FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1501281-facilities-changes-united-lax-including-new-united-club.html)

ReporterBrian Sep 6, 2013 1:37 pm

Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club

I'm a reporter covering Southern California aviation for the Los Angeles News Group. I learned recently that United Airlines seeks $400 million of upgrades at LAX. Here's my story.

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/...inal-upgrades/

Have a good news tip? Email me at [email protected]

FriendlySkies Sep 6, 2013 1:44 pm

It's about time. My only wish is that the new lounge keeps the FT guestbook in the copy/FedEx room.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...minal-7-a.html

Duke787 Sep 6, 2013 1:45 pm

Definitely a good move especially if it results in a new T7 UC on par with the new club at ORD.

If I'm reading correctly though basically United is putting up $34 million and the balance (some $379 million) is being covered by LAWA?

In all, United plans to invest about $413 million in improvements, mainly in Terminal 7. Los Angeles World Airports will pay for the bulk of upgrades through cash and rental credits. United will be on the hook for roughly $34 million for what are considering “proprietary” improvements.

Good on UA for getting that kind of support especially since they can (and are) marketing it as though they (United) are making $400m in improvements when in reality UA itself is only contributing $34m to the improvements.

TakeTheATrain Sep 6, 2013 1:46 pm

I really hope they add showers at the LAX United Club.

nova08 Sep 6, 2013 1:52 pm

Hopefully the new club is quite expansive considering the T6 club is closing. The T7 club now is a pretty good size but it still can be tough to even find a seat.

TA Sep 6, 2013 2:12 pm

Well is the story that United is slow to catch up, or that LAWA management and operating methods in general are not conducive to it being a leading airport (customer experience-wise)?

exerda Sep 6, 2013 2:18 pm

It is good news, but I have to ask: when the heck is UA going to work with the MWAA to get a new midfield concourse at IAD? I know we're not the biggest hub, but our "temporary" dump of a terminal really needs to be replaced and made into a flagship for the new UA and the national capital region.

bmr12 Sep 6, 2013 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 21400623)
It is good news, but I have to ask: when the heck is UA going to work with the MWAA to get a new midfield concourse at IAD? I know we're not the biggest hub, but our "temporary" dump of a terminal really needs to be replaced and made into a flagship for the new UA and the national capital region.

Amen. Any major Capex by UA should be going toward IAD first. And I don't even live in that timezone!

LarkSFO Sep 6, 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 21400458)
Definitely a good move especially if it results in a new T7 UC on par with the new club at ORD.

If I'm reading correctly though basically United is putting up $34 million and the balance (some $379 million) is being covered by LAWA?

In all, United plans to invest about $413 million in improvements, mainly in Terminal 7. Los Angeles World Airports will pay for the bulk of upgrades through cash and rental credits. United will be on the hook for roughly $34 million for what are considering “proprietary” improvements.

Good on UA for getting that kind of support especially since they can (and are) marketing it as though they (United) are making $400m in improvements when in reality UA itself is only contributing $34m to the improvements.

There is nothing odd about this...

IAH and SFO follow the same model.

The airport is the landlord, the airlines are just the tenant.

Maxwell Smart Sep 6, 2013 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 21400623)

+1

The current LAX T6/7/8 is much more tolerable than the current IAD C/D.

Why they prioritized LAX over IAD for renovations confuses me.

Edit-- Oh, wait, now I see that LAWA is paying the bulk of this, not UA.

LarkSFO Sep 6, 2013 2:26 pm

Brian -

Thanks for the post, appreciate it.

Please follow up with the results of next Tuesday's (9/10?) meeting!

"United’s plan must still be approved by the seven-member Los Angeles Airport Commission. It next meets on Tuesday."

1kBill Sep 6, 2013 3:30 pm

Nail, meet hammer!

Snip:

“It’s a terminal in massive need of everything form aesthetic improvements to more substantive improvements to things that you can’t see under the walls,” said Henry Harteveldt, an airline industry analyst at Hudson Crossing in San Francisco. “It’s an old building.”

Amen!

SF1K Sep 6, 2013 3:38 pm

“To an extent United is keeping up with the Jones’s,” Harteveldt said. “They are investing money because if the don’t their competitors will have better terminals to offer and better airport experiences to offer.”

Ah yes - the World's Leading Airline, always following. LOL

LarkSFO Sep 6, 2013 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 21401019)
“To an extent United is keeping up with the Jones’s,” Harteveldt said. “They are investing money because if the don’t their competitors will have better terminals to offer and better airport experiences to offer.”

Ah yes - the World's Leading Airline, always following. LOL

It's "The world's largest airline"...

Read more of Harteveldt's work, see what you think of him.

goalie Sep 6, 2013 4:00 pm

Good news to hear ^ and perhaps in my lifetime, IAD will follow suit ;) tho if I may be picky, the article is about United with United in the headline so why is there an Air Tahiti jet in the photo and only AA and DL visible in the background? ;)