FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1501281-facilities-changes-united-lax-including-new-united-club.html)

sbm12 Sep 8, 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by 808oman (Post 21410236)
There must be lots of structural, mechanical and infrastructure costs on this project.

There are.

But I'm not sure where you're getting the $11,000/sf number. There is more going on than just the new club build-out. Something to the tune of 25,000sf on the floor above it for mechanical, as well as rebuilding a whole lot of the interior space to move baggage screening equipment, TSA checkpoints and offices. More than 85,000sf is being built new and just under 7,400sf is being demolished. Plus all the space being modified. See page 22 of the PDF for the full details.

matrixwalker2012 Sep 8, 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 21401019)
“To an extent United is keeping up with the Jones’s,” Harteveldt said. “They are investing money because if the don’t their competitors will have better terminals to offer and better airport experiences to offer.”

Ah yes - the World's Leading Airline, always following. LOL

If United is keeping up with the Jones's, then I guess the Jones's aren't so well off these days :D

username Sep 8, 2013 9:08 pm

I don't use LAX a lot and when I do, it is most for connection. I think the lobby/security experience is not great and the United Club is sort of crowded and plain. So, I can see why the focus is on them. AS moved to T6 a while back and the lobby was amazing. I would think the Lobby and United Club would want some of that LA fancy :D

The rest of it is actually OK for me - obviously the T6, 7, 8 layout is not the greatest for connections but it is not that bad. I actually enjoy the concourse between T7 and T8 - it feels very LA casual. The "Friendly Skies" pictures of the staff is sort of nice.

Having flown in/out of T6 in my younger days, I sort of don't want it too change too much. Sometimes I take a detour to retrace those younger days... I even have a picture of me sitting in a UA 767 cockpit at LAX when I arrived from JFK for summer vacation...

exerda Sep 9, 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 21405338)
It still requires some CapEx from UA. And for years leading up to the merger they routinely spent nil unless absolutely necessary to keep the books looking good as they pursued the deal.

Absolutely. Now, though, it's time for them to start spending those CapEx $$ to get things moving.

UAgeek71 Sep 9, 2013 9:56 am

What about the IFL - Stays?, Gets some updates?, goes away all together????

exerda Sep 9, 2013 9:57 am

Originally Posted by UAgeek71 (Post 21413697)
What about the IFL - Stays?, Gets some updates?, goes away all together????

The article said the existing IFL will become UA office space, but that they will have one inside the new club space, IIRC.

NickP 1K Sep 20, 2013 10:01 am

Airport Commissioners approved this; now goes to City Council for final approval

Was part of lease renewal/adjust for United: http://ens.lacity.org/lawa/bac_agend...6_09172013.pdf

mgcsinc Feb 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Took a look today at the plan for the improvements to Terminal 7 for the first time today, and it made for interesting reading:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/Ou...ust%202013.pdf

To summarize (much of which is already in this thread in bits and pieces): There will now be dedicated security entrances for "Concourse" 8 and Terminal 7. The T8 entrance will be at the far Eastern end and have 5 lanes running East-West. The T7 entrance will be above the current security setup and will extend deep into the terminal, with 12 lanes running North-South. The purported basic purpose of this whole project is this security rejiggering, but it will cause a cascade of other required "enabling" projects:

- The new security lanes will push out the United Club. A new United Club will be built above the new security setup (nominally Floor 4) and will consolidate at least the T7 UC and the GFL.

- The mechanical plant will be moved from the roof to a new level above the new UC (nominally Floor 5), and will be expanded to handle the additional demand created by the addition of space.

- UA customer service offices will be displaced by the new checkpoint as well, and will move to the current location of the GFL.

- Various ticketing offices displaced by the new T8 security will be moved around.

- Various things will be freshened up.

The order of operations is:

1. Complete structural strengthening.

2. Build shell on top of existing structure.

3. Create and open new United Club and plant.

4. Demolish old UC and GFL.

5. Create new security checkpoint.

Anyone have any updates on timing of the final approval, etc.?

mkrecek Feb 13, 2014 11:29 pm

It looks like the new club would be 35,121 square feet. (or 29,000 s.f.?)
Also, is there not going to be a global first lounge? (possibly part of the new lounge?)

Additional info:
Current Clubs:
- 13,025 s.f. lounge area in the Concourse Level of Terminal 7,
- 6,000 s.f. lounge area in the Concourse Level of Terminal 6,
- 4,000 s.f. First Class/International lounge area in the mezzanine of Terminal 7.

The two United Club lounges in Terminal 7 will be displaced as a result of the consolidated and centralized SSCP, and the United Club lounge in Terminal 6 will be displaced as a result of the LAWA Terminal Concession Manager retail program. Hence the new 29,000 s.f. United Club at the new Level 4 of Terminal 7 is an enabling project for the consolidated and centralized SSCP.

If you are interested in the main projects at LAX: http://la-next.com/index2.html

love_to_travel Feb 14, 2014 2:41 am

This bridge is going to be awesome.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2882/...f12605b1_o.png

mgcsinc Feb 14, 2014 9:06 am

Originally Posted by love_to_travel (Post 22346864)

They're not actually doing that for transit to the midfield concourse, are they? That looks crazy.

Very glad that it seems like UA will be staying in 7 et al -- though they do have plenty of experience with using a midfield terminal... :D

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 14, 2014 9:26 am

Looks like they're replicating the T6 security set up at T7. Escalators up to UC just beyond. If UA does it right, UC could have awesome 360-deg view.

Critic Feb 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Dumb question: Why is T8 considered a 'concourse' and not a 'terminal'?

uastarflyer Feb 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 22348280)
Quote:

Originally Posted by love_to_travel

They're not actually doing that for transit to the midfield concourse, are they? That looks crazy.

Very glad that it seems like UA will be staying in 7 et al -- though they do have plenty of experience with using a midfield terminal...

What midfield terminal? I thought LAX is a horseshoe T1-T8

mgcsinc Feb 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 22350438)
What midfield terminal? I thought LAX is a horseshoe T1-T8

It is... For now...

(See the rendering above.)