Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
For the purposes of "origin / destination" it would be helpful to know if changing from DCA ---> IAD or v.v. triggers a change (or LGA ---> JFK / EWR or v.v.)

Are DCA and IAD considered co-terminals in the fare rules of award tickets (which would suggest that switching from one to the other or v.v. would not be considered a change in origin or destination)?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
For the purposes of "origin / destination" it would be helpful to know if changing from DCA ---> IAD or v.v. triggers a change (or LGA ---> JFK / EWR or v.v.)

Are DCA and IAD considered co-terminals in the fare rules of award tickets (which would suggest that switching from one to the other or v.v. would not be considered a change in origin or destination)?
Pretty sure IAD/DCA and JFK/LGA/EWR are considered co-terminals on award tickets and would not be considered a change in destination/origin.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerdude88

Doesn't matter according to UA Insider's clarification today. They're in the same region, thus no re-price.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by boat9781
Is that accurate? The award is USA -> South Asia, with a connection in NRT. The only F segment is UA-operated; the other flights are in lesser cabins. Why is it not pricing at the 80K level like the below itinerary is, for example.

Perhaps it's just the award engine not recognizing NRT as a connection and is instead breaking the "fare" into 2 awards -- US-> NRT + NRT -> BKK.
Read Aaron's post.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
Your connecting segment (NRT>BKK) is not wholly within one MP award region.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Doesn't matter according to UA Insider's clarification today. They're in the same region, thus no re-price.
Duh that was a dumb question on my part. Good point.

I also just put a shortened version of Aaron's post in the wiki as well as the link to the actual full post to make it easier to find for everyone
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 5khours
Read Aaron's post.

Your connecting segment (NRT>BKK) is not wholly within one MP award region.
Wrong rule. It's UA F and *A J. That should price at UA F level for NA to S. Asia.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
HOWEVER, the big takeaway is the first sentence: COdbaUA only will post responses to our questions AFTER the new rates take effect, even though i'm sure they had the answers immediately after the announcement of the rates changing.
The only reason I can come up for UA is: if UA announces this relatively lenient award change policy earlier, people will burn every mile they have in their MP accounts (which most people already did regardless) to lock in lower mileage requirement and hoard those itins.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
The only reason I can come up for UA is: if UA announces this relatively lenient award change policy earlier, people will burn every mile they have in their MP accounts (which most people already did regardless) to lock in lower mileage requirement and hoard those itins.
Hardly absolves them of blame though as they instituted the devaluation of their own volition. Purposefully witholding the details of their accompanying policy until it's too late and then trumpeting it as 'customer-friendly' is disingenuous at best.

Cheers
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
So I have IAD-UA-ORD-NH-NRT-UA-SIN all in F booked. It looks like IAD-NRT on NH for that date (it's close) is wide open (and has the new F product on my date). Am I interpreting things correctly that I should be able to change to IAD-NH-NRT-UA-SIN for no extra miles? Is this something that could safely be done (or at least attempted) online? I know with DL that online award ticket changes have a tendency to trash tickets. I'm thinking I'd happily pay a change fee to avoid UA domestic F, a transit of ORD, and a full F cabin on ORD-NRT if there's no extra miles required.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
So I have IAD-UA-ORD-NH-NRT-UA-SIN all in F booked. It looks like IAD-NRT on NH for that date (it's close) is wide open (and has the new F product on my date). Am I interpreting things correctly that I should be able to change to IAD-NH-NRT-UA-SIN for no extra miles? Is this something that could safely be done (or at least attempted) online? I know with DL that online award ticket changes have a tendency to trash tickets. I'm thinking I'd happily pay a change fee to avoid UA domestic F, a transit of ORD, and a full F cabin on ORD-NRT if there's no extra miles required.
If (and this is a big if) you can make the change online without re-pricing that would be the better way to go. It tends to be the UA CSR who trash tickets. If .bomb will let you make the change that's safer - though in the new environment it may require calling in to prevent re-pricing
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:55 pm

I made one change earlier today (Feb 4)

I have an upcoming trip that was originally booked in November to SE Asia. The routing was AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD and then CCC-BBB-AAA. The routing includes United and 3 partners. DDD-CCC was not available originally, and I have checked every day since then. CCC and DDD are in the same region.

Today (Tuesday Feb 4) I looked and DDD-CCC was available! Of course it was one day after the devaluation. I called in and the CSR added the segment (on a partner airline). I was charged the change fee and ~$10 in taxes. She did put me on hold for about 25 minutes while she did everything. She asked for my united.com PIN and the amount of miles that I was originally charged, to which my reply was "I don't know."

The only troubling part is I did not receive a confirmation email. The overall cost under the flights on the reservation page now shows "COST: 0 miles and $4xx.xx in taxes/fees" whereas before it said "2xx,xxx miles and $4xx.xx" (My wife is also traveling) The receipt looks normal, updated, and correct. New ticket numbers were issued, which I have confirmed with the partner airlines.

I hope the reservation isn't hosed and we don't get stranded somewhere.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lazard
Pretty sure IAD/DCA and JFK/LGA/EWR are considered co-terminals on award tickets and would not be considered a change in destination/origin.
In the past I've had them tell me that departure from JFK and return to EWR counted as an open jaw for award purpses. I'm not entirely sure whether that's currently enforced, but I figured it was worth mentioning in this context.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
So it is now clear that we can indeed change the airline on a given segment as long as it's in the same cabin and class as the original booking. However, I have FRA(LH-I/C)-LHR(UA-O/F)-IAD booked for later this year as part of a longer itinerary. There wasn't any nonstop FRA-IAD in First available on UA or LH, so I routed through LHR. If nonstop FRA-IAD First shows up on either carrier, would I still be able to rebook without incurring repricing/ticketing? I think not because of the change in routing, and that the LH segment is in Business and not First.

However, I also have IAD-FRA in First with UA, but if LH First opens up I should be able to change that segment without affecting any increases. At least that's how I interpret the latest directive from UA/MP.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3 Feb. 2014

Might not matter if/when I try to make changes, but in an email exchange with 1K Voice I was told that for reservation ticketed under the old rules, the old prices would apply as long as departure and arrival city stay the same. I specifically asked about J-F and change to n/s (ie ewr-ord-fra to ewr-fra).

-dan
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snic
UA, like other airlines, doesn't have to be as generous to attract the same revenue as they used to.
But UA is not attracting the same revenue gains other domestic carriers are. United is lagging.

And in fact, the massive devaluation aligns UA with other carriers.
Hardly.

How did you arrive at this absurd conclusion?

While I feel your pain (actually, I feel my pain, as I use my miles primarily for premium cabin *A awards), I don't really see an alternative that has lower redemption rates and a similar (or better) ease of earning miles. Do you?
AA and oneworld.

Originally Posted by yvr1971
What about schedule changes on either United or other Star Alliance Carriers (that are not initiated by the customer)? How will these get handled?
As they have always been. That is not a voluntary change.

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I also hope that cricketer is right and I could see it being interpreted that way. It would essentially boil down to - "If it would have caused a recalculation of miles under the old award chart, it will cause a recalculation now". And that even covers where you change regions with the same number of miles required - that still would have caused a recalculation of miles, even if the number of miles that resulted from the calculation was the same number - so it causes a reprice.

SFOvacations If this turns out to be the case, we may have to stop bashing UA for just a bit
Funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.