Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Angry Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

I have had 3 consecutive UA flights with mechanical delays.

It started last Tuesday when UA 766 from JFK to SFO sat at the gate at JFK for over 3 hours. Yesterday on UA 808 from SFO to JFK, they stopped boarding the plane and had to find a replacement (which fortunately didn't take long). Although I was worried about making my connection at JFK, I shouldn't have. UA 5714 left JFK 4 hours late (mechanical, not weather).

Is it just my bad luck, or have others had similar bad experiences?

Can anyone top 3 in a row? I am going for #4 next Wednesday.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bdelancy

It started last Tuesday when UA 766 from JFK to SFO sat at the gate at JFK for over 3 hours. Yesterday on UA 808 from SFO to JFK, they stopped boarding the plane and had to find a replacement (which fortunately didn't take long). Although I was worried about making my connection at JFK, I shouldn't have. UA 5714 left JFK 4 hours late (mechanical, not weather).

Can anyone top 3 in a row? I am going for #4 next Wednesday.
Bet they were pmUA 752s. Even channa admitted that pmCO's newer planes are more reliable.

Oops...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-merger.html

Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Bet they were pmUA 752s. Even channa admitted that pmCO's newer planes are more reliable.
The 752s are ps and thus by definition sUA.

Not sure what this adds to the discussion. To the delayed passenger, it really doesn't matter whether the aircraft is sCO or sUA, what matters is that there's a delay.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee

Not sure what this adds to the discussion. To the delayed passenger, it really doesn't matter whether the aircraft is sCO or sUA, what matters is that there's a delay.
This is FT. Where in the TOS does it say posts must add to the discussion? Good heavens, man...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
This is FT. Where in the TOS does it say posts must add to the discussion? Good heavens, man...
Who cares if sCO aircraft are newer and thus theoretically more reliable? Does this somehow make someone feel better about something? I just don't get it.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Who cares if sCO aircraft are newer and thus theoretically more reliable?
CO had newer aircraft than UA, but worse ON TIME.

Now UA has newer aircraft than DL, but worse ON TIME.

The only thing in common is wherever the CO planes are, the ON TIME sucks.

So much for new plane reliability.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdelancy

Can anyone top 3 in a row?
I've had three in one day in August 2012. I was beginning to feel it was me. I ended up getting out on a CO737 in E- window seat...ugh!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
CO had newer aircraft than UA, but worse ON TIME.

Now UA has newer aircraft than DL, but worse ON TIME.

The only thing in common is wherever the CO planes are, the ON TIME sucks.

So much for new plane reliability.
A tad late beats CANCELED, my man. As I posted a few years ago when I first started flying UA metal, I ran in to significantly more mechanicals (and cancellations) than I ever did on CO.

Whoops...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-merger.html

Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Do NOT come to Vegas....not sure you would leave a winner

sorry for all of your hassles...flying ain't too much fun anymore!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:07 pm

All on the Dreamliner, all on the same flight (UA 94 IAH-DEN):

January 2014: Mechanical issue delays flight by 1.5 hrs, then the ice storm @ IAH suspends all operations for about 1.5 hrs, then the de-icing takes nearly 2 hrs (we only had two 777's in front of us - IAH is just not equipped for that kind of weather

February and March 2014: Mechanical issues delayed the departure by 3.5 hrs.

In all three instances I was continuing on to UA 139, the DEN-NRT flight. I've learned to just go with the flow and that it's better safe than sorry; I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape, nor stressed out about it. You should have received apology emails from UA and your choice of a discount off your next purchase or a lump sum of RDM's. I took the discounts as it can be a nice discount off my business class fares ex GUM to the U.S.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by trust77
All on the Dreamliner, all on the same flight (UA 94 IAH-DEN):

January 2014: Mechanical issue delays flight by 1.5 hrs, then the ice storm @ IAH suspends all operations for about 1.5 hrs, then the de-icing takes nearly 2 hrs (we only had two 777's in front of us - IAH is just not equipped for that kind of weather

February and March 2014: Mechanical issues delayed the departure by 3.5 hrs.

In all three instances I was continuing on to UA 139, the DEN-NRT flight. I've learned to just go with the flow and that it's better safe than sorry; I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape, nor stressed out about it. You should have received apology emails from UA and your choice of a discount off your next purchase or a lump sum of RDM's. I took the discounts as it can be a nice discount off my business class fares ex GUM to the U.S.
"While it is not our normal practice to provide compensation for flight
interruptions that are less than four hours"
This is straight from 1Kvoice. Anything less than 4 hours is ontime
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
My last flight was ok, but the 4 before that were 3 mechanical delays and 1 crew not showing up. 50/50 split between both subsidiaries.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:18 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
I can't believe I'm adding to this mess, but those 752's are actually legacy sCO that were converted to ps service. The 752's that were 3-cabin sUA have been retired.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by glx
I can't believe I'm adding to this mess, but those 752's are actually legacy sCO that were converted to ps service. The 752's that were 3-cabin sUA have been retired.
I'm confused because all the present PS aircraft have N5xxUA registrations and are 757-222 (as is the rest of the domestic sUA 752s and the 8 of 13 old style PS that were retired ) while the sCO 752s are Nxxxxx registrations and are 757-224. I guess we will need to have one of the fleet experts straighten this out.
ref: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by glx
THat is not correct. All of sCO 757s are equipped with 16 BusinessFirst Seats, and none are PS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.