Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:12 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by pilotax
Hi all,
I flew UA yesterday on route LHR-SFO-PHX. When I arrived in SFO (after a not so nice flight...no wifi, issues with backseat screens...) I didn't find my luggage. I contacted Lost&Found in SFO and I was told to proceed to PHX where, eventually, I would have found my baggage. In PHX there was nothing. Lost and found opened a claim and I was told that my baggage was checked in SFO after my arrival from LHR and it's strange it disappeared.
Tracking system says 'tracing process continues' and up to know is still missing. I am trying to understand which liability has United. I found conflicting pages.
One page says they're gonna pay 1500USD without any documentation after three days if still missing; this amount can be increased up to 3500 USD fo US internal or any other applicable amount for international. Other pages say that based on Montreal or Warsaw agreement they can be liable a number of SDR or an amount per pound up to 640 USD. No way to get in touch with UA, there's an IVR system and it doesn't provide any operator option.

Again no documentation other than a claim form

Does anyone have a fresh/updated info about what I should expect?

Thanks
S
I think the previous post explains everything?

If bags are delayed more than three days then your owed $1,500? I do not know what is confusing or flustering here. Unless (s)he got pamphlet for any reason other than a basic bag claim/delay? I never seen this form ever and I'm 1K for more than 3 years.

Based on what I read, there is no documentation required except a claim form with your basic info.

Last edited by cur; Mar 20, 2018 at 3:20 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by moops380
So what happens if they find your bag and deliver <72 hours later, but greater than when you need your stuff or minimum 6 hours. Your entire trip was a 3 day ski trip, where all your gear was in delayed luggage. From what I have gathered they should cover "reasonable expenses," but for such a trip this potentially means $500+ of clothing and perhaps $35+/day of rentals. Shopping last minute on-mountain ain't cheap. I am speaking about domestic USA travel only here, as Montreal convention applies in most int'l occurrences.
Nearly confronted that recently, as they lost/delayed bag about 36 hours for 3 day ski trip (arrived morning of second skiing day). Offered only $150 in comp the first day - hardly enough to get even a ski jacket. Sister had similar experience a couple of years ago, but with longer delay (I think it didn't arrive until 3rd full day), and she seemed to get reimbursed for pretty much a full new ski kit.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Here's a reasonably positive ending to a lost item. Flew to ICN last month. Realized I lost my keys somewhere, once I checked into the hotel room. Now on my keychain are some VERY hard to replace items...not to mention the hassle of it all! I filed a lost item form on UA.com. Never thinking I would ever hear back! Well day 2 or 3 after returning from ICN back to NYC, I got an very surprising email from UA ICN baggage claiming the found my keys. Now, they wouldn't send it back to me and I am not planning on returning to ICN anytime soon. So I arranged FedEx to return to me. ICN baggage was very responsive an helpful all along. And lo an behold...got them back 2 week after my loss.

Just a simple story of sometimes the system works even though you may doubt it.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Nine days since UA lost my luggage. Supposedly it’s on the delivery truck to my address today. Baggage center agent said compensation can and should be requested once it’s deliverd. Any thoughts on how much I should request?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Clincher
Nine days since UA lost my luggage. Supposedly it’s on the delivery truck to my address today. Baggage center agent said compensation can and should be requested once it’s deliverd. Any thoughts on how much I should request?
Depends on how much you had to spend to replace items while on travel. They won't pay for replacements on the home-bound trip, usually.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by transportprof
Depends on how much you had to spend to replace items while on travel. They won't pay for replacements on the home-bound trip, usually.
Bag was finally found in CLT from label on the inside of the luggage. Ended up being lost 10 days. Via EWR it was delivered to residence with all contents.
Baggage Service Center offered $200 voucher. After some discussion the amount topped at $1500
it was not my bag, it was for a friend that has silver status.

Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Delayed bag

What is standard compensation United is required to provide on delayed bags. How long before it kicks in etc. I am sure there is a thread on this but I can't find it and I am in a hurry
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t believe there is a standard that they need to provide immediately, though they are generally good to reimburse reasonable purchases required. Keep receipts and buy under the assumption that you may not get a refund. Have you checked your travel insurance policy? Montreal Convention won’t apply immediately.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don’t believe there is a standard that they need to provide immediately, though they are generally good to reimburse reasonable purchases required. Keep receipts and buy under the assumption that you may not get a refund. Have you checked your travel insurance policy? Montreal Convention won’t apply immediately.
depends. Reasonable purchases (I.e., toiletries and clothes) will only apply if you are in a city other than home, and usually only after a 24 hour delay., If your itinerary is a roundtrip flight from AAA-BBB-AAA and they delay the bag when you arrive back in AAA, because you are home, they generally will not cover. YMMV, I suppose.

either way, if you write in about the experience, they’ll generally throw some miles or an ETc to you.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If they can't find your checked bag within 3 days - you get $1,500 without documentation (includes value of bag and contents). For amounts above that, you'll need to provide documentation, up to $3,500 for US domestic claims.

Anything prior to the 3 day time frame is discretionary on a case by case basis.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

How about this: 10 day delay but the difference with our situation is that we're two passengers and each checked one bag are both were delayed. The reservation was made with one booking number. So what is unclear to me is if we are entitled to $1500 X 2 since we're two passengers and each had one bag delayed for 10 days, or just $1500 for both of us since the booking was made for both passengers.
To clarify a bit more, at the time the luggage was reported 'missing' at the airport, the clerk opened up one file. I'm wondering if she should have opened up separate files for each of us.

Have any of you had this issue involving two bags, two passengers?
Old May 9, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by pauli5500
How about this: 10 day delay but the difference with our situation is that we're two passengers and each checked one bag are both were delayed. The reservation was made with one booking number. So what is unclear to me is if we are entitled to $1500 X 2 since we're two passengers and each had one bag delayed for 10 days, or just $1500 for both of us since the booking was made for both passengers.
To clarify a bit more, at the time the luggage was reported 'missing' at the airport, the clerk opened up one file. I'm wondering if she should have opened up separate files for each of us.

Have any of you had this issue involving two bags, two passengers?
I would look at your baggage claim tags. If each bag is checked in to the respective passenger name, then you should be fine, however if they checked both bags under one passengers name.. that may be an issue. Good luck and keep us posted
Old May 15, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

I would look at your baggage claim tags. If each bag is checked in to the respective passenger name, then you should be fine, however if they checked both bags under one passengers name.. that may be an issue. Good luck and keep us posted
I got my $1500 but my wife didn't. I called Baggage Resolution and spoke with a supervisor who claims the policy of paying $1500 pertains to a household, not per passenger. We went back and forth and he got that my wife ticketed one suitcase and I ticketed another so: 2 ticketed passengers and each had their own bag so we're entitled to $1500 each...they have an internal policy which apparently is different than that online so they will resubmit the claim with an explanation but they are doubtful it will be approved. My external options are small claims court or DOT...Very simply: if United wished to limit compensation per household v. ticketed passenger, they should have stated such in their online policy. tehy didn't, and they should pay my wife $1500.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by pauli5500
I got my $1500 but my wife didn't. I called Baggage Resolution and spoke with a supervisor who claims the policy of paying $1500 pertains to a household, not per passenger. We went back and forth and he got that my wife ticketed one suitcase and I ticketed another so: 2 ticketed passengers and each had their own bag so we're entitled to $1500 each...they have an internal policy which apparently is different than that online so they will resubmit the claim with an explanation but they are doubtful it will be approved. My external options are small claims court or DOT...Very simply: if United wished to limit compensation per household v. ticketed passenger, they should have stated such in their online policy. tehy didn't, and they should pay my wife $1500.
My wife just got her $1500 check today. UA is my new, fave, airline.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Have a friend who flew IAH-ORD-CPH last Thursday on a united issued paid ticket with ORD-CPH operated by SAS. She arrived, neither of her checked bags did. Nearly 4 hours connection time in ORD, no significant delays on either flight, and another friend traveling on the exact same itinerary (different ticket) and checked in together, did receive her bag. Strange.

Anyway, I’ve read through the wiki but I am (thankfully) not super well versed in UA’s baggage policies. Friend contacted UA upon arrival in CPH who apparently informed her that the bags were handed over to SAS at ORD, so she should deal with them. Since then, my friend has been dealing almost exclusively with SAS who she describes as less than helpful.

1. I told my friend she should not let UA off the hook as they had the responsibility to get her and her bags from IAH to CPH. Since we are now on the 4th day, UA owes her $1500 ($3000 for two bags?) and that she should claim that. Am I right?

2. Any broader suggestions on how she should work to actually get her bags to her in CPH? She should deal with SAS as the delivering airline, but is there other reasons to call up UA?

3. Any other compensation for purchases she has had to make while in CPH like toiletries and clothes- refund from UA or SAS?

Thank you

Last edited by txaggiemiles; Jun 11, 2018 at 8:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.