Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-MSP going RJ?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
So by extension, you would advocate for an E75 on every route with 30 minute frequency?
Thank you for more noise.

Very helpful to the discussion.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:27 am

e175 info

Remember that most people fly coach and the frequency and seating will be much better. Do we know what the galley status is on the new aircraft. We will need a trip report on the new trips that start on tuesday.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by trk1
Remember that most people fly coach and the frequency and seating will be much better. Do we know what the galley status is on the new aircraft. We will need a trip report on the new trips that start on tuesday.
Yes, its a downgrade, and when weather hits, this flight will now be cancelled. I expect this route to be gone by next year. People will get cancelled delayed and will fly DL.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If they deliver the E75s with the new hardwood slimlines I flew in a CR7 a couple weeks ago (any idea?), it will be a MISERABLE ride.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I have flown Air Canada's, again it's a downgrade. No wifi, no food, run out of liquor, and contracted service on a 3+ hour flight.

Also, it is not always 2 daily. Another ,think, didn't UA tell us these aircraft would "upgrade" smaller Express flights. Nope, all they are going to do is add another daily to either ORD, IAH or EWR. That's it.

You are trying to spin this, but the 175's were meant to upgrade smaller express not downgrade.
Have we heard whether the E-175s will have wifi and the same galley set-up as E-170s?

How many non-holiday weekdays have only 1 flight?
Old May 17, 2014, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jasondc
Delta also happens to have a large hub in msp. Very large hub. That's how they fill 6 flights. Ua's sfo hub is much smaller and this flight is primarily geared towards the sfo- based o/d traveler
What a load of garbage.

SFO is a much bigger airport (21 million boardings vs. 15 million for MSP in 2012).

UA has somewhere around 50% of SFO's traffic. DL has approximately 75% of MSP's traffic. Do the math and you will discover that UA@SFO=DL@MSP.

The difference isn't the size of the hubs, it's the two carriers' relative competitive strategies. DL is willing to compete in OAL hubs, UA is not.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The difference isn't the size of the hubs, it's the two carriers' relative competitive strategies. DL is willing to compete in OAL hubs, UA is not.
I think its a little more than that. DL is competing for SFO-MSP-Midwest/Northeast connections. UAL is mostly carrying O&D, with some intra-California connections. UAL's Midwest/Northeast connections are routed over ORD, or EWR.

How many SFO-CHI and SFO-NYC does DL have compared to UAL?
Old May 17, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Originally Posted by hobo13
UA's strategy on competitive routes:

Downguage!
Have you flown an E175 yet?

In this case, I think increased frequency, on the biggest 'small' RJ, with increased F availability, is an improvement.

However, UA does need to add a meal in F (and have the fresh BoB items in in Y) on their 175's, especially on these longer flights.
An improvement in comfortability. Definitely-- Not necessarily an improvement when the plane is IFE-less and meal-less in paid F.

While this route remains an RJ, I will be taking paid F business to Delta. 1K status be damned, since it really does me no good anymore anyway...
Old May 17, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
On the surface, the E175 is not bad - except maybe the lack of an F meal.

However, the downgrade speaks volumes. The current United management cannot seem to understand anything but a fortress hub as in IAH and EWR. (I know, both are debatable with WN at HOU and others at LGA and JFK.)

Their strategy at ORD, SFO, DEN, and LAX is to cede flights to other airline's hubs to the other airlines. This is especially confusing when other airlines - at least occasionally - fly mainline aircraft into UA hubs.

In an individual case this might be OK, but across the board.....
Old May 17, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Actually the schedule change is an improvement:

goes from 1 319 daily to 2 E-175 Daily (Msp-Sfo) 7:30am and 5:00pm
and allows morning and evening service

seat count goes from 120 to 152

all coaches seats are 2 and 2
first class goes from 8 to 24 seats
175s may have food

this is really a comfortable plane with more frequency

Flyer talk continues with all negative but never good news
Despite the detractors, I actually agree that this is an improvement. I don't live in MSP anymore, but remember clearly not that long ago that United had no nonstop service to MSP. Personally, were I still flying that route frequently, morning and evening options would be very welcome, and I'd even take a 175 (assuming an upgrade, which I almost always got anyway, but will be easier with more total seats).

It's my 2c...
Old May 17, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by paulyras
Actually the schedule change is an improvement:

goes from 1 319 daily to 2 E-175 Daily (Msp-Sfo) 7:30am and 5:00pm
and allows morning and evening service

seat count goes from 120 to 152

all coaches seats are 2 and 2
first class goes from 8 to 24 seats
175s may have food

this is really a comfortable plane with more frequency

Flyer talk continues with all negative but never good news
Despite the detractors, I actually agree that this is an improvement. I don't live in MSP anymore, but remember clearly not that long ago that United had no nonstop service to MSP. Personally, were I still flying that route frequently, morning and evening options would be very welcome, and I'd even take a 175 (assuming an upgrade, which I almost always got anyway, but will be easier with more total seats).

It's my 2c...
Upgrades on this route were near impossible so I ended up buying F fares since the merger. I will do so no longer because 4 hours without a meal is totally unacceptable for a premium cabin.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by demkr

Upgrades on this route were near impossible so I ended up buying F fares since the merger. I will do so no longer because 4 hours without a meal is totally unacceptable for a premium cabin.
Has it been confirmed that the E-175s will not be equipped to serve meals?
Old May 17, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly18725

Has it been confirmed that the E-175s will not be equipped to serve meals?
The website says "United Express flights over 700+ miles" get a snackbox etc. No exception on there noted for 175s.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by paulyras

It's my 2c...
I'll take your 2c and raise you 1¢. This is likely to drive high value flyers to fly DL via SEA for their Asia travels.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:39 pm

The website says "United Express flights over 700+ miles" get a snackbox etc. No exception on there noted for 175s.
The E-175s haven't gone into service yet. It's tough to question an opinion based on the absence of information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.