Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-MSP going RJ?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by unavaca
Hipmunk does when offering A319 and A320 options on UA.
Hipmunk does that because the know UA is done with 319/320 WiFi installations.

But on a 737, they can't tell you.

Just like they can't tell you if there's a PTV on a 737 or 753.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Originally Posted by 787fan
All of that is marketing material ... You actually make purchase decisions based on web based brochures ?
My United Flight was cancelled last night---RJ--from STL-ORD--had to stay the night and was rebooked on Delta First--STL-ATL-PHL. Just getting on in ATL.

Great service, drinks before flight, snack to ATL, seat was great as the tray table is built to sit above your lap--nice and the recline was impressive. This seat rocks and is so much better than the new first seat! One cool thing--when you come out of the gate in ATL--there is a dedicated screen for your flight with connections showing you what gate you are to proceed to. Very cool.

All mainline, all with wifi

I think it is more than marketing!

P.S. And brewed decaf!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jpsj; Jun 1, 2014 at 8:00 am Reason: Decaf update!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jpsj
My United Flight was cancelled last night---RJ--from STL-ORD--had to stay the night and was rebooked on Delta First--STL-ATL-PHL. Just getting on in ATL.

Great service, drinks before flight, snack to ATL, seat was great as the tray table is built to sit above your lap--nice and the recline was impressive. This seat rocks and is so much better than the new first seat! One cool thing--when you come out of the gate in ATL--there is a dedicated screen for your flight with connections showing you what gate you are to proceed to. Very cool.

All mainline, all with wifi

I think it is more than marketing!
But but 12 express on STL-ORD is a great thing I heard. I've learned my lesson, I don't fly UA anywhere in the midwest anymore. WN is my friend on those routes.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jpsj
One cool thing--when you come out of the gate in ATL--there is a dedicated screen for your flight with connections showing you what gate you are to proceed to. Very cool.
I'm always entertained to see what stuff people haven't seen before. This has been in all DL hubs for what, close to 10 years now?

I was telling a UA rep about how I scanned my DL bag tag and looked up status, and his jaw dropped. This has been on DL for at least 3 years.

I do always get a chuckle leaving the plane in IAH, right when you go through the door into the terminal, you can see the agents pecking away at the green monochrome SHARES screens and the agent standing there with the dot-matrix printout on continuous feed paper, "Connections, y'all?"

Throw in the junk club amenities and the carts all over the place, and connecting in IAH is so third world compared to ATL.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

thats been true on DL for ages. Welcome to the party. Lol
Old May 11, 2015, 9:08 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Mainline flights returning to SFO-MSP & vv in summer 2015, with many days seeing three flights a day (two E175s and a mainline jet which is a mix of 737 and A319/20.)

Big capacity increase for this route, which is nice to see.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by evanroberts
Mainline flights returning to SFO-MSP & vv in summer 2015, with many days seeing three flights a day (two E175s and a mainline jet which is a mix of 737 and A319/20.)

Big capacity increase for this route, which is nice to see.
DL flies 5 flts a day all on mainline jets from their hub (MSP) to UA's hub SFO.

UA can not fly 5 flts ALL mainline from a UA hub (SFO) to MSP?

Something is wrong with this picture.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
DL flies 5 flts a day all on mainline jets from their hub (MSP) to UA's hub SFO.

Yes, the premise.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

Let's give UA some credit. They are trying and hopefully this goes 2 mainline flights a day. MSP has a ton of business.

I even saw mainline on ORD-SLC. It's been a while.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Let's give UA some credit. They are trying and hopefully this goes 2 mainline flights a day. MSP has a ton of business.

I even saw mainline on ORD-SLC. It's been a while.
This tells me UA can not compete (or won't). We are talking hub-non hub for both carriers. UA flew mainline on this route for many, many years. Both MSP and SFO have a ton of business. Something stinks in Sears (Willis) tower.

Old May 11, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott

UA flies 11 flights, 10 on mainline, from their hub SFO to DL's hub SEA.

DL can only fly 7 flights on regional jets (0 mainline) from their hub SEA to UA's hub SFO.

Seriously, airlines have to pick their battles carefully. They cannot match other airlines on every route. Profits are far more important than market share.

Last edited by Austin787; May 11, 2015 at 10:17 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
UA flies 11 flights, 10 on mainline, from their hub SFO to DL's hub SEA.

DL can only fly 7 flights on regional jets (0 mainline) from their hub SEA to UA's hub SFO.

Seriously, airlines have to pick their battles carefully. They cannot match other airlines on every route. Profits are far more important than market share.
Cherry picking a little? SEA is not a hub yet (although DL calls it one). UA for many years flew to MSP with all mainline. What went wrong?

Also compare the distance. SEA-SFO VS SFO-MSP?
Old May 11, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I'll criticize UA for "cannot compete (or won't)" when DL reaches parity with UA or AA for that matter on LAX-ORD frequencies. I won't even fuss with mainline on that. Surely, LAX is a DL "hub" (sic).
Old May 11, 2015, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I'll criticize UA for "cannot compete (or won't)" when DL reaches parity with UA or AA for that matter on LAX-ORD frequencies. I won't even fuss with mainline on that. Surely, LAX is a DL "hub" (sic).
LAX is a hub for UA, DL and AA. ORD is a hub for UA and AA. Apples to oranges, just like calling SEA a DL hub. DL marketing is calling SEA a hub, but it is not yet. It is a Pacific Gateway at this point (sic ).

The question is why can UA not compete from SFO to MSP?
Old May 11, 2015, 10:51 pm

The question is why can UA not compete from SFO to MSP?
It only appears to be a question in 1 person's eyes...

If UA not flying enough mainline from SFO to MSP was the straw that breaks the camel's back for some flyers, then they are long gone already.

Will some of these SFO based flyers now come back? UA anticipates they will, we'll know as we watch how they gauge the aircraft and frequency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.