The future of the LAX hub?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 17, 3:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 2, 17, 10:30 am

I would think loss of the 4 CO gates would impact UA's subsequent strategies out of LAX. It's been so long I've forgotten if the loss was voluntary or mandated...

Edit: Looking back at an old thread it looks like UA gave 'em up voluntarily (who gives up gates at LAX voluntarily?!?!?!?) and AA picked 'em up because of a standing deal w/ LAWA to obtain returned gates. That kind of restricted LAX plans going forward.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 2, 17 at 10:42 am
Old Dec 2, 17, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Looking back at an old thread it looks like UA gave 'em up voluntarily (who gives up gates at LAX voluntarily?!?!?!?)
Smisek/UA.

Absolutely idiotic. Now their big operational problem at LAX is not enough gates.
Old Dec 2, 17, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I would think loss of the 4 CO gates would impact UA's subsequent strategies out of LAX. It's been so long I've forgotten if the loss was voluntary or mandated...

Edit: Looking back at an old thread it looks like UA gave 'em up voluntarily (who gives up gates at LAX voluntarily?!?!?!?) and AA picked 'em up because of a standing deal w/ LAWA to obtain returned gates. That kind of restricted LAX plans going forward.
United got the US gates at ORD in return.
Old Dec 2, 17, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Perhaps UA is in position to get first dibs on T9, which is going to happen, someday someway.
Old Dec 2, 17, 11:23 pm

T9, an airside only terminal, east across Sepulveda seviced by T7 landside very smart and reasonable way to expand gates at LAX.

with the removal of the LAX gate cap a couple years ago, seems pretty inevitable
Old Dec 11, 17, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Rumor has it a new UA LAX longhaul will be announced shortly for a summer start. Elsewhere, some are speculating that it will actually be a resumption of a former UA flight. Expecting 787-9 service.

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
Old Dec 11, 17, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Rumor has it a new UA LAX longhaul will be announced shortly for a summer start. Elsewhere, some are speculating that it will actually be a resumption of a former UA flight. Expecting 787-9 service.

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
BKK? Please...
Old Dec 11, 17, 3:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
If true, I would go HKG or ICN. If it weren't for the limit on China-US flights, I would add PEK. FRA is less likely just because of the JV with LH.
Old Dec 11, 17, 4:45 pm

Hoping for TPE or ICN
Old Dec 11, 17, 4:52 pm

Ho Chi Mihn?
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:22 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
I wouldn't personally bet on CDG or GRU. CDG has been a difficult destination outside of AF and TN (Air Tahiti). AA had LAX-CDG service but axed it.

GRU at one point had DL (not daily), KE (also not daily) and AA. Now it's down to just AA nonstop, although daily. Brazil market may not have recovered enough yet for a 2x daily nonstop in that market. It's a nice trip though, I've done it with AA and really enjoyed the length of the flight in both directions.

Possible HND?
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
My first guess would be HKG. I'd personally like to see FRA . . . there's still relatively little UA lift west coast to Europe.

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
BKK? Please...
That would take all the fun out of planning multi-carrier, separate ticket connections.

Originally Posted by dll View Post
Possible HND?
No slots.
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
PLEASE be ICN.... (but there's already a lot of competition on the route, SQx1, OZx2, KALx2) but there is a lot of LAX traffic to ICN.

Other than that, South East Asia would be nice.
Old Dec 11, 17, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
this is what i predicted last time there was a new LAX route rumor this past spring (LAX-SIN was the result - nobody predicted that!):

my money would be on HKG. before AA added the route in the past year, CX was the only airline that flew it.

all LAX transoceanic flying is done with the 789; this would put UA at a competitive disadvantage relative to CX/AA's premium cabins on a mature route that has plenty of HVFs. i don't see UA flying a 77W in a W-pattern just to get polaris seats on the route. UA's fleets (and even sub-fleets) are becoming increasingly 'locked' to one or two hubs.

if not HKG, then SGN would be my second choice. it fits the 'long, thin' profile of the 787, there's no nonstop competition on the route, and i believe LA has the largest vietnamese expat population in the US. 2015 PDEW for LAX-SGN was 279, compared to 174 for SFO-SGN (link to .pdf of OAG report). we all know UA is a lot more willing to start TPAC service ex-SFO compared to LAX, so new LAX additions probably require significantly better figures like that. vietnam's economy may have developed to the point where UA feels comfortable that they can fill the front of the plane, which is essential for longhaul routes.

BKK is my distant third place pick. the only reason why i even bother to mention BKK is that 1+ years ago, a LAX GS flyer with a solid reputation on this board said that he/she was told by a GS agent that a return to BKK for UA was imminent. OTOH, that was still in the smisek era, and a lot has changed since then.
Old Dec 11, 17, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton View Post
this is what i predicted last time there was a new LAX route rumor this past spring (LAX-SIN was the result - nobody predicted that!):
HKG certainly fills a hole in the route network, but they should fly a 77W on that if they want to compete - otherwise, it's not even worth bothering.

I just wonder if it's going to be a new location at all - the newest Dreamliner route adds have been seasonal routes to Europe out of SFO (MUC, ZRH) and longhaul routes to existing destinations (SFO/LAX-SIN, IAH-SYD). It seems like outside of the seasonal TATL routes, UA is more focused on bulking up service to existing destinations where they already have personnel, etc. in place. If I had to guess with regards to this rumor, I would pick LAX-FRA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: