FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1501281-facilities-changes-united-lax-including-new-united-club.html)

LASUA1K Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm

LAX is shrinking and will continue. He said not a hub for anyone. That includes UA.

LAX will be hub flights only with Hawaii and Australia.

jgsx Sep 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Confirmed. The lax GFL is turning into a united club on October 27.

channa Sep 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 23505997)
LAX is shrinking and will continue. He said not a hub for anyone. That includes UA.

And he doesn't speak for DL or AA. I think they would vehemently disagree with someone alleging that LAX is not a hub for them.

DL has expanded significantly, and AA has not let up over the past few years. AA even secured the gate space that UA relinquished.

DWFI Sep 10, 2014 1:51 pm

I think AA and DL feel strongly that LAX is a hub and will fight for market share.

azepine00 Sep 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ianmanka (Post 23505369)
.. I despise the T7 setup, which will become even more of a zoo. Thankfully, not many more LAX UA departures for me before I defect to DL/AA/AS.

and surely T4+T6+remote eagles nest setup of AA will be far more flyer friendly.. :rolleyes:

UA-NYC Sep 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 23506032)
DL has expanded significantly, and AA has not let up over the past few years. AA even secured the gate space that UA relinquished.

Yup...AA just opened up a new AC there too in the Eagle's Nest.

andrewwm Sep 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Except United hasn't shrunk at LAX. But don't let your lack of facts stand in the way of your usual anti-UA rant...

Yup...AA just opened up a new AC there too in the Eagle's Nest.
UA is going to refurb the old F lounge into a new UC and build another between 6 and 7.

LASUA1K Sep 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by andrewwm (Post 23506080)
Except United hasn't shrunk at LAX. But don't let your lack of facts stand in the way of your usual anti-UA rant...

They haven't?

wanymayold Sep 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by andrewwm (Post 23506080)

They haven't?
Could you advice where is my daily PIT-LAX United flight now? And other dozens of flights exLAX that is not in the schedule anymore?

andrewwm Sep 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 23506087)
They haven't?

No. ASMs are up, regional flights are down slightly.

Summer 2012

55 EM2
55 CRJ/ERJ

108 Mainline Narrowbody

5 WB

Summer 2014

39 EM2
50 CRJ

114 Mainline Narrowbody

6 WB

Could you advice where is my daily PIT-LAX United flight now? And other dozens of flights exLAX that is not in the schedule anymore?
Dozens? Do you fly to places like IYK a lot? The only two I can think of is PIT-LAX and PDX-LAX that are any kind of interesting market. Balance that with MEL and PVG.

wharvey Sep 10, 2014 2:17 pm

This is already being discussed in another thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ited-club.html

sbm12 Sep 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by andrewwm (Post 23506155)
No. ASMs are up, regional flights are down slightly.

Mainline passenger share (and total pax count) is also up YoY. For the TTM ending May 2012 AA had the largest share of any operator at LAX (18.42% to UA 16.12%). By May 2013 the TTM numbers were 18.69% UA to 18.54% AA. And May 2014 TTM (most recent data published by DoT) says 18.82% UA to 17.76% AA. In May 2011 UA was third behind AA and WN.

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1

Yeah, definitely shrinking.

cerealmarketer Sep 10, 2014 2:29 pm

For a non-hub United is putting more investment into the LAX terminal than either American or Delta with the renovations coming up. An entire new level will be added for the premium lounge.

The plans last year had both a regular United Club and a Global Services lounge as part of it.

Eventually that existing first class lounge soon to be temporary United Club will be offices which get moved to make room for new security lanes in the ticketing lobby.

I look forward to being able to try the temporary lounge upstairs, which should keep it less crowded than the other.

channa Sep 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 23506278)
For a non-hub United is putting more investment into the LAX terminal than either American or Delta with the renovations coming up. An entire new level will be added for the premium lounge.

Perhaps from a capital standpoint, but not from an operational standpoint.

When DL is flying only 2-cabin aircraft into or out of LAX, they have already invested significantly in the market above what their competitors are flying.

Not to mention, DL started the Shuttle LAX-SFO just a year or two ago, and has really ramped up its West Coast service with flights in high frequency local markets (e.g., LAX-OAK/SJC/SMF), that is also significant investment. They've also beefed up Hawaii service, while UA has reduced frequency and aircraft size on many Hawaii routes.

AA has similarly started some new markets (LAX-SMF comes to mind) also trumping UA's frequency to the point that aside from LAX-SFO, UA is for many, practically irrelevant for intra-California from LAX.

And let's not forget UA's route cuts to good sized West Coast cities (LAX-SJC, LAX-PDX).

The new clubs may be nice, but if UA isn't going to where people need to be going, what's the point?

Bookexp Sep 10, 2014 3:08 pm

This statement is contrary to the report .http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=798.

If anything, LAX is expanding. 2013 was the best year only after 2000.

In 2013, UA is LAX #1 carrier with 10,979,822 passengers.
In 2012, UA (UA + CO in the report) is around 9,980,000.

In the first 7 month in 2014 , UA does lose marketing share (15.33% vs 2013 16.47%). But the international loads are second only after Alaska in LAX.