FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Goose Island Beer & United? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1587894-goose-island-beer-united.html)

QBK Jun 14, 2015 7:03 pm

I like to think that I'm as cynical as the next guy about United (okay, unless the next guy is channa), but UA really has implemented a bunch of changes that I like recently (remember when that phrase used to be strictly bitter and ironic?).

And the Goose IPA is definitely one of them. No, it's not fantastic. IPAs are my thing, and Goose doesn't make my top 20 list, or even my top 50. But it's a heck of a lot better than Heineken! It's the difference between "I'd like to have a beer" and "There is nothing on this plane that I'm willing to drink." And it's been on every flight I've taken in the past month.

I do sympathize with the posters (and flyers in general!) who just don't like IPAs. If UA had started stocking a decent porter or hefe instead, I'd feel the same kind of disappointed. But, ya know, it's a pretty inoffensive IPA. A good compromise between the hopheads (me) and the rest.

So, well done, UA!

PV_Premier Jun 14, 2015 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 24939885)
I like a porter but I don't think porters or stouts would be popular enough to justify carrying them on the plane.

WN had Leinenkugel's Vanilla Porter as their seasonal earlier this year

AS/QX routinely offer stouts and porters on their flights in the fall and winter

I have to say, UA's attempt at "craft beer" is much better than DL's (Blue Moon). This is perhaps the one and only area in which UA has somehow managed to outclass DL.

UA-NYC Jun 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 24970423)
I have to say, UA's attempt at "craft beer" is much better than DL's (Blue Moon). This is perhaps the one and only area in which UA has somehow managed to outclass DL.

DL is apparently adding in Sweetwater, which is a big ^

PV_Premier Jun 14, 2015 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 24970504)
DL is apparently adding in Sweetwater, which is a big ^

To all markets? They already have it in select markets exATL. They also have some other specialty selections exNYC and a few other places IIRC.

UA-NYC Jun 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 24970506)
To all markets? They already have it in select markets exATL. They also have some other specialty selections exNYC and a few other places IIRC.

Dunno, just saw it mentioned in their latest F&B improvements thread

DCA writer Feb 20, 2016 7:39 am

One of the flight attendants on last night's IAD-BRU flight kept calling Goose Island "Goose Bay." She said that name was easy to remember: "I once diverted there."

PsiFighter37 Mar 27, 2016 3:28 am

Have to say that I was disappointed in the catering for Goose IPA on the trip I am currently completing. I had one on EWR-NRT before they ran out, and they had none on NRT-EWR (although they did have Asahi instead...poor substitute). It kind of makes me wonder why they can't effectively cater this, given that Goose is now owned by Budweiser and should have much wider / better distribution capabilities.

Incidentally, the Sam Adams seasonal beers were not mentioned on either flight, so I assume they were not catered at all.

fumje Mar 27, 2016 6:17 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 26392789)
Have to say that I was disappointed in the catering for Goose IPA on the trip I am currently completing. I had one on EWR-NRT before they ran out, and they had none on NRT-EWR (although they did have Asahi instead...poor substitute). It kind of makes me wonder why they can't effectively cater this, given that Goose is now owned by Budweiser and should have much wider / better distribution capabilities.

Incidentally, the Sam Adams seasonal beers were not mentioned on either flight, so I assume they were not catered at all.

Yeah, they seem to run out on over-water flights, and I imagine they'd have to double-cater to have any on US-inbound flights.

I thought the Sam Adams seasonal was only for the winter. It was nice to have another passable beer offering, but it seems like the Winter Lager went away in Feb. some time and nothing replaced it. I'd certainly appreciate a new seasonal.

riphamilton Mar 27, 2016 8:45 am

I had one on EWR-NRT before they ran out, and they had none on NRT-EWR (although they did have Asahi instead...poor substitute).

when flying ex-NRT, which isn't often, i treasure the catered asahi as it's brewed in japan and not at the molson plant in canada. even at altitude, i think the taste difference is rather obvious.

transportprof Mar 27, 2016 10:36 am

Last week, I was on a UX flight SFO-YVR, There was one can of IPA on the aircraft, and two people in the front cabin requested a Goose. So we both got half a can of beer!

PV_Premier Mar 27, 2016 10:48 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 26393960)
Last week, I was on a UX flight SFO-YVR, There was one can of IPA on the aircraft, and two people in the front cabin requested a Goose. So we both got half a can of beer!

now that's first class :rolleyes:

ito717 Mar 27, 2016 1:19 pm

In my experience, UX in F always gives only the glass of beer and they keep the can. Always found this really annoying - now I know why they do it!

fumje Mar 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ito717 (Post 26394617)
In my experience, UX in F always gives only the glass of beer and they keep the can. Always found this really annoying - now I know why they do it!

I think I've only once received only the glass and not the can, even for PDB. Sometimes they pour such that the glass is 50% head, in which case they could be splitting the can four ways if they did just the glass!

ito717 Mar 27, 2016 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 26394715)
I think I've only once received only the glass and not the can, even for PDB. Sometimes they pour such that the glass is 50% head, in which case they could be splitting the can four ways if they did just the glass!

The omission of the can must be intentional - strange that it seems to be consistent across all UX, but on mainline, I always get the whole can with some poured into the glass already.

Could it really be trying to make the supply go further?

aau Mar 27, 2016 6:12 pm

This nonsense is only in F right? If I had paid for a beer I would never accept anything less than the whole can.