Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-MSP going RJ?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Just noticed my November SFO-MSP Rez changed the aircraft downgauged from 319 to ERJ175. Are you kidding me? 1,589 mile flight.

Paid F on a flight I'll now be served no meal. No thanks. I'll fly Delta.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 17, 2014 at 3:48 am Reason: merge
Old May 17, 2014, 2:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On the dates I'm looking at in October, DL flies six daily nonstops SFO-MSP - 2 757s and 4 320s. And UA can't float a single 319 nonstop? From SFO?
Old May 17, 2014, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Kacee
On the dates I'm looking at in October, DL flies six daily nonstops SFO-MSP - 2 757s and 4 320s. And UA can't float a single 319 nonstop? From SFO?
Whats sad is I'd actually be OK with this b/c I like having the row to myself... But if F class were actually fed a meal on a 1589 mi flight. Thats just a dealbreaker for me.

Its surprising because there are tons of GS taking this route and I've seen it go from a 319/320, occasional 738 to a 175. United must be insane to think people are going to pay F for this anymore.

Also seeing SFO-STL RJ frequency added,

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 17, 2014 at 3:49 am
Old May 17, 2014, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by demkr

Its surprising because there are tons of GS taking this route and I've seen it go from a 319/320, occasional 738 to a 175. United must be insane to think people are going to pay F for this anymore.
It's been a full flight every time I've been on it. But that is just anecdotal.

DL is not going to pull any international traffic from SFO, so they are apparently filling six daily flights with O/D traffic. And UA can't sustain one.
Old May 17, 2014, 4:49 am

dl

Delta also happens to have a large hub in msp. Very large hub. That's how they fill 6 flights. Ua's sfo hub is much smaller and this flight is primarily geared towards the sfo- based o/d traveler

UOTE=Kacee;22878407]It's been a full flight every time I've been on it. But that is just anecdotal.

DL is not going to pull any international traffic from SFO, so they are apparently filling six daily flights with O/D traffic. And UA can't sustain one.[/QUOTE]
Old May 17, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Chalk another loss. I'm not sure why MSP having a hub demands more. SFO is a hub too.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:04 am

Actually an increase in flights/improvement

Actually the schedule change is an improvement:

goes from 1 319 daily to 2 E-175 Daily (Msp-Sfo) 7:30am and 5:00pm
and allows morning and evening service

seat count goes from 120 to 152

all coaches seats are 2 and 2
first class goes from 8 to 24 seats
175s may have food

this is really a comfortable plane with more frequency

Flyer talk continues with all negative but never good news
Old May 17, 2014, 7:17 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by demkr

Paid F on a flight I'll now be served no meal. No thanks. I'll fly Delta.
Au contraire, you will be served a cardboard box with the finest spreadable Rondele cheese and some old crackers. And if properly catered, you may even have ice in your beverages.

Now that's flying friendly!
Old May 17, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by trk1

175s may have food

Improvement? No wifi, no meals in first, run out of liquor, flight more likely to get cancelled and contracted workers. Yup a great improvement.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Originally Posted by trk1

175s may have food

Improvement? No wifi, no meals in first, run out of liquor, flight more likely to get cancelled and contracted workers. Yup a great improvement.
Exactly. And on some days its only 1x 175. The big issue for me isn't just the flight length, but lack of F meal.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:49 am

SFO - MSP is not just O&D. Don't forget that SFO is a hub that provides connections for the west coast. I regularly used to fly PDX - SFO - MSP. I rarely saw an empty seat on the SFO - MSP flights.

I gave that up a couple of years ago and now just fly non-stop PDX - MSP on DL for my five or six trips per year to MSP. It just isn't worth it to chase miles or status on UA. I do miss the hot pockets that I got on the UA flight when I did get upgraded. Mmmm...hot pocket.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
UA's strategy on competitive routes:

Downguage!
Old May 17, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
UA's strategy on competitive routes:

Downguage!
Have you flown an E175 yet?

In this case, I think increased frequency, on the biggest 'small' RJ, with increased F availability, is an improvement.

However, UA does need to add a meal in F (and have the fresh BoB items in in Y) on their 175's, especially on these longer flights.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
In this case, I think increased frequency, on the biggest 'small' RJ, with increased F availability, is an improvement.
So by extension, you would advocate for an E75 on every route with 30 minute frequency?
Old May 17, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Have you flown an E175 yet?

However, UA does need to add a meal in F (and have the fresh BoB items in in Y) on their 175's, especially on these longer flights.
I have flown Air Canada's, again it's a downgrade. No wifi, no food, run out of liquor, and contracted service on a 3+ hour flight.

Also, it is not always 2 daily. Another ,think, didn't UA tell us these aircraft would "upgrade" smaller Express flights. Nope, all they are going to do is add another daily to either ORD, IAH or EWR. That's it.

You are trying to spin this, but the 175's were meant to upgrade smaller express not downgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.