FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Goose Island Beer & United? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1587894-goose-island-beer-united.html)

EWR764 Jun 6, 2015 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer (Post 24617256)
Considering that a few months ago UA started offering Devil's Cut, a new bourbon from Jim Beam, and also the current speculation over some sort of marketing agreement in the works for hot beverage offerings, I'm beginning to think that UA may be turning inflight catering into a (revenue generating?) platform for new product placement:

Offer a new beer that Goose Island wants to push, like the 312 currently and soon the Goose IPA, instead of something that many of us already know quite well, like Honker's Ale. Then 6 months later, switch to another Goose Island beer. All the while, UA exacts a discount from Goose Island, and still makes good on the promise of $2B in savings. Brilliant, if this turns out to be the case, but the changes nevertheless are very different and very welcomed from the blah-ness that had prevailed since the merger.

I for one would not object to something like that... a true win-win for the company and pax, but the sacrifice, I suppose, is some consistency over time as the agreements expire and we lose products we actually like.

UA-NYC Jun 6, 2015 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 24928760)
Most flights already have the IPA. It is a medium hoppy fairly fruity IPA as far as IPAs go. For my taste, and I like flavorful beer, it is about a million tiimes better than the wheat beer.

Heartily concur ^

The 312 is fine but isn't a pure wheat beer either

PsiFighter37 Jun 6, 2015 1:52 pm

For Goose Island, IPA > 312 most definitely (IMO). That said, I definitely think the beer's flavor has changed a bit since I first had it several years back - not as strong as it used to be.

As for getting it on the plane - imagine most of the planes stock it now, but when I flew MCO-EWR last month, it took a bit of time for them to scrounge up a can for me, but they eventually found one (they made it sound like there were not many catered onto the plane). I think they had to go back to the galley in Y to find one to bring up to F.

riphamilton Jun 6, 2015 2:10 pm

i haven't flown UA since early april. is 312 now extinct in favor of the IPA, or is it still being catered?

JBord Jun 6, 2015 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 24929416)
For Goose Island, IPA > 312 most definitely (IMO). That said, I definitely think the beer's flavor has changed a bit since I first had it several years back - not as strong as it used to be.

As for getting it on the plane - imagine most of the planes stock it now, but when I flew MCO-EWR last month, it took a bit of time for them to scrounge up a can for me, but they eventually found one (they made it sound like there were not many catered onto the plane). I think they had to go back to the galley in Y to find one to bring up to F.

There aren't many catered. Probably half the time I order one they have to get it from the back.

sinoflyer Jun 6, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 24929486)
i haven't flown UA since early april. is 312 now extinct in favor of the IPA, or is it still being catered?

312 is completely replaced. There may be remnant cans here and there, but I wouldn't expect to see it anymore.

I personally don't mind that 312 is gone, but that's because overall, I would like to see periodic changes in the "premium" beer choices. I will get tired of the IPA soon enough. For now, this is an opportunity for me to try new things, knowing that on terra firma I don't typically order hoppy beers given that other choices abound.

BigJC Jun 6, 2015 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 24929486)

It was 312 and no IPA on UA374 this afternoon ORD-IAH.

fjfv19 Jun 6, 2015 3:20 pm

Goose Island Beer & United?

Oddly enough, on my recent DEN-EWR, they had both 312 and the IPA. I had both in flight, love this partnership.

CruiserCLE Jun 6, 2015 4:22 pm

Does anyone know if the 312 in the clubs will eventually change? I like both the 312 and the IPA so I'm happy either way but wasn't sure if the clubs were going to be updated to the IPA. In the past few weeks, the MCO and CLE clubs still had the 312.

BigJC Jun 6, 2015 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 24929920)
Does anyone know if the 312 in the clubs will eventually change? I like both the 312 and the IPA so I'm happy either way but wasn't sure if the clubs were going to be updated to the IPA. In the past few weeks, the MCO and CLE clubs still had the 312.

ORD F Club was serving Honkers Ale as of last weekend...

SilverElite Jun 6, 2015 6:06 pm

Goose Island Beer & United?

The Goose Island IPA is a nice addition. Fairly hoppy and more rich compared to the 312 Wheat Style beer, which was much lighter.

PsiFighter37 Jun 6, 2015 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 24929920)

I think it depends what club you're in (or perhaps the policy has changed), but I was under the impression UA sourced local crafts for its 'premium' beer selection. I've had Goose in ORD, Sam Adams in EWR, and Speakeasy (by far my favorite) in SFO.

intractable Jun 6, 2015 9:46 pm

Heineken, Goose Island, and Bud were the options on UA257 JFK-SFO p.s. a few days back.

gobluetwo Jun 7, 2015 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 24930216)
I think it depends what club you're in (or perhaps the policy has changed), but I was under the impression UA sourced local crafts for its 'premium' beer selection. I've had Goose in ORD, Sam Adams in EWR, and Speakeasy (by far my favorite) in SFO.

In the clubs, it's local-ish. Goose Island is prevalent, with Sam Adams in the NE, Texas clubs getting Shiner Bock (iirc), Speakeasy at SFO. Not sure about the others, since I haven't been anywhere else recently.

nnn Jun 7, 2015 4:59 pm

My flight has IPA but no 312. Unfortunate change for me -- I don't care for hoppy beers, though I'm drinking the IPA now and it isn't super hoppy.