Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
During the COVID period, change fees are waived for many tickets
Sept 2020 - Change Fees Are Gone For Good
There won’t be any change fees if:
You’re traveling:
  • Within the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico
  • Between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean
  • To other international destinations from the U.S.
You have these types of tickets:
  • Economy
  • Economy Plus®
  • United First®
  • United Business®*
  • United Premium PlusSM*
You can change Basic Economy and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by March 31, 2021.
UA's definitions -- in red added editorial comments
Basic Economy (most restricted) ---- Our most restricted fare:Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No carry-on bag, just a personal item
Earn award miles only, no Premier® qualifying credit
Upgrades and Economy Plus® are not available
No refunds or changes

Economy ---- Our standard Economy fare:Seat selection at booking, if seats are available
Enjoy other options for customizing your travel
Non-refundable -- fee to change*, credit toward future flight

Economy (flexible) ---- Our flexible Economy fare:Refundable fare; cancellation and change* fees may apply
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

Economy (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted Economy fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

First (lowest) ---- Our lowest fare in First:Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
Non-refundable -- a fee to change*, credit toward a future flight

First (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted First fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees.
Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
*Most change fees have been eliminated

Refundability
o Some tickets are refundable but with a change / cancellation fee
o In the fare rules, words like "CHANGES PERMITTED" or "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED" indicate refundability

Note: For a ticket with multiple segments and different fares classes / fare rules, the most restrictive applies to the entire ticket. So a single non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable.

related thread -- How to book a refundable ticket on UA

Print Wikipost

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You could call it in.

In theory, I have heard fully refundable means even after departure- but I'd never risk that kind of $$ on that theory.

To me, the limit is one minute before they pull you off the itinerary as a "no-show" -.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
You could call it in.

In theory, I have heard fully refundable means even after departure- but I'd never risk that kind of $$ on that theory.

To me, the limit is one minute before they pull you off the itinerary as a "no-show" -.
But can you do it via the app w/out calling? Curious what the latest someone has done that is.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Depends on the fare rules. For the most unrestricted fares there are probably 2 key dates:

(1) Time of departure -- assuming you weren't checked in to the flight, cancel before time of departure to avoid an auto cancel due to no-show.

(2) 1 year after purchase -- some fares do not have a no-show penalty. (Check the fare rules closely). In those cases an auto-cancel is OK and you can still change (use ticket value for something else) or refund. BUT the ticket stops being valid and all value is left 12 months after purchase according to most fare rules and/or the CoC.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RdFltErr
But can you do it via the app w/out calling? Curious what the latest someone has done that is.
I'm not sure if the app includes cancellation or not.

If your receipt says "0VALUAFTDPT", then you need to get the ticket cancelled before the flight departs -- and, yes, I'd do it no later than T-15 (domestic) or T-30 (international), which is the point when you've no-showed.

If your receipt does not say that, you should be able to get a refund anytime during the ticket validity -- one year from the date of issue. In that case, you should not need to cancel it before the flight departs. (I suppose you should read the voluntary changes and penalties sections of the fare rules to be certain).

However, if you were actually in this situation -- trying to get through security and unable to make the flight -- UA is likely to put you onto the next available flight whether you have a refundable ticket or not -- it's the "flat tire rule," which is less of a published rule than it is an allowance for "stuff happens."
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
I know that at 30 minutes you can no longer check-in and the gate agent "gets control" of the flight. I don't know if that prevents you from using the app or other tools to cancel your trip
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not sure if the app includes cancellation or not.
It does not.

You have to call.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question here is what the passenger wants. a fully refundable F/J/Y ticket without and cancellation restriction will be refunded at any time, even after the flight has departed.

But, that does not speak to the reservation and reservations for a return or onward segments). Those are cancelled if the passenger does not check in or board by the required times. At that point, the passenger holds a ticket which represents value which may be refunded or applied to a new ticket. There is no need to worry about the "flat tire policy" or anything else because the value is not lost and there are no no show penalties.

But, if you hold return or onward segments, note that the reservations have been cancelled. There is no assurance that there is availability on those and that you will be able to get those back even though you have ticket value to apply.

So, all refundable means is refundable, not rebookable.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Thanks, this is all very helpful.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: gate lice
UA Polaris fare rules

Can I ask what the difference is in refunds, cancellations, and rebooking policy between these fare classes? I couldn't find them anywhere else on the internet.

P class (lowest); Z class (flex); D class (unrestricted).

I'm flying CLE-HKG, leaving May 30 and returning Aug 16.

However, I might be accepted into a certain program which would require me to fly into EWR on Jun 15 and spend eight weeks there. Unfortunately, I won't get notice on whether I will be accepted until May 27. So I'd be interested in a flexible ticket, but I have no idea where to start.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Without the full fare rules its difficult to answer, but generally
Originally Posted by leungy18
... Lowest / Restricted / Non-Refundable ....
Non-refundable with change fee to rebook. Must be used within a year of purchasing or all value will be lost

... Flex ..
Refundable fare but cancellation and change fees

... Unrestricted. ..
Completely refundable / changeable -- no fees BUT may be fare changes.
Note these unrestricted D fares will be very expensive.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

...Non-refundable with change fee to rebook. Must be used within a year of purchasing or all value will be lost...
Thanks! So if I purchase the lowest fare and I find out before I leave from CLE that I would like to return to EWR on Jun 15 instead of CLE on Aug 16, can I simply pay a change fee and the corresponding fare difference?

Typically how much is that change fee?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks! So if I purchase the lowest fare and I find out before I leave from CLE that I would like to return to EWR on Jun 15 instead of CLE on Aug 16, can I simply pay a change fee and the corresponding fare difference?

Typically how much is that change fee?
Yes, and the typical change fee is $450 for the fares on that route right now.

Note that the fare difference may include re-faring the outbound, depending on the circumstances when you make the change. It may be beneficial to fly the outbound first before changing the return.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So if I purchase the lowest fare and I find out before I leave from CLE that I would like to return to EWR on Jun 15 instead of CLE on Aug 16, can I simply pay a change fee and the corresponding fare difference?
Originally Posted by findark
Note that the fare difference may include re-faring the outbound, depending on the circumstances when you make the change.
In particular, if you make this change, and you're no longer within the advance purchase window of the discounted P fare, the fare will rise considerably.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
In particular, if you make this change, and you're no longer within the advance purchase window of the discounted P fare, the fare will rise considerably.
Would it be smarter to buy a P ticket to CLE (via EWR) on Jun 15, and if I am not accepted, change it to Aug 16? I am guessing that the fare for an Aug flight will still be reasonable in May/Jun, whereas the fare for a flight in 2 weeks will be exorbitant.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:19 pm

Would it be smarter to buy a P ticket to CLE (via EWR) on June 15, and if I am not accepted, change it to Aug 16? I am guessing that the fare for an Aug flight will still be reasonable in May/Jun, whereas the fare for a flight in 2 weeks will be exorbitant.
Agreed, if your choice is buying the P now and possibly having to change to a D, vs. buying a D later, the first option at least provides the possibility of significant savings.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed, if your choice is buying the P now and possibly having to change to a D, vs. buying a D later, the first option at least provides the possibility of significant savings.
Thanks...

Wow I just saw those unrestricted fares. Who even buys those? Jeez...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.