Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by expressboy
I have another (wacko) theory as to why EF access was yanked. Being in the computer industry, I think these query numbers are really, really small to make a big difference to UA. I think they yanked it to avoid people skipping the upgrade line when R opens up and their stupid system does not process the upgrade waitlist immediately. People can still manually search for R space but it is probability that the automated batch job runs between two manual queries is much higher.
That's the likely reason. The official explanation (too taxing on our bandwidth!) is total BS...come on already.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That's the likely reason. The official explanation (too taxing on our bandwidth!) is total BS...come on already.
Yeah.

If it were for bandwidth, EF would have been yanked long time ago.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:32 pm

where to now for us EF lovers?
searching for *A awards with EF was the best... what's my next best option?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by appaz86
awards or upgrades? Awards is pretty good w/ ANA
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
awards or upgrades? Awards is pretty good w/ ANA
awards, yea i heard guess i'll sign up to ANA
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have sticky notes plastered all over my desk with everything I need to keep checking on
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by expressboy
I have another (wacko) theory as to why EF access was yanked. Being in the computer industry, I think these query numbers are really, really small to make a big difference to UA. I think they yanked it to avoid people skipping the upgrade line when R opens up and their stupid system does not process the upgrade waitlist immediately. People can still manually search for R space but it is probability that the automated batch job runs between two manual queries is much higher.
Could make sense, though you're assuming that UA cares about the upgrade line. Nothing in UA management's overall approach would seem to indicate that it cares about this or hundreds of other matters a competently run, responsive business would care about.

My own theories are that: 1) UA simply does not want to make it too easy for people to use upgrades since it (correctly or not) sees such use as sometimes undercutting selling those otherwise upgraded seats and/or 2) it wants to make money off of EF's service and is negotiating a price to do so.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: CO - Platinum
This is a terrible development. So few R tickets are available at it is that EF was the only way to ensure upgrades on long flights.
Trying to plan trips NYC-LHR and NYC-DEL early next year and am thinking of flying Virgin Atlantic instead-- at least they have a decent premium economy. And then switching to Delta to gather those VA miles.

Another reason I miss CO.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
. . . 1) UA simply does not want to make it too easy for people to use upgrades since it (correctly or not) sees such use as sometimes undercutting selling those otherwise upgraded seats and/or 2) it wants to make money off of EF's service and is negotiating a price to do so.
Smisek's thought process: " Use of GPUs by these over-entitled 1Ks affects our financials. Since we can't take away GPU without making lots of people upset, let's at least make them less usable by hiding availability. "
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is maybe the KVS tool an option to look into?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by burlax
Smisek's thought process: " Use of GPUs by these over-entitled 1Ks affects our financials. Since we can't take away GPU without making lots of people upset, let's at least make them less usable by hiding availability. "
Great story, but UA absolutely didn't hide availability. They blocked a company who was stealing this data and making a profit from it.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by star_world
Great story, but UA absolutely didn't hide availability. They blocked a company who was stealing this data and making a profit from it.
Re: the previous post, KVS des that -- but in a way that's harder for UA to catch. I don't think KVS stores requests for repeated searches followed by notification.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
does Awardnexus have the ability to schedule automated searches for an exact flight number and bucket ?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
As much as I like EF, you're right. Especially if this somehow ties back to their GDS fees, where in some environments high look-to-book ratios, eg EF banging away at R inventory all day long against stored searches, might have also driven costs for them or perhaps just the threat of it.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Besides the loss of convenience and alerts, another issue is that neither the Android app nor the mobile site for .bomb have expert mode that I can tell, and the full site's booking engine doesn't work properly on Android Chrome. Thus when not at my computer I can't see R inventory. I suppose I can waste my time and UA's money calling in repeatedly when on the road...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.