FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Goose Island Beer & United? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1587894-goose-island-beer-united.html)

fjfv19 Aug 3, 2014 1:12 pm

Goose Island Beer & United?

Sometimes the FAs know about 312. Sometimes they don't. Either way, when they've been stocked, it has really been a fantastic addition to the rotation. Extremely pleased.

Shareholder Sep 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Finally caught a flight with 312 onboard. Must retract my earlier post...this is a very nice version of a weissen, at least for my tastes it doesn't have the sour taste of most beers of this style, so very drinkable. Since most onboard beers are mass market swill or the equally bland foreign imports, this one has character and I hope UA keeps it onboard. Mea culpa.

andrewwm Sep 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23571840)
Finally caught a flight with 312 onboard. Must retract my earlier post...this is a very nice version of a weissen, at least for my tastes it doesn't have the sour taste of most beers of this style, so very drinkable. Since most onboard beers are mass market swill or the equally bland foreign imports, this one has character and I hope UA keeps it onboard. Mea culpa.

In my travels in the past month, not many pax have been aware of its existence (more for me :p) but the FAs are all now pretty well aware of it and have been singing its praises. I hope that the uptake is high enough to justify keeping it. I'm definitely doing my part.

at least for my tastes it doesn't have the sour taste of most beers of this style
What weissens have you been drinking? :eek: There are certainly sour weissens but they are pretty hard to find unless you're a beer connoisseur. Almost all hefes and Belgian whites that you could find in a decent liquor store tend to have a wheaty fully body flavor, a little spice flavoring, some sweetness and little hops. There's almost no sourness at all (should be none in a hefe, maybe a very small amount in a white, unnoticeable unless you're really paying attention) unless you're having a cult-level beer.

UA-NYC Sep 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by andrewwm (Post 23571954)
In my travels in the past month, not many pax have been aware of its existence (more for me :p) but the FAs are all now pretty well aware of it and have been singing its praises. I hope that the uptake is high enough to justify keeping it. I'm definitely doing my part.

Agreed - it's one of the few things I've truly missed by flying on AA (and not UA) the past few months!

sanfran8080 Sep 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Great stuff that 312!!

jacobac00 Sep 23, 2014 10:57 pm

I've been able to snag it on all my recent flights in F. Of course that has only been three in the past two months. I'll still take both the beer and the UGs I've been able to find. :D

sanfran8080 Sep 24, 2014 9:48 am

I've learned that you have to call it "312" I asked for a Goose Island and they had no clue what I was talking about

UA-NYC Sep 24, 2014 9:52 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 23574616)
I've learned that you have to call it "312" I asked for a Goose Island and they had no clue what I was talking about

"Yellow can" ;)

cyclogenesis Sep 24, 2014 9:57 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23574636)
"Yellow can" ;)

^

I was on a flight where they thought for a minute they were out.. (ex MUC) fortunately they rustled up one..

Unfortunately it has raised the bar now for me :)

fjfv19 Sep 24, 2014 10:00 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23574636)
"Yellow can" ;)

YES. This. "Beer in Yellow Can" is my exact order.

I just wish they would carry more on board. They seem to be running out frequently, which I hope is a good sign actually that it is here to stay due to demand. If my GPU to Sydney clears, watch out forward cabin. Love this addition. ^

bluedog423 Sep 24, 2014 10:00 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 23574616)

Goose Island is the brewery - they make several beers. 312 is the beer itself. So, it'd be like asking for an InBev instead of a Bud Light. (They should have still known what you were talking about, though, since they only carry one Goose Island beer). Incidentally, for those non-Chicagoans who may not know the beer that well, it's THREE ONE TWO, not three twelve, three hundred twelve, etc. It's the area code of downtown Chicago.

Edit: I see how you're supposed to say it was covered earlier in the thread already.

cyclogenesis Sep 24, 2014 10:04 am

Dreaming of the day they carry more of the line.. Again, far from my favorite (Two Brother's, now there is a great Chicagoland small-mid sized brewery) but it would be amazing if UA could carry more of their mainstays like Honkers and Green line

Wickersley Sep 24, 2014 11:50 am

Another +1

This really is a "change I like"

^

mgcsinc Sep 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by bluedog423 (Post 23574678)
So, it'd be like asking for an InBev instead of a Bud Light.

Nah. Goose Island is not a mega-corporation like InBev. InBev does not brand their beers as coming from InBev; Goose Island does.

A much more apt analogy is asking for Sam Adams when you want the Boston Lager. Which people do all the time. Especially when it's the only Sam beer there.

auggie doggie Sep 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 23575281)
Nah. Goose Island is not a mega-corporation like InBev. InBev does not brand their beers as coming from InBev; Goose Island does.

A much more apt analogy is asking for Sam Adams when you want the Boston Lager. Which people do all the time. Especially when it's the only Sam beer there.

Goose Island is owned by Anheuser Busch InBev.