Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
So I have to do 6 searches in Expert mode to see award R upgrade availability for travel once a year.
Ummm. No.
In my case, I travel on personal travel more than once a year.

And I guess your arbitrary number of 6 is based from UA.com's "+/- 3 days" search feature.
But what if that 6 day time span doesn't return any reasonable flights with R availability? For personal travel it isn't a case of "I fly within x time period at whatever price". If I can't find what I want after searching those 6 days then I have to try again. And again and again.
Yea, customer friendly
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by steve64
Ummm. No.
In my case, I travel on personal travel more than once a year.

And I guess your arbitrary number of 6 is based from UA.com's "+/- 3 days" search feature.
But what if that 6 day time span doesn't return any reasonable flights with R availability? For personal travel it isn't a case of "I fly within x time period at whatever price". If I can't find what I want after searching those 6 days then I have to try again. And again and again.
Yea, customer friendly
For the vast majority of real people, we get vacations from work sufficient for travel to Asia once a year. Those dates have to be approved at work too, usually. If I don't get reward travel on my planned dates, I'm SOL and have to buy tix.

It's possible that UA has designed their systems around this use pattern and not the outlying FT behavior.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, here's what a C&D letter from UA looks like: http://media.wandr.me/ProtonCeaseDesist.pdf.

For those who have asked here about the licensing aspect of things I can only share my own personal experiences, but I was told in no uncertain terms that licensing the data was NOT an option. Full stop. Yes, they continue to say in public that a licensing agreement is the only thing needed but United is unwilling to engage in discussions about terms or possibilities. And I've asked multiple times.

I also found it somewhat interesting that they continued to insist that the only way I could have accessed the data was through a united.com URL. That is not what I did. When they asked me to give them more details on what I was doing I respectfully declined. I'm awaiting feedback from my legal counsel about compliance or not based on that aspect of the situation but I expect that part of my tools site to go offline later today pending further discussions with said counsel.

I am not surprised that I received the letter. I'm only slightly disappointed that it took them as long as it did to bother.

But I am very, very disappointed that they continue to insist I'm doing something which I very much am not and that they refuse to have real conversations about the possible licensing of the data despite the public stance so often repeated.

Seth, I want to thank you for your StarAlliance tool. It made searching for award travel that much easier on a recent family trip to MUC. It's disappointing that United is making travel harder for all of us.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
So I have to do 6 searches in Expert mode to see award R upgrade availability for travel once a year.
If there are only six possible days you might travel on (3 in each direction), and you don't need to check more than once, then yes. I think that would apply to virtually no one but yourself.

Originally Posted by steve64
But what if that 6 day time span doesn't return any reasonable flights with R availability?
The "+/- 3 days" feature doesn't display R availability, at all.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 28, 2014 at 8:29 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
It really boggles the mind to see a company be so at war with its customers. Here you have EF and KVS as folks who have essentially done market research for UA in terms of identifying what a class of customers (which includes a non-trivial number of MVF and HVF) would like in terms of web capability and instead of doing something useful with that info (like actually improving their website) they shut down the useful additions. I wonder if UA management will finally be happy if they drive off all their valuable customers and have only to deal with once a year tourists. It is truly hard to understand their mental model of their business but they sure seem to be in denial about what would attract and retain customers. In all my years I really can't think of another company that has been so antagonistic toward the customer base - and with such a lousy base product set they are trying to sell.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdx1M
In all my years I really can't think of another company that has been so antagonistic toward the customer base - and with such a lousy base product set they are trying to sell.
You don't have cable TV or a cellphone?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Verizon Wireless is a downright pleasure to deal with. Comcast can be painful to interact with on the phone, but the actual service is quite good 99% of the time. I've subscribed to both companies' services for nearly a decade and in most respects things have gotten better, not worse. Would that UA could say the same.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdx1M
I wonder if UA management will finally be happy if they drive off all their valuable customers and have only to deal with once a year tourists. It is truly hard to understand their mental model of their business but they sure seem to be in denial about what would attract and retain customers. In all my years I really can't think of another company that has been so antagonistic toward the customer base - and with such a lousy base product set they are trying to sell.
I really think that is what Jeff wants - a pliable, non-demanding customer base that never complains.

Originally Posted by jbsay
Verizon Wireless is a downright pleasure to deal with. Comcast can be painful to interact with on the phone, but the actual service is quite good 99% of the time. I've subscribed to both companies' services for nearly a decade and in most respects things have gotten better, not worse. Would that UA could say the same.
Verizon is MUCH easier and more responsive to deal with than Comcast. We changed over to FIOS 2 years ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
I wouldn't call ATT my cell carrier) great but at the same time they don't go out of their way to antagonize me. Also, my long term trend with them has been better services at same or lower price. On the rare occasions that I have had service issues they have been pretty good, even to allowing retro changing of plans to improve cost when I unexpectedly had to use the phone outside the US. Comcast, my cable carrier, has been excellent on the Internet side (though expensive due to a total lack of competition) responding very promptly on the few occasions where service was lost. Their TV side is hopeless at the first line contact point but once past that you actually find competent people. Their biggest issue for me is their total cluelessness about their own pricing structure - call them twice and you will get at least 3 different price quotes for the same thing. So, yup, UA occupies a niche all its own in terms of customer relations - and it isn't a niche any company should want to aspire to.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

I send a lot of money to both Verizon and Comcast and neither one of them has ever given me a free upgrade to a higher level of service than I'm paying for. Not even once!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I send a lot of money to both Verizon and Comcast and neither one of them has ever given me a free upgrade to a higher level of service than I'm paying for. Not even once!
Comcast has given me 2 years of reduced fees when I called to drop some extra services. Now the fee might return at the end of those two years but I can call again or actually drop the premium service. Got the hint to that from another internet forum and my impression it is not uncommon. Much like credit card providers -- bonus / fee reductions are there for the asking. Seems sort of similiar to UA upgrades.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey guys, let's keep focused on the subject of this thread!
Thx!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I presume that because these are being offered as commercial services rather than consumer websites they cannot gain SLAPP protection? Would there be any way to bring them under that umbrella?

Fios used to give me free months of SHO and HBO from time to time, AT&T have given me loyalty discounts. My carriers in the UK for both cellphone and TV have given me upgraded service or reducing prices for loyalty.

Originally Posted by sbm12
I also found it somewhat interesting that they continued to insist that the only way I could have accessed the data was through a united.com URL. That is not what I did. When they asked me to give them more details on what I was doing I respectfully declined. I'm awaiting feedback from my legal counsel about compliance or not based on that aspect of the situation but I expect that part of my tools site to go offline later today pending further discussions with said counsel.
Seth - have you considered moving to a friendlier jurisdiction with a locally incorporated company? Alternatively could you build your tool as a browser extension and "set it free"?

Thanks for the tool, it was great while it lasted.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alex_b
Seth - have you considered moving to a friendlier jurisdiction with a locally incorporated company? Alternatively could you build your tool as a browser extension and "set it free"?

Thanks for the tool, it was great while it lasted.
I have considered both. Neither has happened yet, as you can see.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If there are only six possible days you might travel on (3 in each direction), and you don't need to check more than once, then yes. I think that would apply to virtually no one but yourself.

The "+/- 3 days" feature doesn't display R availability, at all.
What I had done in the past was do a flex month search checking "mileage ugrade" and nonstop if needed. Then I would middle click (to open a new tab) every date. You can't click too fast because the UA site is too slow and will get confused. If there is no R for that day, There will be a message in bright red. So I quickly go through each tab. Searching something like SFO-SYD, I can go through 3 months someone quick because there is almost zero availability. If I search a route that has decent R availability, it's a little slower because once you get a hit, you have to scroll down and check to see if there is R availability on the entire route. Then you have to do the search on the return to see if there is availability for the intended duration of the trip.
This process takes me about 30min sometimes. I assume KVS does nearly exactly the same thing. Possibly less clicks (using less of UA resources).

I agree that this only needs to be done for vacationers. If you are travelling on business your dates are usually highly restricted

Last edited by eng3; Mar 29, 2014 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.