Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-MSP going RJ?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 12:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'll take your 2c and raise you 1¢. This is likely to drive high value flyers to fly DL via SEA for their Asia travels.
I'll raise again and just say any UA tpac travelers from MSP may just take the NRT delta flight.

I've lost most of my faith in UA as a MSP teaveler. It cracks me up that UA touts the MSP-LAX flight. It's 1500 miles on a cr7! I am going to las vegas in a few weeks and was going to book UA, but wanted to fly through IAH, but since they only offered LAX as a connection DL got my first class fare.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
It is most certainly a downgrade in terms of passenger comfort and aircraft amenities, but an upgrade in schedule. If UA cared to compete, they could probably run 2 A319s and be fine, but we all know UA won't do that. But, by doing this, they can spin it as an enhancement and cut costs by reducing aircraft amenities and costs by contracting to a regional airline, and most outside of FT won't realize that this is helping UA cut costs.

I suppose at some point all USA domestic and Canada/Mexico will be RJs and we will have only international flights as mainline.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Any idea where UA will put the 319(s) taken off this route? Logic would say it has to go somewhere. Then again, this is the new UA we are talking about...
Old May 17, 2014, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by fly18725
The E-175s haven't gone into service yet. It's tough to question an opinion based on the absence of information.
I hear what you're saying. But it would be a pretty weird regional product to only offer food on certain aircraft, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for any kind of improvements. But if I could ask Jeff one thing, I would ask why he doesn't compete on soft product.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
I hear what you're saying. But it would be a pretty weird regional product to only offer food on certain aircraft, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for any kind of improvements. But if I could ask Jeff one thing, I would ask why he doesn't compete on soft product.
Not really, when you realize that the service level on the E-170s and CRJ-700s is determined by the galley configuration. At the time those planes went into service, they were the first 2-class RJs in the U.S. Since UAL doesn't own the E-170s or CRJ-700s (unlike the 175s), it isn't as easy to make the logistical and contractual updates to support meal service. Since all of the regional airlines are hurting financial with a dim outlook, I'd hope UAL would use its leverage to bring the product up to current standards.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
Any idea where UA will put the 319(s) taken off this route? Logic would say it has to go somewhere. Then again, this is the new UA we are talking about...
A 16th SFO-ORD.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'll take your 2c and raise you 1¢. This is likely to drive high value flyers to fly DL via SEA for their Asia travels.
Perhaps ironically I woke up this morning in a hotel in Seattle and am en route back to SIN via sfo and nrt on UA right now.

If you look through my posts, I'm in no way a UA sympathizer these days (it's been a brutal few years), but I call it like I see it in this case. I welcomed the UA service to sfo when it began, and I would have been more likely to fly it with two flights than the original one, even with downguage. It's a simple timing thing.

That said, I'll concede I (thank god) don't need to do nearly as many transpacs as I did the last few years, and I never fly msp to sfo anymore (though it was quite frequent in the past on both). I may be out of touch.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
The E-175s haven't gone into service yet. It's tough to question an opinion based on the absence of information.
Service started today.

Not really, when you realize that the service level on the E-170s and CRJ-700s is determined by the galley configuration.
Which, when delivered, were built to UA's cabin specs, regardless of who owned them.

Since UAL doesn't own the E-170s or CRJ-700s (unlike the 175s), it isn't as easy to make the logistical and contractual updates to support meal service.
However, those planes were still built to UA cabin specs, or converted, if they weren't. In this case, UA would have to be willing to spend the money, and ease the schedule enough to allow conversions to occur. It's not all that hard to allow for service with cold meals; everything that's required to do it is already there. As for WiFi, it takes a little bit of work, but no more work than if the plane had just rolled out of the factory.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
First they will send it off to have slimlines installed and all the IFE pulled out.

Then once it's dark, they'll put it on transcons, most likely SFO-BOS.

Old May 17, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DXjr
Service started today.

Which, when delivered, were built to UA's cabin specs, regardless of who owned them.

However, those planes were still built to UA cabin specs, or converted, if they weren't. In this case, UA would have to be willing to spend the money, and ease the schedule enough to allow conversions to occur. It's not all that hard to allow for service with cold meals; everything that's required to do it is already there. As for WiFi, it takes a little bit of work, but no more work than if the plane had just rolled out of the factory.
Don't confuse him with facts. I don't know why he is even bothering suggesting that new E-175s will have meal service (vs. Snack Box), we all know that an airline that launches "project quality" will certainly give snack boxes...

And its amazing the SkyWest (same carrier that flies for UAL) manages to have wi-fi, and real meals for DAL's flights...

Originally Posted by Kacee
First they will send it off to have slimlines installed and all the IFE pulled out.

Then once it's dark, they'll put it on transcons, most likely SFO-BOS.
Hey the the new "dark" planes are Jeff's secret weapon vs. VX.

I do recall that when the new SFO-MSP flight was announced, the defenders all claimed it was an example of how UAL DOES COMPETE, and how it being mainline showed that everyone was wrong... Hmmmm....
Old May 17, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

If they don't plan to feed premium customers a proper meal, I'll fly Delta. Simple as that.

I wonder if enough ex-SFO goes RJ, if hub captivity will soon not mean as much
Old May 17, 2014, 7:08 pm

If they don't plan to feed premium customers a proper meal, I'll fly Delta. Simple as that.

For this route, DL certainly makes good sense.

I would look at price, and my schedule, and would likely pick DL more often than not.

UA's second frequency increases the odds that they would win my business.

Food? All I hear on here is complaints about UA's catering. And now it is a deal breaker on choosing UA or not?

With the range these aircraft have, I do not understand why UA would not configure them capable of at least serving a cold platter in F, and fresh BoB in Y.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

I would look at price, and my schedule, and would likely pick DL more often than not.

Food? All I hear on here is complaints about UA's catering. And now it is a deal breaker on choosing UA or not?

With the range these aircraft have, I do not understand why UA would not configure them capable of at least serving a cold platter in F, and fresh BoB in Y.
Did I miss something? Is United Airlines starting a 2nd service??
Old May 17, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Its a dealbreaker for me now when it comes to paid F (which I do mainly on SFO-MSP route)- definitely. Mainline was barely tolerable.

As far as Y class though, I'd probably as you said go w/ the cheaper one.
Though atleast on DL I could use wifi ....

I honestly wouldn't kvetch about the RJs if F was a proper F cabin service.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:21 pm

Service started today.
What type of meal service is offered in F?

I don't think the CRJ-700s, at least for SkyWest were ordered in UAL's spec, but that's not really the point. When ExPlus was introduced, F in a regional jet was market leading and there probably wasn't thought about what type of service might be required decades into the future.

Yes, you don't need an oven for cold meals. But if you want to have true F class service, you need to have sufficient cart space to store glass wear, meal trays, etc. My understanding is that the CRJ-700 galleys don't have that right now.

Originally Posted by spin88
Don't confuse him with facts. I don't know why he is even bothering suggesting that new E-175s will have meal service (vs. Snack Box), we all know that an airline that launches "project quality" will certainly give snack boxes…
I never suggested the E-175s will have meal service - I simply said we shouldn't assume they won't when they hadn't gone into service. Now that they have, we can collect facts and make an informed decision.

Originally Posted by spin88
And its amazing the SkyWest (same carrier that flies for UAL) manages to have wi-fi, and real meals for DAL's flights…
Money can buy anything, well, most anything…

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Did I miss something? Is United Airlines starting a 2nd service??
I think that was one of the main takeaways from this thread: SFO-MSP is shifting from 1x A319 to 2x E-175.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.