FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by minnyfly
You can't have it both ways. In 2010 UA/CO were not merged, and it wasn't even announced until May. So that capacity is not from a merged level. It would be proper to then compare against pre-merger AA/US. As it shows, UA/CO wasn't as large as AA/US. So UA/CO never really had a chance at #1 in the long-run unless they significantly grew and/or AA/US shrank before the latter hooked up. To call them #1 in that time period is more based on a technicality than actual growth or decline of a market.

If you look at raw traffic and not percentages, you will see that UA has not "been in a downward spiral" at LAX, has not "substantially pulled down capacity", nor implemented "ongoing cuts". Those are false statements. Even if you give all SkyWest flying to the UA banner in 2010, which is not accurate, UA is off only 10% at LAX. The likely truth is that UA is somewhere in the flat to down 6 or 7% range for traffic LAX since 2010. If UA worked for a customer back then, it likely works for them today.
Merger was announced in may 2010, so 2010 is the baseline market share, which is why I used it. First year of cross-over benefits (and a combined bigger network) was 2011, and Jeff was in charge in 2011. So adding in 2011 we get:
2010: UA + CO17.6%; AA+Eagle 15.9%; DAL 11.1%, SWA 11.6%, SkyWest 4.3%.
2011: UA+CO 16.26% market share; AA+Eagle 16.48% share; DL 10.79% market share. Skywest (mostly UA, but some DL) ; 6.13%
2013: AA/Eagle: 17%, US 3% (20% total) UA 16.3%, DAL 13.5%, SWA 11%, AS 5% , SkyWest 3.5%.
2017: AA: 18.8%; DL 16.7%; UA 14%; SWA 11.6%; AS+VX 8.5% [Skywest is now included in UA and DL]

They were #1 when Jeff took over, fell to #2 in 2013, and are now #3 .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 2, 2017 at 12:08 am Reason: unneeded, snarky comment removed
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Your argument continues to be based on a technicality because UA/CO merged before AA/US. It's like saying DL was the largest airline before UA/CO and then AA/US merged, and now they must be shrinking because they're #2. Even when combining all carriers, neither the combined AA or UA is a clear #1 in the 2010-2011 timeframe. They wobble back and forth.

UA was a strong #2 at LAX before Jeff set foot on the property (2009). They're a strong #3 today. Their LAX traffic has been remained remarkably steady for more than a decade. The narrative that they're shrinking and collapsing because of Jeff simply isn't true. Their fall from #1 due to a growing AA happened well before Jeff was in the picture.

Last edited by minnyfly; Dec 2, 2017 at 1:17 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I would think loss of the 4 CO gates would impact UA's subsequent strategies out of LAX. It's been so long I've forgotten if the loss was voluntary or mandated...

Edit: Looking back at an old thread it looks like UA gave 'em up voluntarily (who gives up gates at LAX voluntarily?!?!?!?) and AA picked 'em up because of a standing deal w/ LAWA to obtain returned gates. That kind of restricted LAX plans going forward.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 2, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Looking back at an old thread it looks like UA gave 'em up voluntarily (who gives up gates at LAX voluntarily?!?!?!?)
Smisek/UA.

Absolutely idiotic. Now their big operational problem at LAX is not enough gates.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I would think loss of the 4 CO gates would impact UA's subsequent strategies out of LAX. It's been so long I've forgotten if the loss was voluntary or mandated...

Edit: Looking back at an old thread it looks like UA gave 'em up voluntarily (who gives up gates at LAX voluntarily?!?!?!?) and AA picked 'em up because of a standing deal w/ LAWA to obtain returned gates. That kind of restricted LAX plans going forward.
United got the US gates at ORD in return.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Perhaps UA is in position to get first dibs on T9, which is going to happen, someday someway.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:23 pm

T9, an airside only terminal, east across Sepulveda seviced by T7 landside very smart and reasonable way to expand gates at LAX.

with the removal of the LAX gate cap a couple years ago, seems pretty inevitable
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Rumor has it a new UA LAX longhaul will be announced shortly for a summer start. Elsewhere, some are speculating that it will actually be a resumption of a former UA flight. Expecting 787-9 service.

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764
Rumor has it a new UA LAX longhaul will be announced shortly for a summer start. Elsewhere, some are speculating that it will actually be a resumption of a former UA flight. Expecting 787-9 service.

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
BKK? Please...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
If true, I would go HKG or ICN. If it weren't for the limit on China-US flights, I would add PEK. FRA is less likely just because of the JV with LH.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:45 pm

Hoping for TPE or ICN
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Ho Chi Mihn?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:22 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
I wouldn't personally bet on CDG or GRU. CDG has been a difficult destination outside of AF and TN (Air Tahiti). AA had LAX-CDG service but axed it.

GRU at one point had DL (not daily), KE (also not daily) and AA. Now it's down to just AA nonstop, although daily. Brazil market may not have recovered enough yet for a 2x daily nonstop in that market. It's a nice trip though, I've done it with AA and really enjoyed the length of the flight in both directions.

Possible HND?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
My first guess would be HKG. I'd personally like to see FRA . . . there's still relatively little UA lift west coast to Europe.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
BKK? Please...
That would take all the fun out of planning multi-carrier, separate ticket connections.

Originally Posted by dll
Possible HND?
No slots.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: None anymore
PLEASE be ICN.... (but there's already a lot of competition on the route, SQx1, OZx2, KALx2) but there is a lot of LAX traffic to ICN.

Other than that, South East Asia would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.