FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Goose Island Beer & United? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1587894-goose-island-beer-united.html)

Shareholder Jul 3, 2014 2:31 pm

Now that I've discovered this is a wheat beer my excitement is deflated...hate wheat beers. Why not a good Pale Ale with hops rather than an insipid acidic foggy swill that wheat beers are? Didn't UA carry Leininkugel wheat for a while a few years back? Here's hoping the person who made the choice gets laid off in the next round of downsizing and there's a real beer aficionado somewhere in the company who knows what's gaining popularity among craft beer drinkers. Even Honkers would be better than another wheat beer! Even a Shiner Bock would be better!!

mattp1987 Jul 3, 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23139052)
Now that I've discovered this is a wheat beer my excitement is deflated...hate wheat beers. Why not a good Pale Ale with hops rather than an insipid acidic foggy swill that wheat beers are? Didn't UA carry Leininkugel wheat for a while a few years back? Here's hoping the person who made the choice gets laid off in the next round of downsizing and there's a real beer aficionado somewhere in the company who knows what's gaining popularity among craft beer drinkers. Even Honkers would be better than another wheat beer! Even a Shiner Bock would be better!!

Have you tried real German Hefeweizens? I don't really care for many American wheat beers, but I do like a good Bavarian Hefeweizen or a good replica thereof. Additionally, most craft beer drinkers I know don't drink AB/InBev products. Agreed, Shiner would be better than Goose Island (and represent the IAH hub to some extent).

raehl311 Jul 3, 2014 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 (Post 23139340)
Have you tried real German Hefeweizens? I don't really care for many American wheat beers, but I do like a good Bavarian Hefeweizen or a good replica thereof. Additionally, most craft beer drinkers I know don't drink AB/InBev products. Agreed, Shiner would be better than Goose Island (and represent the IAH hub to some extent).

Shiner Hefeweizen is the only truly bad Hefeweizen I have ever had. Undrinkably bad.

mattp1987 Jul 3, 2014 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 23139384)
Shiner Hefeweizen is the only truly bad Hefeweizen I have ever had. Undrinkably bad.

Never tried it. I do travel to TX occasionally for work. I'll be sure to avoid it.

Shareholder Jul 3, 2014 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 (Post 23139340)

I've done some Helles and Alts and Kolschs and a few German wheats, but I still can't get my taste buds around this style of any origin. Let's face it...we all have our style favourites and those we can't abide. I'm not much into Belgians either...the beers not the people. Maybe UA will have a seasonal rotation of their beers.

raehl311 Jul 6, 2014 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23140193)
I've done some Helles and Alts and Kolschs and a few German wheats, but I still can't get my taste buds around this style of any origin. Let's face it...we all have our style favourites and those we can't abide. I'm not much into Belgians either...the beers not the people. Maybe UA will have a seasonal rotation of their beers.

I'm also not a fan of Belgian wheats, but really like (most) German Hefeweizens (Paulaner, Hacker-Pshorr, but not so much Franciskaner or Ayinger)... and I'm OK with the American Widmer or Pyramid Hefeweizens. The 312, while a wheat beer, is a different flavor profile than all of those and I would say more along the lines of a cross between a Hefeweizen and a lager... a little more bitter... so if you don't GENERALLY like wheat beers (and you especially don't like the Belgian wheats), you should still give the 312 a try. It's certainly going to do you better than a macro brew, and I think comes out of the can better than a Heineken.

EWR764 Jul 6, 2014 4:15 pm

It's better than Heineken. Had one today... at altitude, definitely not as flavorful as on the ground, but still a nice option.

UA-NYC Jul 23, 2014 6:03 pm

One small shining star...

...amid a sea of mediocrity (on a good day).

Yes, the UA product sucks immensely these days, operations are sub-par, the leadership pisses on loyalty, employees hate their "leaders", etc. But at least there's this one tiny, yet symbolic (and very rare) actual enhancement to the flying experience - a solid beer.

Have had one three days in a row, three flights in a row, and while no hoppy IPA, it's a great way to start the flight.

(Now back to our regularly scheduled airline bashing :D)

danhunterpost Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23139052)
Here's hoping the person who made the choice gets laid off in the next round of downsizing and there's a real beer aficionado somewhere in the company who knows what's gaining popularity among craft beer drinkers.

As funny as you might be trying to be, hoping someone loses their job over a beer you don't like? Come on, give me a break. Grow up and act like you are of age to drink a beer.

mgcsinc Jul 23, 2014 6:38 pm

I've had the beer a few times and I like it. It was fun teaching FAs that it exists. I got one frozen one, though. :eek:

Originally Posted by danhunterpost (Post 23246322)
As funny as you might be trying to be, hoping someone loses their job over a beer you don't like? Come on, give me a break. Grow up and act like you are of age to drink a beer.

Understanding the humor and value in hyperbole takes maturity, too

danhunterpost Jul 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 23246474)
Understanding the humor and value in hyperbole takes maturity, too

I'm sure it takes a great deal of maturity to understand humor that degrades someone that chooses a beer that you don't like. Good for you.

mgcsinc Jul 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by danhunterpost (Post 23246504)
I'm sure it takes a great deal of maturity to understand humor that degrades someone that chooses a beer that you don't like. Good for you.

You are taking a post in an internet thread about beer about 1,000 notches too seriously.

Boraxo Jul 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Goose Island Beer & United?

Excellent news - missed this thread and was pleasantly surprised to find 312 on my last flight. Good choice as Wheat beers are increasingly popular with the public.

The first change that Jeffy has made for the better since the merger

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jul 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 23129629)
...Shiner is so bad...

To each, his own...

Shiner Bock is one of the few things about Texas I miss since moving home after 30 years there. The other Shiner beers are pretty average, but don't belittle my Bock.

312 is a fine addition. You're not going to get a cult beer(s) on UA.

channa Jul 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 23129629)
...Shiner is so bad...

To each, his own...

Shiner Bock is one of the few things about Texas I miss since moving home after 30 years there.

312 is a fine addition. You're not going to get a cult beer(s) on UA.

Exactly. There are probably holes in the distribution with 312 as it is.

I doubt all domestic catering stations can get it.