Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
During the COVID period, change fees are waived for many tickets
Sept 2020 - Change Fees Are Gone For Good
There won’t be any change fees if:
You’re traveling:
  • Within the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico
  • Between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean
  • To other international destinations from the U.S.
You have these types of tickets:
  • Economy
  • Economy Plus®
  • United First®
  • United Business®*
  • United Premium PlusSM*
You can change Basic Economy and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by March 31, 2021.
UA's definitions -- in red added editorial comments
Basic Economy (most restricted) ---- Our most restricted fare:Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No carry-on bag, just a personal item
Earn award miles only, no Premier® qualifying credit
Upgrades and Economy Plus® are not available
No refunds or changes

Economy ---- Our standard Economy fare:Seat selection at booking, if seats are available
Enjoy other options for customizing your travel
Non-refundable -- fee to change*, credit toward future flight

Economy (flexible) ---- Our flexible Economy fare:Refundable fare; cancellation and change* fees may apply
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

Economy (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted Economy fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

First (lowest) ---- Our lowest fare in First:Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
Non-refundable -- a fee to change*, credit toward a future flight

First (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted First fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees.
Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
*Most change fees have been eliminated

Refundability
o Some tickets are refundable but with a change / cancellation fee
o In the fare rules, words like "CHANGES PERMITTED" or "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED" indicate refundability

Note: For a ticket with multiple segments and different fares classes / fare rules, the most restrictive applies to the entire ticket. So a single non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable.

related thread -- How to book a refundable ticket on UA

Print Wikipost

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:22 am

Well, do you need it to be refundable? I find refundable-with-change-fee fares to be somewhat useless.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:37 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's refundable, can't you just refund it and buy a new ticket to get around change fees? You'll be hit with any difference in fares regardless.

And I always book a ticket expecting to use it, but stuff happens so it is nice to be able to cancel the ticket without penalty.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If it's refundable, can't you just refund it and buy a new ticket to get around change fees? You'll be hit with any difference in fares regardless.
It depends upon the fare rules. Some fares are refundable, but with an administrative fee (which is generally equal to whatever the change fee for that market would be). You receive the difference as your refund.

Also, for fares priced on a round-trip basis, there would be a significant difference between a refund and a change if initiated after travel has begun -- refunding the return would result in the outbound being re-priced as a one-way; making a change would not. Even if a fee applied for changes, but not for refunds, in many cases it would be cheaper to pay the change fee than to do the partial refund.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If it's refundable, can't you just refund it and buy a new ticket to get around change fees? .....
Refundable does not mean no fees -- it just means you get some / most back to your original method of payment vs house credit.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm.

Looks to me like AA fare basis I1E0N4D1 is $3310 r/t base fare LAX-TYO, versus UA fare basis PFE0ZUJC $3310 base fare LAX-TYO, looking at sample dates 5 May--25 May.

Of those two fares:

* AA fare I1E0N4D1 appears to be refundable (can get your cash back) but comes with a $500 refund fee. There's an additional $400 fee if you no-show without cancelling in advance. The fare also appears to be changeable — with a $400 change fee.

* UA fare PFE0ZUJC appears to be refundable (can get your cash back) but comes with a $500 refund fee. No no-show penalty; same $500 fee for cancel/refund after departure. The fare also appears to be changeable — with a $450 change fee.

That's how I read it, anyway. They're definitely somewhat different products, so you should be sure to read the rules carefully if you're buying one of these!

Which specific fares were you looking at?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:10 am

Thanks, mherdeg. I wasn't looking at a specific fare, just what came up on the search screen for each airline, so it was probably the fares you found.

To me, a refund means "You can return it and get your money back." All of it. If AA claims a fare is refundable but has a so-called refund fee, that is NOT a refundable fare. In other words, it's fraud. Claiming that if I had just read the fare rules where it is buried deeply (something I do all the time but most purchasers don't) does not strike me as a defense.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks, mherdeg. I wasn't looking at a specific fare, just what came up on the search screen for each airline, so it was probably the fares you found.

To me, a refund means "You can return it and get your money back." All of it. If AA claims a fare is refundable but has a so-called refund fee, that is NOT a refundable fare. In other words, it's fraud. Claiming that if I had just read the fare rules where it is buried deeply (something I do all the time but most purchasers don't) does not strike me as a defense.
I'm not sure why "refundable" should automatically mean you get 100% of your payment back. Fees and charges are now commonplace in air travel.

An administrative fee on a refund seems par for the course these days. Perhaps airlines should be clearer when a fare is "refundable" versus "fully refundable"?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
An administrative fee on a refund seems par for the course these days. Perhaps airlines should be clearer when a fare is "refundable" versus "fully refundable"?
Yes charging a fee for a refund is fully consistent with industry standards. On domestic carriers, only the most expensive F, J, Y, and B fares will typically be refundable without penalty. Rules are more variable among non-US carriers, with some following the US approach, and others being much more lenient.

I'm actually surprised that the UA P is refundable at all. They must be matching someone else's fare rules (maybe AA, maybe someone else), because that is definitely not the UA norm.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
The real question here is why would you be considering UA or AA when NH, JL and SQ (a few hundred more) have the exact fares?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
To me, a refund means "You can return it and get your money back." All of it. If AA claims a fare is refundable but has a so-called refund fee, that is NOT a refundable fare. In other words, it's fraud.
Yes. I agree with you that it's crazy that the word "refundable" has a special meaning in airline land of "if you cancel, you can get (some) cash instead of just (some) airline credit".

I am pretty sure that this started happening only in the past 5-10 years as airlines got more aggressive about assessing fees on ticket changes. I don't have a good source. It has certainly confused others (see e.g. US Airways discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ancel-fee.html ).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Yes. I agree with you that it's crazy that the word "refundable" has a special meaning in airline land of "if you cancel, you can get (some) cash instead of just (some) airline credit".

I am pretty sure that this started happening only in the past 5-10 years as airlines got more aggressive about assessing fees on ticket changes. I don't have a good source. It has certainly confused others (see e.g. US Airways discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ancel-fee.html ).
Not saying I agree with the practice, but Airlines aren't the only ones who impose caveats with "refundable." Many retailers impose restocking fees. Many online retailers charge a shipping/handling fee to return/refund an item. They all work the same way as an airline fare that is refundable, but carries a charge to do so.

This is why if you're every booking over the phone with UA or a TA, it's best to confirm "is this fare refundable without penalty," when seeking a "refundable" ticket.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Not saying I agree with the practice, but Airlines aren't the only ones who impose caveats with "refundable." Many retailers impose restocking fees. Many online retailers charge a shipping/handling fee to return/refund an item. They all work the same way as an airline fare that is refundable, but carries a charge to do so.

This is why if you're every booking over the phone with UA or a TA, it's best to confirm "is this fare refundable without penalty," when seeking a "refundable" ticket.
I agree. My problem is that I am not elite on AA and I really hate the idea of waiting on hold for 45 minutes to get a simple question like this answered. Fortunately, there are flyertalkers who do know, and I trust their knowledge way more than most airline res agents on a rule question.

Incidentally, in my experience, anyone who says "refundable" in any other industry and also charges a restocking fee, prominently includes that info. Airlines don't, I still think it verges on fraud.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg

This is why it's always a really good idea to read the fare rules before you buy. Yes, I get he US carriers don't make it easy, but I always screenshot the fare rules page before I complete purchase.

Refundable means you can get cash back. That's all. Your perception of it always means you get all cash back, or there can't be a fee, is just your perception - maybe from past normal practices, but that's not literally what it always means. In that case, if you convert that school of thought to a non-refundable fare, id take that to mean you could never get anything back, even though usually, you can get the value of the ticket back to use towards another itinerary.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For those looking for further discussion on the Alice-in-Wonderland world of "refundable" fares there are
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-please.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ticket-ua.html
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Question What is the latest you can cancel an unrestricted / full fare ticket?

How close to departure can you cancel an unrestricted / full fare ticket? If I'm in the terminal and it's less than T-30 and I realize I won't make it through security, can I still cancel? I know that at 30 minutes you can no longer check-in and the gate agent "gets control" of the flight. I don't know if that prevents you from using the app or other tools to cancel your trip, though, so you can retain value on the ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.