Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
If I want to find any SFO-SYD flights in a 3 month period with R availability, it's basically impossible now, right? I'd have to individually search every single date. Are there tricks that I'm missing?
I'd be tempted to call an agent and have them check every single day in a 3 month period. If they think this is better for them maybe they'll rethink it if it ends up costing them money? They need to save $2B.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I'd be tempted to call an agent and have them check every single day in a 3 month period. If they think this is better for them maybe they'll rethink it if it ends up costing them money? They need to save $2B.
Unfortunately, my time is worth a lot more than their call center agent's time.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Unfortunately, my time is worth a lot more than their call center agent's time.
There are some for whom that is not the case, especially overseas. Perhaps we can contract an offshore call center to make outbound calls to UA and do this research for us?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tryathlete
United did not like some of us queue jumping the waitlist.
This is absolutely not the only factor. And I know this because even sites which never had R inventory as part of the search have been hit with C&D.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yeah this seriously sucks.

Appreciate that EF Voice was as transparent as possible about things...KVS' silence isn't cool. Hopefully the UAIs will address this as they did with EF.
Perhaps the silence is part of UA's threat to the vendors....
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Are you serious? The issue is that they don't want us to have the data at all. Whether their website is marginally better or worse than someone else's website doesn't change the fact that they could easily give this data away for free (or even sell it for a profit), and they don't because they don't want to make it too easy for people to find and know what the inventory is, and they don't want some people (who are more sophisticated and more willing to use tools) to have an 'advantage' in using their upgrades or miles. It's got nothing to do with enforcing the terms of use, because they could easily change the terms of use or make the data available in a manner consistent with the terms of use.
This is so far from reality that I'm not really sure it's worth a discussion. Factual question - does UA show instrument-supported upgrade inventory (in the forward cabin / both forward cabins if applicable) for all of its flights on its website when you do a search? If so, how can you possibly make the statement "The issue is that they don't want us to have the data at all."

We can argue all day long about whether pulling bulk data from a company's website using screen scraping without any form of commercial agreement is acceptable (it's not, IMO) or even whether UA would be willing to enter into such an agreement, but arguing that they don't want you to have the data in the first place is farcical.

These websites wouldn't have been able to provide this functionality if UA didn't provide the data on their website in the first place
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by star_world
...These websites wouldn't have been able to provide this functionality if UA didn't provide the data on their website in the first place
Let me continue that line of thought by pointing out that these sites would have to make the same queries that anyone else would have to. They just do so in an automated fashion. So, in the example above of finding SFO-SYD flights in a 3 month period with 'R' space, the screen-scraper would have to check fr you the same way you would over 90 days and presumably 90 queries. The number of queries required would furthermore be multiplied based on the frequency of the requests. Now, that's not terribly difficult to do, but it does place a load on the reservation system. The sites were selling that as a service and collecting cash. But they weren't paying for the underlying infrastructure needed to support the extent of their requests. When you have one or two people doing this it's not a problem and nobody notices. When you have thousands, it is a problem and people do notice.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Let me continue that line of thought by pointing out that these sites would have to make the same queries that anyone else would have to. They just do so in an automated fashion. So, in the example above of finding SFO-SYD flights in a 3 month period with 'R' space, the screen-scraper would have to check fr you the same way you would over 90 days and presumably 90 queries. The number of queries required would furthermore be multiplied based on the frequency of the requests. Now, that's not terribly difficult to do, but it does place a load on the reservation system. The sites were selling that as a service and collecting cash. But they weren't paying for the underlying infrastructure needed to support the extent of their requests. When you have one or two people doing this it's not a problem and nobody notices. When you have thousands, it is a problem and people do notice.
Exactly. And then services like EF offered automated alerts, which adds a huge multiplier to the above numbers.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
It comes down to control, UA wants it and loses some of it to EF and KVS Tool. Ego is a powerful element in all of this.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackal
There are some for whom that is not the case, especially overseas. Perhaps we can contract an offshore call center to make outbound calls to UA and do this research for us?
This is a great idea. Anyone who wants to start a service to hire people for $10/hour to call UA and spend hours looking up availability (or just spend hours searching the website), I will be their first customer.

The UA website has been slower than ever lately, so if this is their justification it's a pretty flimsy argument. If there's one thing I'm a world-class expert on, it's operating fast websites and keeping them up and reliable---this was my job at the most well-known website in the world. Blocking people from getting information, or making it harder to do, is not the right way to do it. If there's a demand, you find a way to meet it, and in this case there are lots of good options.

Originally Posted by star_world
This is so far from reality that I'm not really sure it's worth a discussion. Factual question - does UA show instrument-supported upgrade inventory (in the forward cabin / both forward cabins if applicable) for all of its flights on its website when you do a search? If so, how can you possibly make the statement "The issue is that they don't want us to have the data at all."
They make it too hard to do, returning only one result at a time, so people can't collect all of the data they want and need.

It's not that it's just slightly inconvenient. They put it literally beyond the realm of possibility. It would take hours just to confirm that there's no availability on any of a large range of dates. It would cost me more (in my time) to search for upgrades than to just spend thousands of dollars on first class tickets.

On reflection, they probably aren't deliberately making it impossible. They just don't care about the value to their users.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 28, 2014 at 11:53 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I wonder how much of this is due to wanting to withhold the data from the competition.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tryathlete
It comes down to control, UA wants it and loses some of it to EF and KVS Tool.
Also, every automated query is one less chance for people to see the ads and for United to boost its advertising revenue.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AADULtArer
They make it too hard to do, returning only one result at a time, so people can't collect all of the data they want and need.

It's not that it's just slightly inconvenient. They put it literally beyond the realm of possibility. It would take hours just to confirm that there's no availability on any of a large range of dates. It would cost me more (in my time) to search for upgrades than to just spend thousands of dollars on first class tickets.

On reflection, they probably aren't deliberately making it impossible. They just don't care about the value to their users.
It is easy for people who travel on a known schedule, which captures the bulk of HVF. Travelling on business, the travel schedule is known to +-3 days, so a search in Expert Mode gives you the upgrade inventory at your fingertips.

For those searching for upgrade inventory just to fly up front for the experience, life is harder.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
It is easy for people who travel on a known schedule, which captures the bulk of HVF. Travelling on business, the travel schedule is known to +-3 days, so a search in Expert Mode gives you the upgrade inventory at your fingertips.
Most "HVF" aren't trying to use their global upgrades for business travel, because their employer already pays for their trips. They are trying to save thousands of dollars on vacation or personal travel, for themselves or others.

Have you tried your suggestion? It doesn't actually work. You can check "+/- 3 days" but it still doesn't show you flights or upgrade availability on those dates, just an overview of prices. You still have to search each date and then look at all of the individual flights.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure how much its actually a factor, but for every unused GPU, its a potential sale.

Exactly, its ironic that KVS is a subscription service. If it was just a regular program you buy or open source, then it would be alot more difficult for UA to stop this. Other than speed, I don't think there's any way for UA to actually tell if you are using your browser or using an automated browser.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 28, 2014 at 11:55 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.