Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:59 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I'll add to what others have said: I am now wasting significant amount of UA agents time to search for things that I formerly did on EF. And since I book travel (mostly awards and upgrades) professionally, I am on the phone with them all the time now.

What a totally shortsighted move by United. This is not the airline I switched to in 2004 and was very happy with (as a 1K) for many years.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kb1992
1) There is no way an average UA ticket has 6 segments.

2) He probably assumed that EF does hourly inquiries on alerts so 126,144,000 searches per year translates to 14400 alerts total in any given hour.

Then he assumes that at ANY given time, there are 1200 EF subscribers with 12 alerts. All UA.

:-::-::-:
I think those numbers are high.

In October 2013, there were 202 individual FlyerTalk members who posted an average of at least once per day in the United forum. (Also, the ratio of guests-to-members in the forum at any given time is approximately 2.5 to one, so you can assume there are ~700 people who check the UA forum daily.)

Since I suspect FT makes up the vast majority of EF's audience--anyone who cares enough to pay $10/month probably also checks FT pretty regularly--that means there are roughly 700 UA flyers who are EF's target audience. What's the percentage of those who subscribe to EF? 80%? 50%? 30%? I suspect it's on the lower end. I know a LOT of people on FT who do not subscribe to EF.

Also, 12 searches per user is high. I've never had more than 5 in my account for any single airline at any given time. Also, the majority of those are for flights several months out. I'm very sure those are not being checked hourly--maybe a couple times a day at most. It might be hourly in the last 4-5 days before departure, but that has been 0 of my alerts for a few months now.

So, I'll assume the following:

200 active UA flyer subscribers to EF
5 searches per user at any given time
20% of those searches being checked hourly; the other 80% being checked every six hours
8000 total searches per day
0.09 searches per second
2.9 million searches per year, or 3.9% of the total load on UA's systems (based on the table posted by star_world)

That's one search every eleven seconds...a far cry from 4 per second!

Even if my numbers are significantly off, it's still a lot lower than 4 per second.

I continue to think United is doing this for other reasons. I don't know what it is--maybe they don't want us to have easy access to the data, or maybe they just don't like that EF is exploiting their site (even though it doesn't actually affect anything). But it's an ideological decision, not a practical one.

Last edited by jackal; Nov 21, 2013 at 10:31 am
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
UA Blocking Expert Flyer Access to R and Elite Award Searches as of 31-Oct-2013?

I've also started dialing united almost daily when traveling. I've also put some alerts in EF for thing like C5 when less than five days and C3 less than 3 day out just to help with optimizing my calling pattern. As a GS this has worked so far in terms of asking nicely if the upgrade has now cleared.

Obviously this isn't as good as PN or R alerts. Curious if anyone else has other fare class alert metrics that work.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look, the data on the number of searches done by EF is available to someone; i.e., it can be computed by the owners of EF. I'd like to see them comment. The fact that they apparently haven't so far is, at least, interesting but then I haven't read all the posts in this long thread, maybe I missed their reply.

My reply to EF was that if they don't get this back, I'm not going to renew. I turned off auto-renewal. If KVS has the info and EF doesn't, that is pretty much a clincher.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Look, the data on the number of searches done by EF is available to someone; i.e., it can be computed by the owners of EF. I'd like to see them comment. The fact that they apparently haven't so far is, at least, interesting but then I haven't read all the posts in this long thread, maybe I missed their reply.

My reply to EF was that if they don't get this back, I'm not going to renew. I turned off auto-renewal. If KVS has the info and EF doesn't, that is pretty much a clincher.
They haven't replied, and nor would I expect them to. They haven't even admitted anywhere publicly that they were scraping United.com, even though it is obvious to us that they were. I wouldn't expect them to make that admission anywhere that UA could get wind of it, as it would cause complications in the event of legal action.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So UA has been blocking EF for a few weeks now.

Why is .bomb not any faster for me?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
What is the alternative for award searches with EF gone? Calling and/or looking on .bomb (multiple times) each day? Booking wrong day/time and waitlisting? Some other tool? Curious what others are doing.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by exerda

In fact, it's slower for me.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum

^ Excellent remark !! ^
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:06 pm

The complete lack of a response in this thread by Expertflyer Voice is highly telling.

For awards the ANA search tool and KVS are reasonable substitutes except for the lack of notifications.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Next Explorer Card benefit- faster ua.com!

OK, if we want to deal with this seriously, UA may be outsourcing its computer muscle, or, if they have excess capacity, renting it to others. Computing in "the cloud" is a very different thing than having your own IBM 360/70 mainframe. There may be a variable cost based on load, and UA may choose to pay for a given level of speed... and if they can reduce the load, it will cost less for the same amount of speed.

OK, it's a bit of a stretch, but it could be true. And that would open up the possibility of variable speeds for different users maybe?

Hmm. So the next CC benefit will be a faster web experience? I was going to say the next elite benefit, but it's pretty clear they're more interested in adding CC features these days.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
The complete lack of a response in this thread by Expertflyer Voice is highly telling.

For awards the ANA search tool and KVS are reasonable substitutes except for the lack of notifications.
Telling? Of what, that the ship has sunk? That United threatened them with a huge lawsuit unless they settled and signed an NDA?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
In fact, it's slower for me.
Same here.

Not only can I no longer use ExpertFlyer for alerts (or for quick, painless searches), but UA.bomb is now slower than ever.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Besides the loss of convenience and alerts, another issue is that neither the Android app nor the mobile site for .bomb have expert mode that I can tell, and the full site's booking engine doesn't work properly on Android Chrome. Thus when not at my computer I can't see R inventory. I suppose I can waste my time and UA's money calling in repeatedly when on the road...
Full UA site has worked fine on Android Chrome for me for as long as I can remember, including Expert Mode. I have several colleagues who use it regularly for this purpose also. This sounds like it may be an issue with your phone / device.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
Full UA site has worked fine on Android Chrome for me for as long as I can remember, including Expert Mode. I have several colleagues who use it regularly for this purpose also. This sounds like it may be an issue with your phone / device.
I have had the same problem on an original Motorola Droid (Verizon), a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon), and a Motorola Atrix 2 (unlocked GSM). Any time I try to use the booking engine, the site refuses to take the form input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.