Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:23 pm

I really don't understand why anyone would vent /rant first instead of call UA first. If UA didn't rectify things after, then post & let the FT community help from there.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Can you post the Chinese email you received here?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I really don't understand why anyone would vent /rant first instead of call UA first. If UA didn't rectify things after, then post & let the FT community help from there.
The OP was at 12:18 CT. He had time to post three messages before he actually called UA, only to find his call answered in less than a minute and UA well on the way to rebooking him for something caused by another carrier.

Yes, it would have been nice to find the email in English, but it's hardly crazy that the system selected Chinese given that the operating carrier is a Chinese carrier. It is also clear that receiving the email triggered OP to do what he presumably would have done had it been in English.

This thread is about a solution looking for a problem. Why not have called UA first and then posted if there was a problem?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Often1
it's hardly crazy that the system selected Chinese given that the operating carrier is a Chinese carrier.
Sure it is. Where do they get the email address? From your profile, which also contains your country of residence. Not to mention that the flight was merely transiting China. Of the possible languages associated with the booking (American English, Chinese, Australian English), Chinese was the poorest choice.

Why not have called UA first and then posted if there was a problem?
FT would be empty if people did that. But in this case, it seems the original complaint was the Chinese email, not the cancellation, and calling United wouldn't fix that.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:50 pm

This thread is about a solution looking for a problem. Why not have called UA first and then posted if there was a problem?
This seems to be the m.o., especially on this forum, as of late.
Instead of making a simple phone call (which was answered w/i 1 min by an agent that rates an "A") and getting the itin straightened out, the "Friendly Skies" are falling thread is manufactured.

Air China/China Air (who cares) obviously sent the e-mail to the OP via UAL and he knew that he needed to call res. Once things were straighten out to his satisfaction his NEW thread could have provided the listening audience with the satisfactorily results.

I don't care if I get an e-mail in Swahili from an airline, once I go to my reservations and see a schedule change the first thing I'm doing is calling the booking airline. The last thing I'm doing is posting superfluous, acerbic comments prior to making a simple call to UA res.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Yes, was SYD-PEK-LAX on May 29-30.
If you had a paid ticket with a stopover in PEK I would ask UA to make that happen for you. There should be other partner airlines they can work with and w/ a C-class ticket there should be some sort of availability.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
+1

I'd save my outrage until it was confirmed I actually had reason to be outraged.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sure it is. Where do they get the email address? From your profile, which also contains your country of residence. Not to mention that the flight was merely transiting China. Of the possible languages associated with the booking (American English, Chinese, Australian English), Chinese was the poorest choice.

FT would be empty if people did that. But in this case, it seems the original complaint was the Chinese email, not the cancellation, and calling United wouldn't fix that.
If OP had posted, "I got an email in Chinese from UA, but I don't read Chinese.... what should I do?" My advice would have been the same. Call UA.

But, to make this out as some major fail isn't the case.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: VAG
If OP had posted, "I got an email in Chinese from UA, but I don't read Chinese.... what should I do?" My advice would have been the same. Call UA.

But, to make this out as some major fail isn't the case.
Really? Have customer service expectations slipped so far?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You are a very trusting person. My SOP to receiving any email from any source in a foreign language is to report it as SPAM or phishing and delete it without opening. If United is sending these emails, it's exactly the same as sending no notification at all.

The fact that it allegedly came from United is a red herring. It's trivial to spoof a return address.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Sure it is. Where do they get the email address? From your profile, which also contains your country of residence.
The profile also includes one's language preference. Therefore, I disagree with making excuses for the UA system sending an email in Chinese.

Yes, it would have been nice to find the email in English, but it's hardly crazy that the system selected Chinese given that the operating carrier is a Chinese carrier.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Sure it is. Where do they get the email address? From your profile, which also contains your country of residence....
And United MileagePlus has had us at our home address in MN since we joined 8+ years ago, ditto for CO OnePass (both ex Plats) for 5+ years.

One of my coworkers is from China, and she read the email earlier. What's strange is that it was written as a confirmation of my cancellation, and the bottom of the HTML version (I only saw the text version earlier) has one line in English at the bottom: "This one-time e-mail was sent to confirm your ticket cancellation on united.com." I received a PM from someone who had received a similar email, and in his/her case there apparently was a fraudulent cancellation originating from an IP address in China.

So, keep an eye on your Air China itins.

Originally Posted by keepssmile
Can you post the Chinese email you received here?
Then I'd have to go back to my coworker & have her vet it for personal info. She's gone home for the day.

You are a very trusting person. My SOP to receiving any email from any source in a foreign language is to report it as SPAM or phishing and delete it without opening.
Good intuition, I will run the headers through SpamCop.

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Really? Have customer service expectations slipped so far?
Apparently.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Good intuition, I will run the headers through SpamCop.
Came from coair.com at 74.202.77.44, if reported as spam, reports would only go to [email protected], so the email appears to be legit and to originate within UA/CO.

tw telecom holdings, inc. TWTC-NETBLK-9 (NET-74-202-0-0-1) 74.202.0.0 - 74.203.255.255
Continental Airlines TWTC-CONTINENTAL (NET-74-202-77-0-1) 74.202.77.0 - 74.202.77.255

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 31, 2014 at 7:50 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
My United.com email notification preferences randomly got set to Spanish about 2 months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar glitch set yours to Chinese.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You are a very trusting person. My SOP to receiving any email from any source in a foreign language is to report it as SPAM or phishing and delete it without opening. If United is sending these emails, it's exactly the same as sending no notification at all.
That's a rather narrow world view. Calling UA seems like a more reasonable response.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell
That's a rather narrow world view. Calling UA seems like a more reasonable response.
It's actually the view of someone who arrives at an airport 1/2-way around the world only to find no aircraft because there's no flight.

Or almost as bad, but perhaps more galling, waiting a week to call in and finding out the there is no longer any open award space on CA and that there is nothing UA can do to force CA to do anything, so they redeposit your miles as a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.