Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by seenitall
Here's a thought. If a MP participant sells GPUs or RPUs and UA finds out, it can give the member two choices.
  1. It confiscates the instruments and closes the member's account; or
  2. It notifies that IRS that this member has unreported income and may be committing tax fraud.
Participant's choice.
While I am all in favor of sending 1099s to businesses and individuals who may be underreporting income or overdeducting expenses (e.g. to a property owner that I leased from who refused to compensate me for my attached equipment and improvements when the lease ended but who, deducted and depreciated said improvements), to go a step further and imply that they are committing fraud is unnecessary and possibly legally problematic.
Miggles and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 23, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
While I am all in favor of sending 1099s to businesses and individuals who may be underreporting income or overdeducting expenses (e.g. to a property owner that I leased from who refused to compensate me for my attached equipment and improvements when the lease ended but who, deducted and depreciated said improvements), to go a step further and imply that they are committing fraud is unnecessary and possibly legally problematic.
I am certainly not a lawyer but doesn't "do this and I won't report a crime" / "don't do this and I'll report a crime" where "this" is voluntarily forfeit instruments coercion that's getting dangerously close to crossing the line into extortion?
Miggles, Kevin AA and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's leave the tax issues for another forum.
Returning to our regularly scheduled topic

Thanks

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Since Day One of the Airline Frequent Flyer Programs, you earn miles to be used to a free ticket.
Prefer not to embrace and spread the notion that it is a "free ticket". There are costs for award travel, it's just that the airline coughs them up (or they compensate OAL). For some misinformed agents, the incorrect notion that is free also seems to justify differential treatment of pax traveling on an award because they're "just on a free ticket". Ironically, the same agents often don't extend that judgment of "free tickets" to non-revs.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But spoilage is what makes the system semi-workable
Airlines prefer the term breakage

Originally Posted by eng3
I've met many people who are unaware that they can't sell their miles.
It's not "their" miles to begin with. IIRC it was made very clear when I signed up for UAMP many years ago that I don't own any of the miles, which also explains why those miles can expire, why the expiry date for already awarded miles can change, and why you can't sell them. Not sure how that idea of personal miles ownership came to be. I'm guessing it's the travel/loyalty blogs with their affiliate articles for credit cards again?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Not to be smart but "common sense" is not common.

Warnings or more notifications by UA should be given considering the outcome for a violation is so severe.
It’s clearly in the terms and conditions (“10. Prohibition of sale or barter.”) Where else would they possibly need it?

United doesn’t need to be providing a constant moral compass, which will be ignored by those breaking the rules anyway.
lincolnjkc, narvik and JimInOhio like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I tend to understand that Joe Once A Year Flyer
But were not talking about Joe once a year.

Originally Posted by StarTrek1989
7 years premier 1K, almost million, 250k miles balance
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:46 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UACompliance probably takes these seemingly drastic actions in large part to deter; they likely know word gets around as to the attitude they take when they catch people. Those who 'unintentionally' violate the rules are punished equally severely; think of them as necessary collateral damage? Not knowing the rules and not breaking the rules are two different things after all . . .
fastair likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
Not knowing the rules and not breaking the rules are two different things after all . . .
They are and they aren't though... there's no mens rea test as to if the rules have been violated or not. If you chose to participate in a program and haven't availed yourself of the opportunity to familiarize yourself* with the rules/guidelines, ultimately it is on you if the rules get broken.

If you pass a speed limit sign doing 70 when the sign shows 30 and an officer pulls you over you're guilty of speeding. It doesn't matter if you didn't see the sign or if you saw the sign and ignored it.

I have a bit more sympathy in this case for those who truly "didn't know" (didn't bother to read), but ultimately the rule is broken and UACompliance doesn't have any reasonable way to confirm if the ignorance is feigned or actual. And it's not a hidden rule either.

*yourself, including in this case, anyone you entrust access to your account to, eg. allegedly in the most recent OP's case.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question of whether it is "common sense" or "should have read the fine print" really is not relevant. Bottom line is that one is free to simply check those boxes certifying that one has read & understood and accept various matters without reading them. But, one cannot later argue that because one did not read the material, it somehow does not apply.

This is just a business arrangement. It is governed by a contract.
lincolnjkc and Visconti like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:36 am
J S

Originally Posted by Mbenz
How did they figure out this was the case I wonder? Was there a lot of activity between accounts?

I typically help manage my wife's, 2 kids and in laws at times accounts, basically because they don't have interest in it and understand all the processes. I sometimes sponsor them with miles and upgrades though not the other way around. Certainly hope this isn't an issue?
I admit to managing my one year old's account. I also manage his dirty diapers. Pretty sure United won't have a problem with my doing either one.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by J S
I admit to managing my one year old's account. I also manage his dirty diapers. Pretty sure United won't have a problem with my doing either one.
I'm sure they won't mind until you start selling your one-year-old's upgrade instruments online.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:23 am
J S

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I'm sure they won't mind until you start selling your one-year-old's upgrade instruments online.
I started reading that and thought it was going to be, "I'm sure they won't mind until you start selling your on-year-old's dirty diapers online."

Miggles, wrp96 and JimInOhio like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:35 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The question of whether it is "common sense" or "should have read the fine print" really is not relevant. Bottom line is that one is free to simply check those boxes certifying that one has read & understood and accept various matters without reading them. But, one cannot later argue that because one did not read the material, it somehow does not apply.

This is just a business arrangement. It is governed by a contract.
I don't think that fact is up for debate.

I think the question in this thread is, "is it good practice for UA to take the harsh approach they take based on how badly it offends some people?" They are not obligated to stand on their contractual rights. UA can sanction however they want, harsh or not-- that's what the contract says.

That said, I defended UA's harsh approach above and gave my reasoning.
iluv2fly, RNE and narvik like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Ari
I don't think that fact is up for debate.

I think the question in this thread is, "is it good practice for UA to take the harsh approach they take based on how badly it offends some people?" They are not obligated to stand on their contractual rights. UA can sanction however they want, harsh or not-- that's what the contract says.

That said, I defended UA's harsh approach above and gave my reasoning.
One thing that militates in favor of a harsh approach here is that despite what everyone who gets caught claims, I think most of the people UA is going after know exactly what they are doing.

The thing about situations like this- which arise in the law as well as in business contracts- is that a lot of people assume that just because they claim innocent intent, everyone has to believe them. I can't tell you the number of times someone has said to me "I'll just tell them X if I get caught" and I have to respond with exactly that- you can say anything you want, but that doesn't mean they have to credit your explanation. Indeed, many, many people are actually serving prison sentences where they figured the jury would have to believe their "innocent" explanation for what they did.

Yes, I understand that it is possible for someone to get caught up in this because they didn't read the program rules and just figured they could sell an award they weren't going to use or something. But I don't think that's a reasonable explanation of what most of these folks are doing. Rather, they just figure they won't get caught, the same way a lot of people assume that they won't get caught when they are doing something wrong.
iluv2fly and Boraxo like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
One thing that militates in favor of a harsh approach here is that despite what everyone who gets caught claims, I think most of the people UA is going after know exactly what they are doing.

The thing about situations like this- which arise in the law as well as in business contracts- is that a lot of people assume that just because they claim innocent intent, everyone has to believe them. I can't tell you the number of times someone has said to me "I'll just tell them X if I get caught" and I have to respond with exactly that- you can say anything you want, but that doesn't mean they have to credit your explanation. Indeed, many, many people are actually serving prison sentences where they figured the jury would have to believe their "innocent" explanation for what they did.

Yes, I understand that it is possible for someone to get caught up in this because they didn't read the program rules and just figured they could sell an award they weren't going to use or something. But I don't think that's a reasonable explanation of what most of these folks are doing. Rather, they just figure they won't get caught, the same way a lot of people assume that they won't get caught when they are doing something wrong.
I fully agree. It's hard to imagine United is looking for reasons to throw customers out of the MileagePlus program. Instead, I have to think they are looking for true repeat violators of their rules.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.