Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Not eligible to use miles for Merchandise Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not eligible to use miles for Merchandise Awards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But you can still get an inexpensive (mile-wise) magazine subscription and keep it going, can't you?
Or one of the many options in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html .
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:11 pm

False advertising

I have about 25,000 united miles about to expire. I received a merchandise rewards catalog. I thought great, I wouldn't lose my miles. I too had the same statement from the merchandise page that I was not eligible for merchandise. The only clear disqualifier on the website is if you don't live in the continental US (I do) & there is NOTHING on the merchandise guide that was mailed to ME that says I cannot use my miles for merchandise. Only when I called on the phone was I told about needing to be an elite member or have the credit card. I would call this false advertising & pretty crappy of United.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, travellove14
Originally Posted by travellove14
.... Only when I called on the phone was I told about needing to be an elite member or have the credit card. I would call this false advertising & pretty crappy of United.
T&Cs state

Merchandise Awards are available to Premier members and/or United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers who in each case are also members with a MileagePlus account address in the 48 contiguous United States.
Some of the others don't require Premier / elite status
Restaurant gift certs
Magazine / Newspaper
Flowers
Charities

Other options in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: 1k
If I had 25,000 miles about to expire I would either use them to fly someplace or transfer them to some one else.

To each their own if you got them to burn.
But the merchandise awards are some of the worst value for miles I have ever seen.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
If I had 25,000 miles about to expire I would either use them to fly someplace or transfer them to some one else.
You can save miles for $0.99.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15

To each their own if you got them to burn.
But the merchandise awards are some of the worst value for miles I have ever seen.
As mahasamatman pointed out, you can reset the expiration date to a year and a half in the future with just a minimal expenditure of miles.

And transferring miles to someone else is so expensive that it may not be worth it. It normally costs ~$400 to transfer just 25,000 miles (which is the annual transfer limit to a given account). A VERY bad deal -- potentially even worse than using miles to buy merchandise! @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.