FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Goose Island Beer & United? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1587894-goose-island-beer-united.html)

PV_Premier Jun 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bookexp (Post 23107573)
It comes with a ticket for Tampa Bay Rays...

hey now... no need for the low blow this year... :p:D

kirkwoodj Jun 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 23084790)
I ask for a premium beer every survey I fill out. I DO hope tney are listening.

Good idea, I'll hafta start doing that! ^

astroflyer Jun 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly (Post 23108334)
I am curious, what do they charge for the same beer at Goose Island @ ORD?

IIRC from my last visit, that price is pretty similar to what they charge for almost all the beers. They also usually have many of their microbrews on tap. Food is pretty mediocre there, and the staff is surly, but I'm there for the beer.

As far as beer in United hubs goes, New Belgium in DEN is my personal favorite. They often have some rather unusual beers on tap there.

Mrtrash757 Jun 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Woot beer! Sounds great but still not one of my favorites ;)

mattp1987 Jun 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer (Post 23112459)
IIRC from my last visit, that price is pretty similar to what they charge for almost all the beers. They also usually have many of their microbrews on tap. Food is pretty mediocre there, and the staff is surly, but I'm there for the beer.

As far as beer in United hubs goes, New Belgium in DEN is my personal favorite. They often have some rather unusual beers on tap there.

DEN has quite a few good options. There's also Rock Bottom (I know it's a chain but it started in Denver) and Boulder Beer.

As a DL flyer I'm hoping they will follow suit and extend the Sweetwater offerings to all flights. Right now it's only offered on ATL-LGA flights, but I hope that's a trial for rolling it out system-wide.

tyroner Jun 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 (Post 23117227)
DEN has quite a few good options. There's also Rock Bottom (I know it's a chain but it started in Denver) and Boulder Beer.

As a DL flyer I'm hoping they will follow suit and extend the Sweetwater offerings to all flights. Right now it's only offered on ATL-LGA flights, but I hope that's a trial for rolling it out system-wide.

Well DL has a hub here in Detroit and given the excellent state of MI beer, why not give Goose Island some other midwest competition.... I would think Bells 'Oberon' in the summer and 'Two Hearted' in winter.

mattp1987 Jun 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by tyroner (Post 23117367)
Well DL has a hub here in Detroit and given the excellent state of MI beer, why not give Goose Island some other midwest competition.... I would think Bells 'Oberon' in the summer and 'Two Hearted' in winter.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I'd love it if Delta partnered with Bells. Those two are each near the top of my list in their respective styles.

Boraxo Jun 30, 2014 12:10 am

If true best news from UA catering in many years. :)

UA Insider Jun 30, 2014 10:00 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 23106248)
So just occurred to me. Our drink chits (looking at it now) says "not redeemable on premium beverages." Does this mean that we can't use our drink chits at all, or that it's a drink chit + $3, or we get it for free?

Hi gobluetwo, you can absolutely use the drink chits you receive with your Premier credentials, to purchase a 312 beer on board. The exclusions apply to other beverages, such as the 375ml wine splits we offer in United Economy on transatlantic and some transcontinental markets.

-UA Insider

exerda Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 23119857)
Hi gobluetwo, you can absolutely use the drink chits you receive with your Premier credentials, to purchase a 312 beer on board. The exclusions apply to other beverages, such as the 375ml wine splits we offer in United Economy on transatlantic and some transcontinental markets.

-UA Insider

Good to hear! ^

woody1173 Jul 1, 2014 4:29 pm

Goose Island Beer & United?

Enjoying 312 pre-dep on 1479 LAS-DEN right now. F/A offered a "new beer" in F, couldn't remember the name. I was able to fill in the blank.

JBord Jul 1, 2014 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by tyroner (Post 23117367)

+1. Excellent suggestion. Nothing better than an Oberon on a warm summer night in the beer garden.

N1120A Jul 2, 2014 2:52 am

Maine needs a hometown airline, so we can get Allagash.

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 23084759)
This is my take, if the rumor is true. Nearly anything is better than current. Goose 312 would be an improvement, but I would consider it probably the lowest level of microbrews, even just in Chicago.

Not a micro. GI is craft.

Originally Posted by 318i (Post 23085321)
Confirmed... 312 on sUA planes, Shiner on sCO.

Shiner is so bad.

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23085598)
Yes, invited but unfortunately not able to be in Chicago on Friday.

Goose Island pale is already available in the ORD UCs, albeit as a premium purchase. It would be great to find it onboard as well as THE on tap offering in all lounges without charge east of the Mississippi and Shiner west. Though never tried the 312. I recall we had Shiner at the two SMDs where we dined in the CO hangers.

"Premium."

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23085617)
Yes, Heineken isn't an InBev brew. Stella Artois is their big Euro/international beer so that could be the new import.

Heineken owns itself (along with a bunch of other stuff).

Originally Posted by astroflyer (Post 23087375)
Microbrewery or not, it's still a big step up.
Rumor has it that they plan to introduce "versions" of this beer in other markets where the area code is updated from 312 to the local area code without changing the product. Clever, huh?

Definitely not a micro.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 23089742)
Sam Adams makes cans, too, though they're still independent.

http://samueladams.s3.amazonaws.com/...ba36eba137.png

That got them back on to JetBlue flights after an absence directly attributed to lack of cans.

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 23090851)
That they do and AA carries said cans

And this would, honestly, be better than 312.

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 23094801)
I have a feeling, in F the 312s will run out pretty quickly, but in Y most people won't bite. $7 for 12oz of cerveza is rather steep and makes the bar prices look cheap.

I am sure after the first service in Y, the FAs will grab the 312s if someone in F wants more.

I'm sure they will.

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 23105363)
Hi everyone,

You guessed it, we will begin serving Goose Island 312 on all flights worldwide beginning July 1. We will also extend 312's availability to United Clubs in the continental United States, as a $3 craft option. Please see our press release below for more information.

http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalhol...h-Goose-Island

-UA Insider

I would hope that this doesn't mean the local beers, like Sierra Nevada at LAX/SFO/LAS, disappear. Further, good beer should still be free.

UAGLOBAL Jul 2, 2014 1:22 pm

Anyone know if 312 is being served in bottles or cans? Hopefully UA is taking a page out of the LH playbook and using the bottle

mgcsinc Jul 2, 2014 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL (Post 23132446)
Anyone know if 312 is being served in bottles or cans? Hopefully UA is taking a page out of the LH playbook and using the bottle

As discussed above, the myth of bottle superiority is kinda dead.