Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

Old Apr 30, 14, 1:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC/SF/Herault
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Posts: 124
Angry Consecutive flights with mechanical problems - 3 and counting

I have had 3 consecutive UA flights with mechanical delays.

It started last Tuesday when UA 766 from JFK to SFO sat at the gate at JFK for over 3 hours. Yesterday on UA 808 from SFO to JFK, they stopped boarding the plane and had to find a replacement (which fortunately didn't take long). Although I was worried about making my connection at JFK, I shouldn't have. UA 5714 left JFK 4 hours late (mechanical, not weather).

Is it just my bad luck, or have others had similar bad experiences?

Can anyone top 3 in a row? I am going for #4 next Wednesday.
02BNFR is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 1:49 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,370
Originally Posted by bdelancy View Post
I have had 3 consecutive UA flights with mechanical delays.

It started last Tuesday when UA 766 from JFK to SFO sat at the gate at JFK for over 3 hours. Yesterday on UA 808 from SFO to JFK, they stopped boarding the plane and had to find a replacement (which fortunately didn't take long). Although I was worried about making my connection at JFK, I shouldn't have. UA 5714 left JFK 4 hours late (mechanical, not weather).

Is it just my bad luck, or have others had similar bad experiences?

Can anyone top 3 in a row? I am going for #4 next Wednesday.
Bet they were pmUA 752s. Even channa admitted that pmCO's newer planes are more reliable.

Oops...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-merger.html

Bonehead is online now  
Old Apr 30, 14, 2:01 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,925
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
Bet they were pmUA 752s. Even channa admitted that pmCO's newer planes are more reliable.
The 752s are ps and thus by definition sUA.

Not sure what this adds to the discussion. To the delayed passenger, it really doesn't matter whether the aircraft is sCO or sUA, what matters is that there's a delay.
Kacee is online now  
Old Apr 30, 14, 2:13 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,370
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The 752s are ps and thus by definition sUA.

Not sure what this adds to the discussion. To the delayed passenger, it really doesn't matter whether the aircraft is sCO or sUA, what matters is that there's a delay.
This is FT. Where in the TOS does it say posts must add to the discussion? Good heavens, man...
Bonehead is online now  
Old Apr 30, 14, 2:15 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,925
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
This is FT. Where in the TOS does it say posts must add to the discussion? Good heavens, man...
Who cares if sCO aircraft are newer and thus theoretically more reliable? Does this somehow make someone feel better about something? I just don't get it.
Kacee is online now  
Old Apr 30, 14, 2:19 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,948
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Who cares if sCO aircraft are newer and thus theoretically more reliable?
CO had newer aircraft than UA, but worse ON TIME.

Now UA has newer aircraft than DL, but worse ON TIME.

The only thing in common is wherever the CO planes are, the ON TIME sucks.

So much for new plane reliability.
channa is online now  
Old Apr 30, 14, 2:19 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The City/Honolulu
Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,320
Originally Posted by bdelancy View Post
I have had 3 consecutive UA flights with mechanical delays.

Is it just my bad luck, or have others had similar bad experiences?

Can anyone top 3 in a row?
I've had three in one day in August 2012. I was beginning to feel it was me. I ended up getting out on a CO737 in E- window seat...ugh!
Pat89339 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 3:14 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 15,370
Originally Posted by channa View Post
CO had newer aircraft than UA, but worse ON TIME.

Now UA has newer aircraft than DL, but worse ON TIME.

The only thing in common is wherever the CO planes are, the ON TIME sucks.

So much for new plane reliability.
A tad late beats CANCELED, my man. As I posted a few years ago when I first started flying UA metal, I ran in to significantly more mechanicals (and cancellations) than I ever did on CO.

Whoops...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-merger.html

Bonehead is online now  
Old Apr 30, 14, 4:29 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL Plat
Posts: 2,029
Do NOT come to Vegas....not sure you would leave a winner

sorry for all of your hassles...flying ain't too much fun anymore!
boss315 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 5:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 753
All on the Dreamliner, all on the same flight (UA 94 IAH-DEN):

January 2014: Mechanical issue delays flight by 1.5 hrs, then the ice storm @ IAH suspends all operations for about 1.5 hrs, then the de-icing takes nearly 2 hrs (we only had two 777's in front of us - IAH is just not equipped for that kind of weather

February and March 2014: Mechanical issues delayed the departure by 3.5 hrs.

In all three instances I was continuing on to UA 139, the DEN-NRT flight. I've learned to just go with the flow and that it's better safe than sorry; I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape, nor stressed out about it. You should have received apology emails from UA and your choice of a discount off your next purchase or a lump sum of RDM's. I took the discounts as it can be a nice discount off my business class fares ex GUM to the U.S.
trust77 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 5:36 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SFO/JFK/MGA
Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Posts: 1,946
Originally Posted by trust77 View Post
All on the Dreamliner, all on the same flight (UA 94 IAH-DEN):

January 2014: Mechanical issue delays flight by 1.5 hrs, then the ice storm @ IAH suspends all operations for about 1.5 hrs, then the de-icing takes nearly 2 hrs (we only had two 777's in front of us - IAH is just not equipped for that kind of weather

February and March 2014: Mechanical issues delayed the departure by 3.5 hrs.

In all three instances I was continuing on to UA 139, the DEN-NRT flight. I've learned to just go with the flow and that it's better safe than sorry; I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape, nor stressed out about it. You should have received apology emails from UA and your choice of a discount off your next purchase or a lump sum of RDM's. I took the discounts as it can be a nice discount off my business class fares ex GUM to the U.S.
"While it is not our normal practice to provide compensation for flight
interruptions that are less than four hours"
This is straight from 1Kvoice. Anything less than 4 hours is ontime
zoegksf is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 5:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DEN
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 1,332
My last flight was ok, but the 4 before that were 3 mechanical delays and 1 crew not showing up. 50/50 split between both subsidiaries.
Plane-is-home is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 6:18 pm
  #13  
glx
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Posts: 724
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The 752s are ps and thus by definition sUA.
I can't believe I'm adding to this mess, but those 752's are actually legacy sCO that were converted to ps service. The 752's that were 3-cabin sUA have been retired.
glx is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 6:40 pm
  #14  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,850
Originally Posted by glx View Post
I can't believe I'm adding to this mess, but those 752's are actually legacy sCO that were converted to ps service. The 752's that were 3-cabin sUA have been retired.
I'm confused because all the present PS aircraft have N5xxUA registrations and are 757-222 (as is the rest of the domestic sUA 752s and the 8 of 13 old style PS that were retired ) while the sCO 752s are Nxxxxx registrations and are 757-224. I guess we will need to have one of the fleet experts straighten this out.
ref: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 6:43 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Miler, Marriott Gold
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by glx View Post
I can't believe I'm adding to this mess, but those 752's are actually legacy sCO that were converted to ps service. The 752's that were 3-cabin sUA have been retired.
THat is not correct. All of sCO 757s are equipped with 16 BusinessFirst Seats, and none are PS.
JerseyCityS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread