Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
EF is still pretty valuable without the UA/*A search functions..
Agree. Hugely valuable still for things like seeing fare class availability for SDC, and AFAIK, they obtain that data from a legitimate GDS, so there's no danger of that disappearing.

Originally Posted by Sykes
While only EF and United know for sure, I think that there has always been credibility to that claim. EF has openly stated that alerts check for new inventory at relatively infrequent intervals far from departure, and more frequent intervals close in. I wouldn't be surprised if EF was doing several hundred queries against UA's servers each minute at peak times.
It might be possible, but I'm finding it hard to believe UA would have taken this long to do something about it if they truly were consuming a third of UA's bandwidth/search transactions. That kind of load doesn't go unnoticed for years--it's addressed in weeks.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I mean if I don't hear anything from EF after I request for a refund, whether I should report to Better Business Bureau.
Just curious - are these complaints about refunds and BBB threats from people who paid for an annual subscription? If so, I understand. But, for anyone who was paying monthly, I'd hope you could just let it go.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
My experience was the opposite of yours. I emailed ExpertFlyer, requesting a cancellation and a pro rata refund of the balance of my membership fee because of the inability to provide UA upgrade and award information, and they emailed me back the same day agreeing to do so. I received my refund six days later.
Same.

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I mean if I don't hear anything from EF after I request for a refund, whether I should report to Better Business Bureau.
It's unlike them not to reply, maybe the email didn't get delivered? Try again and if you still don't hear anything in a couple days PM ExpertFlyer Voice with your EF account info.

Originally Posted by jackal
Agree. Hugely valuable still for things like seeing fare class availability for SDC, and AFAIK, they obtain that data from a legitimate GDS, so there's no danger of that disappearing.

It might be possible, but I'm finding it hard to believe UA would have taken this long to do something about it if they truly were consuming a third of UA's bandwidth/search transactions. That kind of load doesn't go unnoticed for years--it's addressed in weeks.
That's what I was thinking, when I asked EF if they were trying to work something out with UA, the response I got back indicated that UA hasn't made an offer or accepted any offer. Looks like UA is the problem here.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by dsauch
sent my request for prorated refund today. 3 months left on my membership - I got great value of them in prior months, so they earned those.
received refund confirmation in 6 hours
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dsauch
sent my request for prorated refund today. 3 months left on my membership - I got great value of them in prior months, so they earned those.
I have decide not to punish EF for UA's decision and to give EF some time to create alternative value.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM; AS; GP D; HH D
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have decide not to punish EF for UA's decision and to give EF some time to create alternative value.
Likewise. I still use them daily.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Me too.

Maybe something will work out.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
+1
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:39 am

I agree. They are good people who have done good work and helped us a lot.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Biggles209
Likewise. I still use them daily.
+1. I'm surprised so many people were only using EF for the R availability. The value in seeing FLIFO and seatmaps alone is worth it to me.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
while I may not like it, it is UA's info -- no one has an entitlement to be able to access it. UA is not the first to restrict access to their inventory data and does still provided on united.com. I would prefer what we had before but that's UA's (poor) choice.
+1
If EF was scraping, this was probably inevitable, regardless of any "bandwidth" issues (which I suspect are a post-hoc justification by UA). Most profit-making companies won't stand for others profiting from the unauthorized use of their proprietary data. I had always assumed EF had a license. Since they were apparently not paying for their data, this makes me much less sympathetic towards EF.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
'm surprised so many people were only using EF for the R availability. The value in seeing FLIFO and seatmaps alone is worth it to me.
But it's not just R that's gone, it's now all UA and *A award inventory information. I would say my usage was 60% for R, 30% for award inventory, and 10% for other (mostly seat maps).

Still I appreciate that others may have a different assessment of its ongoing value.

btw, EF did ultimately issue me a refund, so kudos to them for that.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
+1. I'm surprised so many people were only using EF for the R availability. The value in seeing FLIFO and seatmaps alone is worth it to me.
So many people are just lazy.

They want EF alert of R space. They don't want to check UA website daily.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Originally Posted by kb1992

Does anyone know how to alert on R space after EF?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

Dailly? Try hourly or half-hourly. You can watch R space show up and disappear quickly. You need to be on top of this which is why EF made it so easy. Sure, their checks for R space weren't every single second but they were far more automated and far less time consuming.

-RM
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

That's not lazy, that's called having a life.

What EF also offered with R space was the ability to check multiple flights over multiple days. Can't do that on united.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.