Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Looks like it's confirmed for KVS:

Yeah this seriously sucks.

Appreciate that EF Voice was as transparent as possible about things...KVS' silence isn't cool. Hopefully the UAIs will address this as they did with EF.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
United could always license the data out if they really wanted to. Charge $$ to services that wanted to be able to request data and serve results to their customers.

Since they aren't doing that it seems United's issue isn't that the data is getting out there for free, it's that the data is getting out there. Period.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
I agree that it seems as though United simply doesn't want its customers to have access to reliable and usable information. Information that their horrible IT cannot provide. Or information that they have decided they don't want to provide.

It is a big middle finger pointed squarely in the direction of all of us....

God fordbid that we'd actually use our upgrade or award benefits.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by johnmont
I agree that it seems as though United simply doesn't want its customers to have access to reliable and usable information. Information that their horrible IT cannot provide. Or information that they have decided they don't want to provide.

It is a big middle finger pointed squarely in the direction of all of us....

God fordbid that we'd actually use our upgrade or award benefits.
This has been discussed to death. How do you reconcile this comment with the fact that UA offers better visibility into upgrade inventory and award inventory (including partners) on its own website than most, if not all of its competitors?

Let's avoid the hyperbole - UA simply doesn't want its data accessed in violation of the terms of use it publishes on its website. That's a legitimate position for any business to take. The absence of any agreement with UA (or its competitors, from what I've seen) is more of an indication that there may not be a viable business model for the potential providers of such a service than anything else. It's easy to charge for a service and run a business when you screen-scrape the data for free.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
Let's avoid the hyperbole - UA simply doesn't want its data accessed in violation of the terms of use it publishes on its website. That's a legitimate position for any business to take. The absence of any agreement with UA (or its competitors, from what I've seen) is more of an indication that there may not be a viable business model for the potential providers of such a service than anything else. It's easy to charge for a service and run a business when you screen-scrape the data for free.
I don't really want to get into a tangent discussion but how can we know there's "no market" if such a data service has never been offered?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I don't really want to get into a tangent discussion but how can we know there's "no market" if such a data service has never been offered?
How can we know that such a data service has never been offered?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
How do you reconcile this comment with the fact that UA offers better visibility into upgrade inventory and award inventory (including partners) on its own website than most, if not all of its competitors?
I reconcile it because United is making things worse for its customers. If there is a tool that helps your customers find what they need...that is a good thing for your business imho. This has been in place for years with no problem -- years in which they could have built something reliable and useful but haven't. That shows they don't care about providing such a service.

As far as other airlines, yes, I agree with you. They are also being obnoxiously opaque and insulting to their customers as well.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am aware of a few individuals who have inquired about such a service and have been told "not going to happen".
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you aware of such a service (meeting your criteria)? now or in the past?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you aware of such a service (meeting your criteria)? now or in the past?
I'm not aware of the existence or absence of such a service. Clearly, I haven't been privy to any confidential discussions UA may have had with providers that might want to license this data. I do find it interesting that just because "we" don't know of such a service, the assumption by the previous poster is that it must not exist.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm not aware of the existence or absence of such a service. Clearly, I haven't been privy to any confidential discussions UA may have had with providers that might want to license this data. I do find it interesting that just because "we" don't know of such a service, the assumption by the previous poster is that it must not exist.
Given the body of active flyers we have at FT, I would be surprised a service (now or in the past) existed that someone here was not aware of. So I find the assumption to be very reasonable. And add to that in this and previous discussions of similiar tools, they are multiple consistent reports that UA is not interested in providing licensed access (at less to those that approached UA).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not assuming. I know that inquiries/requests were made directly to UA management asking for such licensed data and they were met with "we do not offer and do not plan to offer such a licensed data delivery service".
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
United did not like some of us queue jumping the waitlist. The problem
Is the lack of functionality in the current system, but I clearly understand UA not wanting people taking advantage of software that guarantees an upgrade when it is not intended for it to happen (so why do they release R?)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Let's avoid the hyperbole - UA simply doesn't want its data accessed in violation of the terms of use it publishes on its website. That's a legitimate position for any business to take.
Are you serious? The issue is that they don't want us to have the data at all. Whether their website is marginally better or worse than someone else's website doesn't change the fact that they could easily give this data away for free (or even sell it for a profit), and they don't because they don't want to make it too easy for people to find and know what the inventory is, and they don't want some people (who are more sophisticated and more willing to use tools) to have an 'advantage' in using their upgrades or miles. It's got nothing to do with enforcing the terms of use, because they could easily change the terms of use or make the data available in a manner consistent with the terms of use.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If I want to find any SFO-SYD flights in a 3 month period with R availability, it's basically impossible now, right? I'd have to individually search every single date. Are there tricks that I'm missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.