Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Remember, many NH economy fares don't earn full mileage and E+ is still better than normal economy seats.
That's plain WRONG information.

All NH economy fares as long as it is TPAC and intra-asia had been earning full 100% of actual miles and 100% elite bonus (75/50/25 according to your status) for quite a while now because UA and NH has a JV agreement.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
That is why I switched to SQ.
I can understand people swtich to NH because of 100% actual miles and 100% elite bonus, but SQ ? You got no elite bonus and many cheap fares earn ZERO actual miles.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 21, 2013 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greggarious
Wow, between this and the devaluation, I'm strongly tempted to switch airlines. Only problem is that I'm near Chicago, so United is the main airline I'd end up flying with anyways... any suggestions on which to switch to?
I believe that AA can take you most places out of Chicago that UA can. They run a big operation there. I switched to AA from UA when the merger went down and it's a much better run airline and IMHO One World is a better alliance.

I recently burned some old miles to fly transpac F on UA and the experience was comically poor. United really seems to want to be the "global LCC". Try AA, if things don't change much with the merger, you'll like it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights?

Lordy. This doesn't affect me one bit, but it just seems petty. On another note, haven't paid drinks gone from $6 to $8 in about 3 years? *checks underlying rate of inflation as a % and looks confused*
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:49 am

Wow, between this and the devaluation, I'm strongly tempted to switch airlines. Only problem is that I'm near Chicago, so United is the main airline I'd end up flying with anyways... any suggestions on which to switch to?
AA is also based in ORD.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by spin88
Well, I for one don't see the "advantage" of E+ the 747 and 787 both have 17" wide seats, dog food, no booze, and the 747 has no IFE. Its worse than non-competitive. Only the 777 is semi decent in E+

I can take DAL (VIA SEA) or I can take a real airline (Japanese or Korean) that has better seats AND a 33 or 34" pitch. Taking the family to ASIA, I just booked ANA, its a 777-300ER and the pitch is "34".

At this point UAL is just a bottom feeder airline.
Have you actually flown NH's 77W ?

yes, the pitch is 34" but only if you don't recline your seat.

Oh btw, your seat is a fixed back seat, so it wouldn't recline anyway, your seat will actually slide forward to simulate the recline. Once you slide your seat forward, you basically will only have 31" of legroom. Ask yourself can you sleep upright on a 12+ hours flight first.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I believe that AA can take you most places out of Chicago that UA can. They run a big operation there. I switched to AA from UA when the merger went down and it's a much better run airline and IMHO One World is a better alliance.

I recently burned some old miles to fly transpac F on UA and the experience was comically poor. United really seems to want to be the "global LCC". Try AA, if things don't change much with the merger, you'll like it.
Not exactly, AA is still pretty weak in Asia out of ORD and I believe AA has no more HNL flights out of ORD anymore. Sure you can fly CX and JL as AA codeshare, but those codeshare flights last I checked require you to buy pretty expensive fares in order to earn miles.

TPAC F on UA ? Who would do that ? There are NH, and OZ, not to mention TG and LH thru TATL to Asia. Are you out of your mind ?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

Sure you can fly CX and JL as AA codeshare, but those codeshare flights last I checked require you to buy pretty expensive fares in order to earn miles.
So join AS Mileage Plan and credit your AA, DL*, CX and all their other partners to AS.

Aspirational trips? Good move.

Ability to upgrade international flights? Won't work --- but you'll get away from UA and have more flexibility to purchase fares based on cost rather than "loyalty" to someone who wants to not be loyal to you.

* May be temporary.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
When Spirit Airlines is your competition, I guess charging for drinks is pretty competitive!

You need to be more than tempted. You need to actually do it. If you continue to rationalize flying this "flyer-friendly" airline, you will continue to get the lack of service you get.

As a suggestion...anybody but United?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by spin88
Well, I for one don't see the "advantage" of E+ the 747 and 787 both have 17" wide seats, dog food, no booze, and the 747 has no IFE. Its worse than non-competitive. Only the 777 is semi decent in E+

I can take DAL (VIA SEA) or I can take a real airline (Japanese or Korean) that has better seats AND a 33 or 34" pitch. Taking the family to ASIA, I just booked ANA, its a 777-300ER and the pitch is "34".

At this point UAL is just a bottom feeder airline.
hard to imagine what it must be like to fly on a UA 747 in coach for 12 + hours. I mean, we're almost to the year 2014, UA is supposed to be this big global airline, and you get no IFE in coach...Now to boot, no free booze of any kind. The booze is what would make a flight on one of these birds tolerable, you would think UA would do there best to get you smashed.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
hard to imagine what it must be like to fly on a UA 747 in coach for 12 + hours. I mean, we're almost to the year 2014, UA is supposed to be this big global airline, and you get no IFE in coach...Now to boot, no free booze of any kind. The booze is what would make a flight on one of these birds tolerable, you would think UA would do there best to get you smashed.
They figure you will be so desperate you will hand them your credit card. They have $2B to make up...more when people stop flying them for crap like this (likely me for example, currently in negotiations with DL).
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shareholder

Remember, many NH economy fares don't earn full mileage and E+ is still better than normal economy seats.

That's plain WRONG information.

All NH economy fares as long as it is TPAC and intra-asia had been earning full 100% of actual miles and 100% elite bonus (75/50/25 according to your status) for quite a while now because UA and NH has a JV agreement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

That is why I switched to SQ.

I can understand people swtich to NH because of 100% actual miles and 100% elite bonus, but SQ ? You got no elite bonus and many cheap fares earn ZERO actual miles.
I buy the earning fares. Much better fare rules than UA (date changes, etc)

And for Gold or below the elite % bonus is just 50% or less. COdbaUA made the switching cost lower by tanking mileage plus

And Jeffrey doesn't revenue share with SQ. Believe me that gives me some satisfaction when hitting the Purchase button in SQ.com
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by andyh64000
They figure you will be so desperate you will hand them your credit card.
Right. This is not just cost-cutting, it is viewed as revenue enhancing.

Whether the marginal revenue from Y drink sales makes up for the loss of business as people choose OALs remains to be seen. I am with those who believe that you do not cut your way to profitability. It's been tried again and again and the results are usually not good.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Montreal
Is this something new? A recent flight back fro Shanghai I believed I heard the announcement "beer and wine are $7 in economy you can look at the selection at the back of Hemispheres magazine". I was in First so did not pay much attention but I thought UA had already cut alchohol on trans pacific flights just like they did on the trans atlantic!
I don't fly UA over the ocean, but I have yet to be on a completing coach flight to Australia, Asia, or Europe that DID NOT offer at least beer or wine with "dinner".

Just for clarity, does UA offer free booze in Y on its flights to Australia and Europe?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Not exactly, AA is still pretty weak in Asia out of ORD and I believe AA has no more HNL flights out of ORD anymore. Sure you can fly CX and JL as AA codeshare, but those codeshare flights last I checked require you to buy pretty expensive fares in order to earn miles.
CX's coach earning fares in AAdvantage are just Y, B and H at 100% and all others at zero.

JL's international coach fares that earn are comprehensive but there are bands of discounted fares that earn at 70/50/30% of flown mileage.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by edcho
AA is also based in ORD.
AA's HQ is in Dallas, while ORD is one of their hubs.

Have you actually flown NH's 77W ?

yes, the pitch is 34" but only if you don't recline your seat.

Oh btw, your seat is a fixed back seat, so it wouldn't recline anyway, your seat will actually slide forward to simulate the recline. Once you slide your seat forward, you basically will only have 31" of legroom. Ask yourself can you sleep upright on a 12+ hours flight first.
I have, and while the pitch isn't optimal, the seat has far better cushioning and lumbar support than a UA Y seat. And the service in Y is also better.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:54 pm

What a plan for budget reduction...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.