Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 UA UC (open), GS Lounge (open) & Arrivals Lounge (now open)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

United Club Hours 5:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. daily (as of October 2023) (standard UC access policies0
​​​​​​Global First Class GS / VIP lounge (newly open May 2022) (GS and at time 1K Polaris customers -- based on space)

Arrival Lounge Hours 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (open as of June 13, 2022)
The arrivals lounge at London Heathrow, located immediately after immigration and customs, is a shared space with shower suites, breakfast items and more. This lounge is exclusively available for United Polaris business class travelers.
Eligible travelers must be flying on a same-day ticket arriving before noon and cannot bring guests. Additionally, United Club memberships and one-time passes don’t grant access to this lounge.

Archive thread: LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2022, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ani90
... Several reports in the main UC access thread about people getting admission despite onward travel by non-partner. ...
Yes for UC members, same day arrival is allowed, same for UA *G with a same day traveling internationally or same day non-UA *A same day *A flight
Also same day UA Polaris passenger if arriving or departing on *A flight

Access to the GS area at LHR is probably a special set of rules as 1Ks Polaris also have access, but would not presume the same rules as UCs.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by drewguy
New to connecting through LHR at United *G. Connecting to, and a week later, from a Eurowings flight from Germany (i.e., IAD-LHR-Germany-LHR-IAD). What's the flow for this connection and lounges I should use?
You will arrive in the same terminal as UA -- just in section A which is the local terminal where you will go through security (just follow the signs to connecting flights). Once you clear security you will come out into the A part of terminal 2. All UA flights arrive and depart from the B part -- which is a good 10-15 minute walk underground to the remote terminal. There are not many shops in the B section -- all of the shopping and most of the food is in the A part -- but the UA club is out in B - so if you have access I would recommend going out to B for your flight and enjoy what is probably the best UA club in the system
drewguy and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Flat out denied entry into the UA UC today at LHR around 1045am. There was a person standing out front telling everyone it's full and to head to AC or SQ lounges. I probably could have played the 1K status card but decided not to. He said it was overflowing due to the delayed LHR-SFO flight (which went out 3+ hours late and then diverted to EWR). Really bummed I didn't get into the lounge as it's been pre-Covid since I've been in there. Plus as a 1K in Polaris I could have had access to the "GS side". Oh well, next time.

Originally Posted by drewguy
New to connecting through LHR at United *G. Connecting to, and a week later, from a Eurowings flight from Germany (i.e., IAD-LHR-Germany-LHR-IAD). What's the flow for this connection and lounges I should use?
bmwe92fan is mostly correct. I'll spell it out in more detail for you.

IAD-LHR you can use any lounge in IAD (LH/TK/UA). Since you don't specify if you're flying Polaris then I'll leave out the Polaris lounge but it's available to you if you're flying business.

LHR-Germany you can technically only use the LH lounge. I believe that *A lounge access at connecting airports only applies if you're connecting to a *A carrier. EuroWings (EW) is not a *A carrier and lounge access to UA *G is only available via a special deal with LH. The good thing is EW will depart from Terminal 2A which is where you find the LH lounge. You will be able to use the Senator section in the back.

Germany-LHR-IAD grants you access in Germany (assuming there's an LH lounge) as well as any *A lounge in LHR. As most others would say, try for the UA UC lounge if they'll let you in. I think my bad luck this morning is a one-off and not the norm.

-RM
Silver Fox, drewguy and bmwe92fan like this.

Last edited by RobOnLI; Nov 29, 2022 at 6:16 am Reason: Grammar
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I did ask, but standard cocktails were offered up (e.g. G&T), as opposed to more crafted offerings in the past.
The menu is back (did it really leave?) - and the Grand Diablo is still superb! (Sending via smartphone, apologies)

Grand Diablo

Cocktail Menu
cesco.g, FlyerBeek, Boraxo and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by seanp7
The menu is back (did it really leave?) - and the Grand Diablo is still superb! (Sending via smartphone, apologies)
The seem to have taken the espresso Martini off the menu. I know I can ask for it, and in fact I always used to go get the shot of espresso for them and bring it to them and order. Saves time

I might get a fully refundable ticket, check-in, go to the lounge for a few hours, then cancel ! This is part of my "do daft things" season!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:20 am

Recently, I have been to only the GS side. Since it's been so long since I have been to the main UC (pre-pandemic), can someone remind me if there is anything that is better on that side (seating, food, etc.).
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by jonu
Recently, I have been to only the GS side. Since it's been so long since I have been to the main UC (pre-pandemic), can someone remind me if there is anything that is better on that side (seating, food, etc.).
The main club has a bar. Though you could still ask staff at the 'GS side' to get you something from bar if you know what you want. GS side though you can help yourself to drinks.

Food tends to be warmer in main club. When quiet on 'GS side' the food stays in open long and cools down. Also occasionally there may be more food selection, like scones and pastries, on main club side.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Silver Fox

I might get a fully refundable ticket, check-in, go to the lounge for a few hours, then cancel ! This is part of my "do daft things" season!
And you brag about it?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 1:27 pm

on a 4 hour morning LHR connection UA to LX in J, is it a better choice to enter the UK to shower at the arrivals lounge OR to shower at one of the T2B lounges?

assuming T2B is the better choice for the shower, is this the flow as follows:

arrive T2B, walk to T2A for flight connections & security, walk T2A to T2B for lounge, walk T2B to T2A for LX departure?

which T2B lounge (AC, UA, SQ) is the best choice for a pleasant shower? main thing I want to avoid is a shower suite without a toilet.

entering the UK has the compelling advantage on not having to walk two roundtrips between T2B & T2A and it doesn't require any additional security screening (security screening at flight connections center or for LHR origination flights is a wash). downside is entering the UK, which I assume is not so unpleasant with J fastrack & a US passport machine-readable.

Last edited by Colin; Dec 11, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
on a 4 hour morning LHR connection UA to LX in J, is it a better choice to enter the UK to shower at the arrivals lounge OR to shower at one of the T2B lounges?

arrive T2B, walk to T2A for flight connections & security, walk T2A to T2B for lounge, walk T2B to T2A for LX departure?

which T2B lounge (AC, UA, SQ) is the best choice for a pleasant shower? main thing I want to avoid is a shower suite without a toilet.

entering the UK has the compelling advantage on not having to walk two roundtrips between T2B & T2A and it doesn't require any additional security screening (security screening at flight connections center or for LHR origination flights is a wash). downside is entering the UK, which I assume is not so unpleasant with J fastrack & a US passport machine-readable.
Errrr… I’m not exactly sure about all your questions but I would connect T2-T2. No advantage to enter the UK, IMO.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by seanp7
Errrr… I’m not exactly sure about all your questions but I would connect T2-T2. No advantage to enter the UK, IMO.
OP has plenty of time and really wants a shower with a toilet in it - OP will be in T2A after arrival - and is asking what’s the best way to do it…. The arrivals lounge is right there and will make it pretty easy - I’m not familiar if the other lounges have toilets in their showers - so I agree with OP assumption to enter UK - shower - and then head upstairs to LX flight….

OP don’t forget LH has a lounge in T2A….
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: *

I would exit and go to the arrivals lounge. Much quieter and immediate access to a shower. Shower does have toilet and they can press your clothes if you need it. Then can have leisurely breakfast with choices from ala carte menu, watch BBC morning news and then head back through fast track security (though not as fast these days) and then go to the LH lounge and wait for LX flight. I don't think.worth heading to T2B and back for the UC or SQ lounge.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Agree with ani90 above, I would exit into the UK and use the arrival lounge. Couple of caveats:
  • It does close at 2PM, and I think they stop access at 1PM, though you should confirm both.
  • If you are travelling during Peak Holiday (Dec 23-26 and/or Dec 28-31), the UK Border Force (Immigration) has planned to strike. On those dates, it would be much better to stay airside.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agree with ani90 above, I would exit into the UK and use the arrival lounge. Couple of caveats:
  • It does close at 2PM, and I think they stop access at 1PM, though you should confirm both.
  • If you are travelling during Peak Holiday (Dec 23-26 and/or Dec 28-31), the UK Border Force (Immigration) has planned to strike. On those dates, it would be much better to stay airside.
almost an hour to get through the Fast Track security line today… regular security line queue was out the door and stretched 4 times the length of the terminal!!!!

United Lounge closed due to no hot water…

ramp is finally complete:

Photo taken from SilverKris lounge due to United Club being closed
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21

Yes…your best bet is to stay airside. That’s where my money is. Things at LHR can go sideways faster than…well, faster than I could get this reply deleted by the FT police if I got political. Stay airside!
Xyzzy and Dyce like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2022 at 1:46 pm Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.