efforts to force the sCO contracts on them, out-sourcing combined with efforts to shift the flying to sCO, then to outsource where ever he can.
(2) cuts in product quality that passengers took out on them (coffee is a good e.g)
(3) cuts to their discretion and ability to fix problems (SHARES and new more restrictive "just say no" policies
(4) bad operational results and bad financial results to match them.

Any good will rapidly went away. The sCO side rapidly followed in hating Jeff, no one wants to follow a guy like him.
Originally Posted by tuolumne
That was indicative of CO's reluctance to update many parts of their company - whether it be paper logbooks for aircraft, an old patched together res system with no front end GUI, a shyness towards updating their brand in any way, etc. It all strikes me as them believing they didn't have to, given the operating environment of having captive hub customers at two airports. That's what CO was - a 2-hub carrier. Now that they've layed their business model and ethos on top of the 5-hub UAL, the results have been disastrous.
Originally Posted by BearX220
The last four years make Kellner, although I had my issues with him during his days in the CEO's chair, look like a genius of rare perception.
Employees want to do a good job. When tools are taking away from them, and passengers justifiable take it out on them, they stop carrying about their jobs. That is what has happened in spades at UAL.
Originally Posted by channa
Customers are being managed all right. Managed to find their way to Delta and American.
Originally Posted by halls120
This really shows how dysfunctional the current UA is, and how poor the leadership is. Effective leaders would have made the development of a new culture that respected both pmCO and pmUA their priority. Instead, Jeff and his minions are leading the effort that results in finger-pointing between the merged-in-name work groups.
Today, the battle is for sCO or sUA to be the winning culture. Or so it seems.
And it is a nuclear war - noone wins.

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I can't help but notice we, as a community, failed to move past what ails UNITED.
Blaming Uniteds problems on Continental (and v.v) is the problem. I'm not sure if ironic properly describes the scene, but still worth noting.
Sadly, mostly true - and ironic as well.

I think we, as a community, have identified JeffS as what ails United. The past doesn't matter; the CEO's had three years to get merge armies. A workable gameplan should have been worked out before the merger even happened. It wasn't. There have been zero, zilch, nada, problems that couldn't have been foreseen.
Time for a new management - as many have pointed out.

Arguably, the best article one can ever expect to read!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
Arguably, the best article one can ever expect to read!
Hey, careful, if we solve all the problems via a wiki strategy tool, what are all the new consultants gonna charge hours for?

(an interesting experiment idea, actually... crowd source a business turn around strategy and pay fewer consultants... :-)).
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Fair points. In reality however, UA could bring as many high rev business customers as it wanted, the pre merger airline was still not prepared for the future and not running a sustainable business model while CO was, at least to a point.
While in many ways it pains me to admit it, legacy UAL was indeed prepared to survive for the then foreseeable future. We can thank the divestment of their defined pension obligations to the PBGC, thousands of layoffs and furloughs, and Ch. 11 eliminating their debt obligations. Believe me, I'm fully aware of the human toll it took to get UAL to that position, and I would have advocated doing it in alternative ways, but I can't argue that Tilton's brute hammer approach got the company to the end of the tunnel. And I wasn't necessarily convinced it would at the time. I agree that the business model was not sustainable pre- Ch,11, but certainly not post-Ch.11.

P.S. was a last ditch effort to remain relevant in a market that AA basically invented (and then reinvented) more than a decade earlier with Flagship Service. Today's P.S. is by no means better than any other product offered on this route.
TED was an answer to Delta's Song (and maybe the US MetroJet to some extent), which at the time offered a superior onboard product, though regardless, all were miserable failures. The early 2000s branding overhaul was necessary to distance UA from its pre 9/11 battleship gray image, but unfortunately was executed too slowly and never fully realized before the merger anyway.
p.s. was the answer to the 767-200 retirements. In many ways, it was an "enhancement" marked by downgrades in onboard service quality. Yet, it seems to have worked.

Ted was an idiotic idea from McKinsey I believe. The bright side is it didn't cost much at all to create (or rollback).

The branding overhaul was fully completed by the time of the merger announcement. Type font had been changed for years prior. The award winning Fallon Worldwide "it's time to fly" spots started right after leaving Ch.11

I strongly disagree though that CO would have been squeezed to its demise had it not merged with UA. Post Kellner, Smisek would have I'm sure still been the little snake he is today along with his crew of misfits and ruined a once turned around airline, but CO was set up so well it's difficult to believe even an imbecile like Smisek could have screwed it up too royally. I would argue that instead Tilton would have run UA to its ultimate demise and DL, AA, and CO would have been left picking over the parts they wanted, likely the Pacific network more than anything else.
I completely fail to see how CO was just "set up so well". They had two hubs, tiny Narita/HKG/Heathrow/Frankfurt (tier one busness capital ops), and were going to be playing hardball against AMR, DAL, and UA/US had they intended to let their pride get in the way of making a deal to save the company. They would be a small airline who would be unable to compete for global busness contracts. They were screwed and Smisek and the BOD knew it. Kelner publicly embarrassed and shamed UAL so bad in 2008 after the first merger rebuff, that the UAL board wanted nothing to do with them ever again, and moved their eyes to US Airways. He can say how bad UAL's books were all he wanted, CO had serious stategic impediments in a post UA/US world.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
Hey, careful, if we solve all the problems via a wiki strategy tool, what are all the new consultants gonna charge hours for?
Cutting and pasting!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA million miler
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The fiefdoms are incredibly corrosive to the healthy corporate culture of the company.

But if you want a good road map of how ineffectively CO handled these kinds of problems you need look no further than the horrendous customer-service culture at their EWR station.

While many here on FT just chalk it up to the New Jersey mannerisms, the fact of the matter is that many other carriers operate major hubs in the NYC region and nowhere will you find the type of non-chalantly abusive behavior that permeates UA's EWR station.

Now, just to be clear, this is not the case with all the people who work at EWR, but the prevalence of wholly unacceptable customer service behavior at EWR is far beyond anything that ought to be considered acceptable.

You have to remember that EWR has always been something of a red-headed step-child at CO/UA, having been acquired from PeoplExpress in 1987.

Ever since then, CO senior management has always struggled with how to get things right at EWR.

Perhaps now, though, that there is so much unacceptable customer service at UA, system-wide, in a strange way, senior management has succeeded in aligning EWR with the rest of the company...
I find if you enter a situation ready for a fight, a fight is what you will get. However, if you're friendly and smile people will respond in kind.
People have always heard from the likes of this post that CS at EWR is atrocious...frankly I have not had a problem.
And I do not think for a moment if CO were given the opportunity to give away their EWR hub they would have done so. Ridiculous.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caljn
I find if you enter a situation ready for a fight, a fight is what you will get. However, if you're friendly and smile people will respond in kind.
People have always heard from the likes of this post that CS at EWR is atrocious...frankly I have not had a problem.
And I do not think for a moment if CO were given the opportunity to give away their EWR hub they would have done so. Ridiculous.
I can only speak for myself. I have been flying since the early 60's and through EWR since the mid 70's.

In a few million miles of flying I have never gotten into a fight with anybody, whether airline employee or otherwise.

Nevertheless, I have witnessed plenty of very antagonistic service behavior and at a far greater frequency at PMCO EWR than virtually anywhere else.

I can't tell you exactly what the reasons are, except that it was clear this was not the norm for most of the rest of the PMCO system.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
I have seen some of that at EWR, but more often, as a Platinum/1K, EWR staff has taken care of irrops and put me up when necessary. Maybe this is just anecdotal, but over the past 24 months, customer service, in my cases, has gotten much better, not worse. Taken care of irrops at ORD, IAD and IAH, and some United Club agents have really gone above and beyond. That so many others have had disastrously opposite experiences tells me there is work to be done. Time will tell whether UA, which has a fine route network and alliance, but post merger issues, will flourish or not, but for now, I am treated okay, up front most of the time, and have had decent in flight from FAs from both sides of the marriage.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
I have seen some of that at EWR, but more often, as a Platinum/1K, EWR staff has taken care of irrops and put me up when necessary. Maybe this is just anecdotal, but over the past 24 months, customer service, in my cases, has gotten much better, not worse. Taken care of irrops at ORD, IAD and IAH, and some United Club agents have really gone above and beyond. That so many others have had disastrously opposite experiences tells me there is work to be done. Time will tell whether UA, which has a fine route network and alliance, but post merger issues, will flourish or not, but for now, I am treated okay, up front most of the time, and have had decent in flight from FAs from both sides of the marriage.
I have never been 1k but that is great to read.

I think a big part of fixing things for the merged company, irrespective of the narrow issue of customer service at EWR, is getting the corporate culture to a happier, more professional energy that is healthier for the customers and the front-line employees.

A big part of that is creating a sense of belonging to one company ("United") and all involved working together to make it the best airline in America.

While people have a right to their private feelings and allegiances, every time an sCO employee goes out of his or her way to announce that the crew is "Continental" it is tantamount to dirty laundry being unnecessarily aired to the customer, and introducing the notion that something is not well at all within the company the passenger has just entrusted his/her money to, and even possibly his/her life to.

While management should immediately issue a directive to cut out this silly and corrosive practice (whether or not it's technically accurate, since the flight is sCO, is totally irrelevant) and line employees should also realize they are doing themselves a terrible disservice by engaging in this kind of puerile behavior.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I meant the 2 cabin 763s
(That is most of the 763 fleet.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.