Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All paid fares (and some award tickets) for elites are eligible on CPU flights. CPU flights are route dependent, see the table on Upgrades overview for what flights are CPU eligible.
I understand that all paid fares are eligible on CPU flights. But why do some have a special icon that says "CPU eligible" that denotes that you are eligible to get upgraded 48 hours in advance (as a Gold) versus what I believe to be only day of uprades for other tickets/fares??
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nygiants242
I understand that all paid fares are eligible on CPU flights. But why do some have a special icon that says "CPU eligible" that denotes that you are eligible to get upgraded 48 hours in advance (as a Gold) versus what I believe to be only day of uprades for other tickets/fares??
Two potential reasons
- it is not an CPU eligible route (see referenced table)
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rade-icon.html (a problem that seems to come and go randomly and appears not to effect the actual upgrades)
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Are you sure you're seeing a CPU eligible indication and not a "Premier instant upgrade" indication? I've never seen an indication of CPU eligibility on a booking screen - only on a booked itinerary. However, when booking you will see the premier instant upgrade indication for Y and B fares (and additionally M for 1Ks). On a booked itinerary you also won't see a CPU eligibility indication for a plane without a higher cabin (i.e. single cabin aircraft)
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Music2MyEars
Now I've determined that I need to go first class.

I have no status with UA.
One approach would be to see if you can change to a saver or standard first award. This will take extra miles but if you don't change the origin or destination there will be no change fee (unless you are withing 21 days of travel).
I do not believe this is correct. Reading the fee chart (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx) suggests it is a $75/ticket fee to change booked cabin, even outside of 21 days.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
I do not believe this is correct. Reading the fee chart (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx) suggests it is a $75/ticket fee to change booked cabin, even outside of 21 days.
There was my impression but recent discussion in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-footnote.html
and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...award-fee.html
and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
suggest many/most are not being charged.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:20 am

Help understanding MileagePlus please.

I have about 36k and my wife has 50k miles, we would be interested in using them to book a hotel in Orlando in 2015. I have contacted UA and been told that there is no way to make 1 booking using all the miles. I thought OK (well not really but what can I do!) I'll make 2 bookings one for 3 nights and one for 2 nights, using my wife's account I tried to make a 3 night booking and got the message that 50000 was not enough to make a booking costing 39000 miles. I am in the UK, am I not entitled to make hotel bookings using miles?

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by SandLake
... I have about 36k and my wife has 50k miles, we would be interested in using them to book a hotel in Orlando in 2015. I have contacted UA and been told that there is no way to make 1 booking using all the miles. I thought OK (well not really but what can I do!) I'll make 2 bookings one for 3 nights and one for 2 nights, using my wife's account I tried to make a 3 night booking and got the message that 50000 was not enough to make a booking costing 39000 miles. I am in the UK, am I not entitled to make hotel bookings using miles? ....
For some reason, many of the non-flight redemption options require the member to be an elite and/or a resident of the USA (for hotels it is broader -- and the UK is included.
Hotel Awards are available to a member who is both (a) a resident of one of the following countries and (b) a Premier member, a United MileagePlus co-branded Cardmember (domestic or international) or select general members. Eligibility is at the discretion of MileagePlus and may change at any time without notice. Each member must have sufficient MileagePlus miles in his or her account to complete the miles portion of his or her transaction.
For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...se-awards.html
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:53 am

Thanks for the help, WineCountryUA and sbm12. I appreciate the replies. Now I just have to figure out my plan...
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
I have a ticket cph-txl-fra-iah-ord-iah-fra-ham-cph in P class, purchased in September that went INVOL in October due to an impossible connection. I called and got it fixed, but lost a segment (txl). Can I get it cancelled without a change fee?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by gakke
I have a ticket cph-txl-fra-iah-ord-iah-fra-ham-cph in P class, purchased in September that went INVOL in October due to an impossible connection. I called and got it fixed, but lost a segment (txl). Can I get it cancelled without a change fee?
You purchased a ticket that due to a schedule change needed to be re-scheduled.
You called and rescheduled.
Now you want to use the original schedule change as a reason for a free cancellation?
And you have not flown any part of the trip yet.

Is that correct?

Given you accepted the reschedule, your bargaining position is weak. Further weakening your position, unless TXL was a stop or the departure - arrival time are significantly changed, the re-routing is not really an impediment to the trip.

So you can try and might find a willing agent but your grounds for a free cancellation needs a better case to be successful IMO.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:21 pm

Question United Lounges what rules?

First time using this forum so not at all familiar with it. Flying United Business class On Wednesday using award points to Buenos Aires. What is the lounge policy. It seems when reading there are two levels of lounges. Is that right? We have a five hour layover and really need a good lounge being seniors is sometimes not conducive to a long layover.
Where are lounges for Buenos Aires flights in Houston.
Also are they likely to downgrade us. I read that somewhere. I figure maybe they downgrade people using poings...Thanks for any and all help.
two really senior seniors. :-)
PLEASE REPLY..
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ejmmjm
First time using this forum so not at all familiar with it. Flying United Business class On Wednesday using award points to Buenos Aires. What is the lounge policy. It seems when reading there are two levels of lounges. Is that right? We have a five hour layover and really need a good lounge being seniors is sometimes not conducive to a long layover.
Also are they likely to downgrade us. I read that somewhere. I figure maybe they downgrade people using poings...Thanks for any and all help.
PLEASE REPLY..
You can access the United Club at IAH (Houston). There are several of them. I'd recommend the one in Terminal E both because it's the nicest and it's likely to be closest to your departure gate.

The likelihood you would be downgraded is very very small.

Enjoy your trip to Buenos Aires!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by ejmmjm
PLEASE REPLY..
I agree with Kacee, given the amount of time you have for your layover, go to the Terminal E United lounge (between gates E11 and E12). Because you are flying international business, you will get in free. That lounge is quite large, and also has showers
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
So ive made 1k this year and want to try out the GPUs. But seems that I have to use a certain fareclass (eg: W). That would bring my itinerary up about $600... which is like a 80% increase. Am I missing something here??? or is the GPU just really a scam to get you to spend more!?!?!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by buttking
Am I missing something here?
On some itineraries (notably Australia), the difference can be quite high, but on others it could be quite small or non-existent (i.e., W could be the lowest fare class available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.