Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
pmCO's newer planes are more reliable.
There's not much difference; fleet-wide year to date figures:

Code:
 sub | on_time | cancels 
-----+---------+---------
 sCO | 76%     | 2.0%
 sUA | 75%     | 2.3%

Last edited by mduell; Apr 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm Reason: misallocated the unscheduled flights the first time around
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell

Code:
 sub | on_time | cancels 
 sCO | 76%     | 2.0%
 sUA | 75%     | 2.3%
But what if you stage length adjusted the numbers
(sorry for the frivolous comment)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2014 at 7:04 pm Reason: updated quote per OP's request
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
A tad late beats CANCELED, my man. As I posted a few years ago when I first started flying UA metal, I ran in to significantly more mechanicals (and cancellations) than I ever did on CO.
Depends on the rebooking. In this SHARES environment, where rebooking is practically a guaranteed hassle, sure, delays are better than cancellations.

However, in the PMUA world, where a cancellation and rebook via another route and/or OAL, quickly and easily, it was sometimes no issue to take a cancellation over a delay.

I think I posted back then, when I moved from CO to UA as my primary, there were more IRROPS on UA than on CO, but the overall pain level was lower, because they were handled smoothly on UA vs. having to fight on CO.

There's less fighting now (CO is more open to OALs and such if needed), but the rebooking is still lengthy because of SHARES, so the pain level is still high.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But what if you stage length adjusted the numbers
(sorry for the frivolous comment)
By scheduled block time:

Code:
 sub | stage | on_time | cancels 
-----+-------+---------+---------
 sCO | 0-1h  | 73%     | 0.9%
 sUA | 0-1h  | 79%     | 0.9%
 sCO | 1-2h  | 74%     | 2.7%
 sUA | 1-2h  | 77%     | 2.3%
 sCO | 2-4h  | 77%     | 1.8%
 sUA | 2-4h  | 76%     | 2.5%
 sCO | 4-8h  | 75%     | 2.2%
 sUA | 4-8h  | 74%     | 2.3%
 sCO | >8h   | 72%     | 1.6%
 sUA | >8h   | 72%     | 1.8%
(please update your quote of my prior post since I originally misallocated the unscheduled flights to sCO)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glx
I can't believe I'm adding to this mess, but those 752's are actually legacy sCO that were converted to ps service. The 752's that were 3-cabin sUA have been retired.
Sorry that's not right.

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
THat is not correct. All of sCO 757s are equipped with 16 BusinessFirst Seats, and none are PS.
Exactly. All sCO 752s are in the int'l configuration. All sCO domestic 757s are 757-300s.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
maintenance delays/cancellations are still pretty bad on UA. A stretch like yours has last happened to me in September, but plenty of single and double issues on a r/t since. IMO one of the most pressing issues UA must address.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Bet they were pmUA 752s. Even channa admitted that pmCO's newer planes are more reliable.
Not true. I encountered a mechanical problem with a pmCO 764 in March, resulting in a delay, aircraft swap, bumped pax, diversion, followed by cancellation. Fun stuff.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Not true. I encountered a mechanical problem .....
Individual experiences is not very relevant when discussing relative fleet averages.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by trust77
All on the Dreamliner, all on the same flight (UA 94 IAH-DEN):

January 2014: Mechanical issue delays flight by 1.5 hrs, then the ice storm @ IAH suspends all operations for about 1.5 hrs, then the de-icing takes nearly 2 hrs (we only had two 777's in front of us - IAH is just not equipped for that kind of weather

February and March 2014: Mechanical issues delayed the departure by 3.5 hrs.

In all three instances I was continuing on to UA 139, the DEN-NRT flight. I've learned to just go with the flow and that it's better safe than sorry; I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape, nor stressed out about it. You should have received apology emails from UA and your choice of a discount off your next purchase or a lump sum of RDM's. I took the discounts as it can be a nice discount off my business class fares ex GUM to the U.S.
Why didn't you take IAH-NRT nonstop on B777?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by poohhead80
Why didn't you take IAH-NRT nonstop on B777?
Because the 777 feels old to me now. I acknowledge the Dreamliner has had its share of problems but I've padded my travel schedule to allow for these delays. People say they can't feel the difference, but for me, I definitely notice an overall better travel experience including less fatigue when I arrive at my final destination now that I fly the Dreamliner. Having been a loyal CO customer, I'm already used to the sCO BF seat, so the smaller foot wells are not an issue for me. Additionally one of my pet peeves, on the sCO 772's and 764's is the lack of air vents, which the Dreamliner takes care of. I guess it's all just relative to the traveler and their personal preferences.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:09 am
axl

Not true. I encountered a mechanical problem with a pmCO 764 in March, resulting in a delay, aircraft swap, bumped pax, diversion, followed by cancellation. Fun stuff.
Was that a HNL- IAD flight by any chance?
Old May 1, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by axl
Was that a HNL- IAD flight by any chance?
Yes, it was. Huge mess swapping from 764 to a 753!

Last edited by FlyerAl; May 1, 2014 at 2:23 am
Old May 1, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell

Code:
 sub | on_time | cancels 
 sCO | 76%     | 2.0%
 sUA | 75%     | 2.3%
Hmmm...sUA cancellation rate 15% higher than sCO, and aren't there more sUA birds?

Oops...Ok, I promise not to fan the flames anymore.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Individual experiences is not very relevant when discussing relative fleet averages.
True, but when your 5 out of 6 flights were delayed due to mechanical issues, it's more than a coincidence.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, it was. Huge mess swapping from 764 to a 753!
There's been a lot of that. Much like the ps swaps, these really hurt for those of us who were looking forward to starting our Hawaii vacations with a lie-flat, and wind up on one of those awful ex-ATA birds.

I suspect UA loses a handful of customers for good every time they do something like this.

Hmmm...sUA cancellation rate 15% higher than sCO, and aren't there more sUA birds?

Oops...Ok, I promise not to fan the flames anymore.
You're not "fanning flames," just tiresome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.