Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not much to add here that hasn't already been said, except to commend the OP for coming out in Post 1 of this thread and stating all the facts. Most of these threads start out with something like 'UA closed my account, I didn't do anything wrong'and take 5 or so pages of post to get to the point where they will admit the issue at hand.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does seem this is a little too drastic. I think in the airline ranks, some regret having the whole loyalty program scheme and they try to get rid of the customer one at a time....
Old May 26, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Tough to hear about all those lost miles and upgrades. That certainly does not sound fun.

But you broke the rules clearly and UA took the right course of action. Best action for you here on out, like others have said, is to plead for reinstatement. Good luck.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UAL250
Tough to hear about all those lost miles and upgrades. That certainly does not sound fun.

But you broke the rules clearly and UA took the right course of action. Best action for you here on out, like others have said, is to plead for reinstatement. Good luck.
No, jettison of a high spending long time GS/1K member for one sold certificate is not the right course of action. In essence, they just fired a customer who is likely spending 30K+ a year - is that proportional to the crime? They could have just canceled the GPUs from the account and issued a stern warning that the next time, the account is closed and the relationship terminated.

Of course this is the airline that gives a Kettle a F seat for the same cost as a couple checked bags, so their ability to account for both hard and soft costs is very suspect - as is their logical and critical thinking.

So now this customer will likely take their high spend to DL or AA, probably with a status match, and UA can sit back with a smug face and feel happy the rules were enforced with absolute certainty.

Old May 26, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Why, are people just giving these to random people? When I have used miles or upgrade certificates, it has always been only to immediate family or very close friends. If I can no longer give my certificate to Joe Schmo it doesn't hurt me at all.
Not random, but I'll ask friends and coworkers (and even friends of coworkers…) if I've got a cert that's going to expire before I can use it.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
...If UA really wants this to stop, they should make these rules more clear such as bolding it on the ecert....
This will not "really" stop it. Persons caught will still claim ignorance (truthful or not).

Originally Posted by bocastephen
...So now this customer will likely take their high spend to DL or AA, probably with a status match, and UA can sit back with a smug face and feel happy the rules were enforced with absolute certainty.

...and half of those jettisoned from AA or DL for selling certs will find their way to UA, probably with a status match, and DL/AA can sit back with a smug face and feel happy the rules were enforced with absolute certainty.

It's not a one-way street from UA. Probably a zero-sum exchange of non-compliant customers. If so, the pain falls mainly on the violators.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 27, 2017 at 12:08 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old May 27, 2017, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Unknown to many, there are actually dozens of highly trained detective/super sleuth units throughout the system. These gumshoes usually stay hot on the track of scofflaws that they have expertise in sniffing out and capturing, and once they nap em they throw the book at them. In fact, in the past 20 years, I have never heard of anyone getting a break from these bloodhounds once they nab their man.

[off topic text edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 27, 2017 at 8:57 pm Reason: Per FT Rules re posting on topic.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not even sure it is appropriate for me to post to this thread... I am not a frequent flyer nor do I live in the USA so don't fly UA but on reading this thread I am sitting here outraged that such punitive action was taken by UA.

Of course, I have to agree with the majority here that the rules were clearly broken and so while I feel for the OP he can't be too surprised at what happened. Airlines must clip this kind of thing in the bud if they are to stand any chance of controlling potential losses. But surely, with such a valuable customer, there should be a degree of flexibility? It makes sense to take significant and effective action immediately but now the point has been made and so IMO it would make good business sense for UA to at least restore some of his status.

On a more general note... how many of us (and I very much include me in this) actually read T&Cs when buying or using a service, joining a club etc? Not many of us I would guess. Ignorance is no defense so perhaps this is a head-up for us all to, may be, take a read through the T&Cs of the various services we use... I know I will.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

--- and the ultimate reason --- UA depends on a high level of breakage on these ETC, that substantial number of the ETC are never used. This approach change that equation and cost UA far more than any commission / transfer fee.
Agree. United's ecert "generosity" is predicated upon the 75% breakage rate.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
And this was truthfully the first time?

That's a little concerning about eBay then: they're giving away (or selling) our personal information for non law enforcement purposes. If you have anymore info on how they found you I'd be very curious.

I would think UA would reinstate you, but agree with others to apologize profusely and admit you messed up.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by jsheer
I have never experienced a Customer Service situation like this with any retailer, service provider, travel and entertainment organization or other company of this nature. I do understand their policy and respect organizational policies, however disrepecting 20 years of loyalty and hundreds of Ks of flights is something I find very hard to comprehend.
I'm not sure that you'd want to use that first sentence in further dealings with UA. The only way that you could even have faced a similar situation with another company would be to have violated their T&Cs, too, or done something similarly against the rules. Surely you don't want to say, in essence "I've messed up with other companies, too, but they've forgiven me."

Last edited by Giggleswick; May 27, 2017 at 3:21 am
Old May 27, 2017, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps if it cause hundreds of others to not do such a things. If everyone knew UA gave second chances, then many would traffic these certs until they got caught the first time. This is the reason for instituting zero tolerance, to send a message (not to the person but to the wider audience) , don't even think about this.
No, jettison of a high spending long time GS/1K member for one sold certificate is not the right course of action. In essence, they just fired a customer who is likely spending 30K+ a year - is that proportional to the crime? They could have just canceled the GPUs from the account and issued a stern warning that the next time, the account is closed and the relationship terminated.

So now this customer will likely take their high spend to DL or AA, probably with a status match, and UA can sit back with a smug face and feel happy the rules were enforced with absolute certainty.

I also agree that forfeiture of status, miles and instruments is a big enough deterrent for the rest of us (frequent flyers). Keeping the OP's account open gives UA an easy passage to continue to get valuable revenue from him. (Whilst getting those HVFs kicked out from AA and DL for the same reason).

If they repeat the offence then they should be kicked out for life.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
No, jettison of a high spending long time GS/1K member for one sold certificate is not the right course of action
<snipped>
But, it was one CAUGHT attempt at selling. That doesn't mean the airline is not going to think he hasn't done it multiple times before. If not caught before selling it on EBAY, he might have continue to sell multiple certs until getting caught.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Are you referring to an e-cert? Or do you somehow have a paper SWU?
ECERT - it is 3 pages long, printed on boarding card stuff

http://imgur.com/a/aWdfY

I got a security token error trying to upload them here, and imgur sucks, but you get the idea.....number 6 Is the important one...

Last edited by Hipplewm; May 27, 2017 at 5:25 am
Old May 27, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, UA PLT
Learning from the painful lessons of others is why many of us have been coming here for years. I think the advice is clear--you have no negotiating leverage so go in with full humility and let them decide whose rules you will be flying under--UA or another carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.