Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
EF was stealing the data from the UA site and charging users $10 a month to access it. Do you agree or disagree with this?
I'm not a lawyer but my definition of stealing is depriving someone of their own property. The problem I have with the statement that EF is "stealing" the data is that UA itself makes that data available to people free of charge, albeit in a not-very-useful form. Clearly UA is content for me to access the data. You suggest that I should pay someone to access it on my behalf - that's precisely what I was doing with EF - I paid them $99 and they condensed the data into bits I could use.

And, incidentally, I used it principally when looking for trips fairly far out so that I could be alerted for R space - not so much for queue-jumping as we all know when the R space opens up at T-23.5 or so.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'm not a lawyer but my definition of stealing is depriving someone of their own property. The problem I have with the statement that EF is "stealing" the data is that UA itself makes that data available to people free of charge, albeit in a not-very-useful form. Clearly UA is content for me to access the data. You suggest that I should pay someone to access it on my behalf - that's precisely what I was doing with EF - I paid them $99 and they condensed the data into bits I could use.

And, incidentally, I used it principally when looking for trips fairly far out so that I could be alerted for R space - not so much for queue-jumping as we all know when the R space opens up at T-23.5 or so.
Fair enough - the accurate statement would be "EF was operating in clear violation of the Terms of Use for the UA website, and was blocked as a result".

The relevant paragraph, as always:

This Web site is for the User's personal, noncommercial use only. User agrees not to modify, copy, alter, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from this Web site without United Airlines' prior written permission. User agrees not to use any robot, spider, other automatic device, or manual process to monitor or copy this Web site or the content contained therein or for any other unauthorized purpose without United Airlines' prior written permission. User agrees not to use any device, software or routine to interfere with or attempt to interfere with the proper working of this Web site or any activities conducted on this site. User agrees not to take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. United Airlines reserves the right to investigate any illegal and/or unauthorized use of this Web site, including, but not limited to, unauthorized framing of this Web site or unauthorized use of any robot, spider or other automated device, and to take appropriate legal action, including, without limitation, civil, criminal and injunctive redress.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Stealing" is not the right term, but EF was apparently making commercial use of UA's proprietary data in violation of UA's terms of service. That's almost certainly why EF stopped when UA told them to, because they would have lost if UA had commenced legal action. I don't have any sympathy for EF on these facts. I had assumed EF was properly licensing the data from UA, not illicitly scraping it for free in violation of UA's ToS.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
"Stealing" is not the right term, but EF was apparently making commercial use of UA's proprietary data in violation of UA's terms of service. That's almost certainly why EF stopped when UA told them to, because they would have lost if UA had commenced legal action. I don't have any sympathy for EF on these facts. I had assumed EF was properly licensing the data from UA, not illicitly scraping it for free in violation of UA's ToS.
+1 - I had always assumed the same. That's why I have zero sympathy for EF, nor can I see how this is UA's "fault" or an attempt to increase opacity, as some here keep insisting.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:40 am

The logic here is so backwards I don't even know where to start.

EF was stealing the data from the UA site and charging users $10 a month to access it. Do you agree or disagree with this?

UA continues to make the data available in exactly the same way it did before.

If you'd been paying $10 a month to a Russian hacker who had found a back door into UA's systems and was providing alerts for R availability, who would you blame when it was discovered by UA and blocked?
Several others have rebutted your assertion that EF's behavior constitutes theft or hacking.

Bottom line: EF provided a valuable service that we need.

1) Because R space doesn't clear properly or consistently, we need a way to manage the constant failure to perform, and

2) Because R space became so scarce after the CO takeover, we need better tools to find it

UA knows that we relied upon EF to get around these obstacles and rather than fix the obstacles by improving their web site, fixing the UG clearance algorithm, or providing their own alerts, they just shut down EF and made the entire process more opaque and difficult.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not just UA, most any business would have sent EF a cease and desist letter on these facts. Taking a company's proprietary data without a license and selling it is just not something you can expect to get a away with. You either get a license or you abide by the ToS.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Several others have rebutted your assertion that EF's behavior constitutes theft or hacking.

Bottom line: EF provided a valuable service that we need.

1) Because R space doesn't clear properly or consistently, we need a way to manage the constant failure to perform, and

2) Because R space became so scarce after the CO takeover, we need better tools to find it

UA knows that we relied upon EF to get around these obstacles and rather than fix the obstacles by improving their web site, fixing the UG clearance algorithm, or providing their own alerts, they just shut down EF and made the entire process more opaque and difficult.
Do you disagree that EF was operating in violation of the UA ToS? Nobody is rebutting anything besides the technical term to describe what they're doing, you're just grasping at straws.

Everything you posted above, all the things you consider to be mitigating factors, are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they were set up to specifically find R inventory to give to poor, starving children - the issue was with the way they were doing it.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:46 am

The logic here is so backwards I don't even know where to start.

UA continues to make the data available in exactly the same way it did before.

If you'd been paying $10 a month to a Russian hacker who had found a back door into UA's systems and was providing alerts for R availability, who would you blame when it was discovered by UA and blocked? For that matter, why don't you use a service like this and pay someone $10 per month to do repetitive searches for you?
First off UA obviously doesn't care about screen scrapers. UA still lets many other services, most of which charge a fee, screen scrape from United.com. So it can't be just that. UA Insider could have used this opportunity to say that all unauthorized screen scrapers were not allowed or to be blocked by UA, but he didn't. This means that UA doesn't really care about screen scrapers and targeted just EF for some other reason, possibly because of their alerting capabilities, possibly because they were the most visible. Either way it doesn't matter, by not at least publicly stating that they were going to go after ANY screen scraper that charges for their service they showed that they don't really care about it.

Don't forget, EF was the last service to add UA awards and upgrades, not the first. I know I personally ask EF for years to add UA award/upgrade data before they did.

Second, if UA's problem was only how EF got the data, not if EF has the data, then UA should be able to come to an agreement with EF. However EF has stated that "So far, UAL has made not made any offer, or counter offer, of their own." So your assertion must be false.

Third, UA doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. Not only do we know that UA has no problem with us seeing the data (they give us Expert Mode) but you can't copywrite public information, nor is the information confidential. So there is no legal reason why EF can't posses the information, and no, it was not "stealing". Terms of Service's of websites aren't legally enforceable and we should challenge UA to come up with evidence that what EF was doing actually effected the UA.com website in any significant way. EF has had UA award data for years, so it clearly wasn't abusive or significant enough to notice.

So that combined with the tolerance of other screen scrapers makes it clear that UA has a hidden agenda here and is not being honest with their statements. It sounds like some executive stumbled across what EF had and went into a paranoid fit and yelled at someone to do something without considering the consequences of their actions. Typical.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pete4212
First off UA obviously doesn't care about screen scrapers. UA still lets many other services, most of which charge a fee, screen scrape from United.com. So it can't be just that. UA Insider could have used this opportunity to say that all unauthorized screen scrapers were not allowed or to be blocked by UA, but he didn't. This means that UA doesn't really care about screen scrapers and targeted just EF for some other reason, possibly because of their alerting capabilities, possibly because they were the most visible. Either way it doesn't matter, by not at least publicly stating that they were going to go after ANY screen scraper that charges for their service they showed that they don't really care about it.
Why would UA Insider need to say this? Their ToS already says it in black and white. They can shut down any service or individual that violates this - that's their published policy.

Maybe EF was the biggest - maybe they were generating the most traffic so it got noticed - there are plenty of possible explanations, but that doesn't mean that UA can't shut them down. Not calling out other providers of similar services doesn't invalidate this.

Don't forget, EF was the last service to add UA awards and upgrades, not the first. I know I personally ask EF for years to add UA award/upgrade data before they did.
That's because UA never had an easy way to show this information on their website in the past.

Second, if UA's problem was only how EF got the data, not if EF has the data, then UA should be able to come to an agreement with EF. However EF has stated that "So far, UAL has made not made any offer, or counter offer, of their own." So your assertion must be false.
Walk me through that 'logic' again? UA is obligated to come back with a counter-offer or the assertion is false? Not getting your point.

Third, UA doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. Not only do we know that UA has no problem with us seeing the data (they give us Expert Mode) but you can't copywrite public information, nor is the information confidential. So there is no legal reason why EF can't posses the information, and no, it was not "stealing". Terms of Service's of websites aren't legally enforceable and we should challenge UA to come up with evidence that what EF was doing actually effected the UA.com website in any significant way. EF has had UA award data for years, so it clearly wasn't abusive or significant enough to notice.
They don't need a legal leg to stand on. It's not a public service. They're not obligated to provide it. They can shut off access to anyone for any reason they choose - and they publish ToS to provide guidelines on when they are most likely to do so. If you're operating a business that depends specifically on being in violation of a whole bunch of the terms in there, you should expect to be shut down. What does legality have to do with it?

So that combined with the tolerance of other screen scrapers makes it clear that UA has a hidden agenda here and is not being honest with their statements. It sounds like some executive stumbled across what EF had and went into a paranoid fit and yelled at someone to do something without considering the consequences of their actions. Typical.
May not be worth the time, money or effort to go after smaller screen scrapers, particularly those like KVS that are distributed and don't perform scripted searches. It's highly likely that the load generated by EF was several orders of magnitude greater than all the other screen scrapers put together. Again, it doesn't invalidate the decision to shut them down.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:30 am

Much of the key data that EF was repackaging and selling, specifically R, IN, and XN inventory, was only made available by UA in Expert Mode, which means you need to log in to your Mileage Plus account to access it. So EF was either using existing MP accounts to obtain that data, creating dummy accounts, or accessing the data in some way that would normally be described as a "hack."

This is not a situation where EF merely accessed data that UA made available to anyone who visited its website. The data (R, IN, XN) was only made available to people who expressly agreed to abide by ToS. UA could absolutely enforce its ToS on these facts.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:39 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
United issued cease and desist letters to certain mileage management companies that market to MileagePlus members. We encourage each of these organizations seeking to extract data from united.com on behalf of our customers to enter into a formal agreement with United in order to ensure compliance with the Terms, Conditions, and Legal Notices contained on united.com.
It seems perfectly clear to me. UA would like EF to enter a formal agreement (by which I understand "contract") with it to make use of the data, and for whatever reason EF is not willing to enter into such a contract.

Perhaps they would have to pay so much to UA under the terms of such a contract that either their service would no longer be commercially viable or they would have to charge subscribers a lot more than they did before. Or perhaps there is some other reason that we don't know about.

Anyone from EF care to comment?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is not a situation where EF merely accessed data that UA made available to anyone who visited its website. The data (R, IN, XN) was only made available to people who expressly agreed to abide by ToS. UA could absolutely enforce its ToS on these facts.
KVS does the same and also profits from it, where is the statement from UA Insider about them?

Originally Posted by 1P
It seems perfectly clear to me. UA would like EF to enter a formal agreement (by which I understand "contract") with it to make use of the data, and for whatever reason EF is not willing to enter into such a contract.

Perhaps they would have to pay so much to UA under the terms of such a contract that either their service would no longer be commercially viable or they would have to charge subscribers a lot more than they did before. Or perhaps there is some other reason that we don't know about.

Anyone from EF care to comment?
They already did. In response to emails EF has been responding with "ExpertFlyer is attempting to negotiate an agreement with UAL. So far, UAL has made not made any offer, or counter offer, of their own. However, we continue to discuss the matter with UAL in hopes of reaching a mutually agreeable conclusion."

It seems that UA is the roadblock that is holding up the agreement, not EF as they apparently haven't responded to any offer that EF made (hence the "counter offer" statement) nor proposed one of their own.

Why would UA Insider need to say this?
Because not doing so is tacit approval of others doing the same. It would seem stupid not to as all they succeeding in doing was moving people from one screen scraping service to another. Like I said before, if they really cared and really wanted to stop all screen scrapers they would disavow all of them thereby removing any safe harbor for those of us that wish to use such services. No blocking or C&D necessary, just create the perception that they are going after everyone and destroy the market.

That's because UA never had an easy way to show this information on their website in the past.
Expert Mode has been on the UA website for years.

All your other points have already been addressed.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:12 pm
Suspended

KVS does the same and also profits from it, where is the statement from UA Insider about them?
Are you aware of the fundamental difference between the two? KVS runs on a customer's own computer, and uses the customer's own MP credentials to perform the search. There is no large-scale automated batch searching happening, just interactive search that formats the results in a useful way for the user. UA would have to go after each individual customer of KVS. EF operates completely differently - they generate vast numbers of dummy MP accounts, and run automated queries from central servers in large volumes to provide alerts to users. I think you can see why EF is a more natural target for UA than KVS.

Because not doing so is tacit approval of others doing the same. It would seem stupid not to as all they succeeding in doing was moving people from one screen scraping service to another. Like I said before, if they really cared and really wanted to stop all screen scrapers they would disavow all of them thereby removing any safe harbor for those of us that wish to use such services. No blocking or C&D necessary, just create the perception that they are going after everyone and destroy the market.
There's an explicit prohibition in the ToS - how could it possibly be a tacit approval? Given what I pointed out above regarding the difference between EF and tools like KVS, are you aware of any other services similar to EF that operate in a similar way and haven't been shut down?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:43 pm

Are you aware of the fundamental difference between the two? KVS runs on a customer's own computer, and uses the customer's own MP credentials to perform the search. There is no large-scale automated batch searching happening, just interactive search that formats the results in a useful way for the user. UA would have to go after each individual customer of KVS. EF operates completely differently - they generate vast numbers of dummy MP accounts, and run automated queries from central servers in large volumes to provide alerts to users. I think you can see why EF is a more natural target for UA than KVS.
UA and their lawyers wouldn't care as KVS is a 3rd party making money from displaying UA's data, period. The fact that KVS asks for a MP# and password (which EF never did) is even worse as then it's a "security issue" as the airlines like to say. If EF asked for a MP# and password they would still get shutdown. Case in point: AwardWallet. They do the same as KVS according to you (only access UA.com on behalf of user with users credentials), but UA sent them a C&D anyway. Also, if KVS was so legit, he wouldn't be hiding from the airlines so thoroughly as he does.

Given what I pointed out above regarding the difference between EF and tools like KVS, are you aware of any other services similar to EF that operate in a similar way and haven't been shut down?
Yes, several that screen scrape from web based services:
AwardNexus.com
AwardTravelr.com
wandr.me

AwardNexus in particular both charges a fee AND does automated searching. So as you can see, EF is not unique in what they were doing.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
UA and their lawyers wouldn't care as KVS is a 3rd party making money

Yes, several that screen scrape from web based services:
You are wrong about KVS - from IT perspective it is simply a browser. Most browsers are free, this one is not. It browses and presents data from world wide web. There is a huge difference between that and hourly searches for many alerts.
They could have added alerts and Ive asked for it - the answer was, UA will most likely not be thrilled about it. And they were right, unfortunately.

What else do you want UA to ban - how about Last Pass mobile? They charge money for displaying web content in their own browser and make it easy by saving passwords - the nerve!

do you have some agenda to prove by naming and shaming other still live services? I am sure UA knows of them in some way, but why highlight them now? Or the moral voice in you wont be quiet until all violators are punished?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.