Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Not eligible to use miles for Merchandise Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

When I visit the United Airlines merchandise rewards store at http://www.mileageplusawards.com/ual...hopMember=true
there is a message at the top of the page that says "You are not eligible to use miles for Merchandise and Auction Awards at this time. You may be eligible for other options such as newspapers, magazines, dining, and air awards. Please visit our Use Miles web page for more information".

When I try to redeem miles for a reward it also says that i am not eligible. why is my acc not eligible? how do I become eligible for rewards?

also it says the same thing when I try to rent a car and book hotel.

Last edited by Gamedude1921; Dec 11, 2012 at 8:00 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do you living in USA?
What is your MP postal address?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Do you living in USA?
What is your MP postal address?
Yes, i do. The site says that I need to be in the contiguous states. I am in 1 of the states. my state is maryland.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Buying merchandise w miles blocked?

I too recently received a miles expiration email. For some lame reason I forgot my HHonors account was linked to United, and I racked up about 21k miles.

I just got a passport refresh, and thought I would look at the merchandise I could buy with the miles. I picked the Tumi passport holder (10,000 miles), but got a message that I wasn't able to get the item, but to look at getting magazines instead.

Do you have to have status to get those items even though you have the miles?

Message I received:
You are not eligible to use miles for Merchandise and Auction Awards at this time. You may be eligible for other options such as newspapers, magazines, dining, and air awards. Please visit our Use Miles web page for more information _UABS
I am in CT, so I am not restricted per the limits posted:

Available to residents of the US, Puerto Rico and Guam, or the contiguous 48 US states only.

Last edited by relberger; Sep 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: United 1k
I actually got some information on this last week when aa non status family member also didn't have access. Based on terms and conditions, this feature is only available to premier members and chase card members...

1.4. Awards

Merchandise Awards and Headliners Auctions are available to Premier members and/or United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers who in each case are also members with a MileagePlus account address in the 48 contiguous United States.MileagePlus reserves the right to establish eligibility criteria for redemption of awards. The awards consist of any goods or services purchased by you, by buying or bidding, and sold, auctioned, awarded and distributed by independent partners that make available such awards directly to you via the MileagePlus site. Awards issued are subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program. MileagePlus, its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products and services of other participating companies and partners.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:42 pm

Question Eligibility for merchandise awards?

Hi all, I have two relatives that have similar MileagePlus account totals: about 15,000 and 19,000 miles. All earned on Star Alliance flights and credited to MP.

Both are living in the continental US.

Neither have any UA credit card.

However, only one has eligibility to use miles for Merchandise and Auction Awards. The other does not. When logging in, it says "You are not eligible to use miles for Merchandise and Auction Awards at this time. You may be eligible for other options such as newspapers, magazines, dining, and air awards. Please visit our Use Miles web page for more information." The only caveat listed on that page is "contiguous US only" which they are!

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA elite status?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:16 am

Thanks for the reply, but neither account has elite status. Moreover, just two months ago, both accounts could use miles for merchandise awards.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Earlier threads claim that one needs to prove eligibility in the contiguous US. Given that the address on either account is so, would there be another way needed to prove eligibility?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:29 pm

Have you tried accessing both accounts from the same computer?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
According to the T&C, neither account should have access:

http://www.mileageplusawards.com/ual...&%20Conditions

1.4. Awards

Merchandise Awards and Headliners Auctions are available to Premier members and/or United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers who in each case are also members with a MileagePlus account address in the 48 contiguous United States.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:07 pm

Oh well then, thanks. Yes, both accounts have been accessed from the same computer.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA
What's up with this?
My daughter's acct has about 25k miles expiring in Feb
We live in Ohio
I get the same error message - can't spend the miles?
I know it's not a lot of miles, but still...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Is she a Premier member or Chase cardholder?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Is she a Premier member or Chase cardholder?
Nope.
I'm both.
That doesn't help, I guess.
Just logged in as the hub too - he's not eligible to redeem either.

Is the status/card holder rule new?
This is bogus.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by 90046
Nope.
I'm both.
That doesn't help, I guess.
Just logged in as the hub too - he's not eligible to redeem either.

Is the status/card holder rule new?
This is bogus.
But you can still get an inexpensive (mile-wise) magazine subscription and keep it going, can't you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.